PU Switch Hack - is there a better way?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7839
    pmbomb said:
    Some good suggestions there thanks folks. Yeah offsetting the toggle might help. Even reducing the height might - it's the merest brush of fingertips (I don't even feel it, I know it's happened by hearing) to change it. So good point from mistercharlie too.

Is this a tall switch, compared say to Fenders? I make it about 23mm vertical.

You could bend the metal bit of the switch over - 45 degrees or more, then it would be both lower and further away.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @Paul_C ; yeah that would suffice, my hunch though is it would break before it would bend, it feels quite brittle. Maybe I'll get a spare first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72580
    If it’s a decent quality switch - it looks like it, from the shape and colour of the shaft I think it’s a CRL or Oak Grigsby - it will bend over safely. But be careful - you need to do it with the switch in the middle position and hold the shaft with pliers, or it will bend over too close to the pickguard and you then won’t be able to get it into the end positions.

(Common when people do this to Telecasters to fix the switch/knob conflict problem.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Thanks - it looks like the original switch, it's on a 20 year old Schecter custom shop super strat.