What song made you want to play guitar ?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Initially, "Be Bold, Be Strong, For The Lord Your God Is With You." Someone was playing guitar to lead the singing at the Scripture Union Holiday Club I was helping on. I was a piano-player at the time, but I realised I needed to learn guitar so as not to miss out on leading the music at venues where there was no piano.

Electric, "Scuttle Buttin' " by Stevie Ray Vaughan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3074
    Purple Haze. Still makes the hairs on my arms stand up... I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard. I taped Jimi Plays Monterey on C4 one night - next morning I'd got the battered acoustic down from the loft.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Still remember, age 11,  feeling completely electrified by the main riff kicking in and wanting to be able to play it
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Highway star
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Whitesnake - Here i go again (87 hair-metal version)

That got me into music during my early teens 13-14,but i didn't get a guitar till i was about 16 (worked in a chippy processing spuds for 2 years to save for it) only had that for about 2 months till i swapped it for a Jazz bass,then i ended up playing just bass for about 22 years!

Got back into guitars about 4 years ago mostly because of Opeth and Pink Floyd

I like to say now that I dont play bass like a guitarist and i no longer play guitar like a bassist ;)
  • Not sure exactly what song it was but it was probably Queen...
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Probably 'A Farewell to Kings' by Rush for me - my brother used to play it endlessly to me when I was a kid, along with other such proggy epics.  I was probably the only kid in my school who could hum all of 'Passion Play' by Jethro Tull. :D

Man, did I get beaten up for that.  :))

Probably Roobarb and Custard too, thinking about it.  One of my old bands used to cover that in a rather heavy metal style.  Much fun. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    The first song which made me aware that the sound I was hearing was a guitar was Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

But the record which made me decide I wanted to actually start playing was the first Michael Schenker Group album in 1980.  I got an Arbiter Les Paul copy the next Christmas.

And 34 years later I'm still fucking hopeless.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited September 2014
    Cliché but its Sweet child o mine and Stairway for me! With a good kick up the arse from Telegraph Road by Dire Straits too. At least, thats what inspired me the second time. When I actually got a guitar!

The first time I was desperate to pick it up was after seeing the video to My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade.
    I was desperate for an all white Epi Les Paul Special II GT (it had a trem on it)

About 4 years later after stairway etc. I got a Vintage sunburst Epi Les Paul Special II because I wanted to be slash and his gibson custom (which I still want) was a plaintop Sunburst.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • I burst into my living room after school one day to see Slash playing Sweet Child O' Mine on VH1 Classic, and that's what did it. The image, the tone, the amazing song - it hooked me. I bought a £20 nylon from Argos the next day and saved a whole year into order to buy my first electric (pacifica). Still my fave player to this day.
  • Brian may