Strat 5 way switch question, custom wiring help please?

Folks.
The CNC machine (not mine) should start cutting my St Vincent inspired body today, so I'm now considering wiring options...
Mine will have three P90's, which will be wired through a Start 5 way switch and 1 vol 1 tone..........the real thing is Mini buckers wired (from switch in normal Strat bridge position) Bridge/Middle/Neck/All Three/Bridge and Neck together........can I do this with my P90's and just the Strat switch?

A photo of a drawing,  scrawled on the back of an envelope would be appreciated, if not possible then it will be wired as a normal Start........

Cheers!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72596
    edited February 2018
    paulnb57 said:

Mine will have three P90's, which will be wired through a Start 5 way switch and 1 vol 1 tone..........the real thing is Mini buckers wired (from switch in normal Strat bridge position) Bridge/Middle/Neck/All Three/Bridge and Neck together........can I do this with my P90's and just the Strat switch?
    No, but it can easily be done with a Superswitch.

The simplest way to get the sounds you want (although not quite in exactly the order) with a standard Strat switch is to use a push-pull pot to turn on the bridge pickup in any position. I did that with a PRS Custom 22 Soapbar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Doing it @ICBM’s way will also let you use the strat’s in-between positions, which you can’t do on the St. Vincent (except by balancing the switch between clicks). 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3072
    The way the body is bevelled it might not give enough room for a pull pot I'll have to see when it gets here....if not I'll go with standard Strat.....
    Thanks folks!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72596
    paulnb57 said:
    The way the body is bevelled it might not give enough room for a pull pot I'll have to see when it gets here....if not I'll go with standard Strat.....
    A Superswitch should fit where a normal Strat one would, unless the cavity is unusually narrow.

Another one to consider if you can't get either a push-pull or a Superswitch to fit is to deliberately use the 'wrong' order on the switch, swapping the neck and middle pickups, so it goes bridge/bridge+neck/neck/neck+middle/middle, that would get you at least one of the extra sounds you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3072
    @ICBM Agreed a Superswitch should fit in the same space as a Standard Strat switch, controls will be rear mounted through the top and the cavity will be same shape as a Tele.....will the standard switch do standard Strat except all three at "Bridge" position rather than just bridge?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    paulnb57 said:
    will the standard switch do standard Strat except all three at "Bridge" position rather than just bridge?
    No, it will not. 

It can be persuaded to do all three in either position two or position four. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.