What song made you want to play guitar ?

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    When I was a lad, and first wanted to play, it wasn't any particular song - it was the whole 70's glam rock thing, that made me want to play. I didn't really see it through, though, and decided to try again when I was 18, so I could set my own lyrics to music.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Niallmo said:
    Layla - IIRC it was used on a Vauxhall Nova advert some time in the eighties. It sounded amazing. I always thought that if I could play that I could truly say I could play guitar.

IIR Poxhall couldn't/didn't want to afford the copyright costs on the Clapton version, so had a new version recorded and the riff is *slightly* different to differentiate it from the original.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It was appetite for destruction, though it wasn't hearing the album it was watching my brother's vhs of Gn'R live at the Ritz, they play the whole album through. I remember thinking how cool the guitarist with the big hair was, how he commanded the stage while just playing guitar.

I must have gone on to watch that tape a few hundred times after that, was quite chuffed to find the whole show on YouTube the other week.
  • Where The Streets Have No Name

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    The opening riff from "Money for Nothing". It just floored me.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2014
    "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy, but really, it was the whole "Live and Dangerous" album!
    Van Halen's "Eruption" too.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27508
    What song ?

What "song"???

Are you mad?  

I didn't start playing guitar because of a song.

It was because of a girl.

(Well, girl*s* in general probably, rather than any one in particular).

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The rhubarb and custard theme music originally Then "Alive" by Pearl Jam which also introduced me to Jimi Hendrix "Rainy Day Dream Away"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    kelvinburn;187561" said:
    The rhubarb and custard theme music originally

Then "Alive" by Pearl Jam which also introduced me to Jimi Hendrix "Rainy Day Dream Away"
    Pearl jam probably my all time fav band, while everyone though nirvana were the saviour of music I always rather listen to Eddie and co. Yellow Ledbetter is an excellent nod to Hendrix.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Not everyone ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    If anything, I think it might have been this one actually - my cousin (same age as me) played guitar, and was into Simon & Garfunkel - I guess there was some influence. And I always liked this song...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    It was because of a girl.

(Well, girl*s* in general probably, rather than any one in particular).
    This is the Gene Simmons approach I remember him saying he formed a band after seeing the Beatles on TV not because he liked their music, but because of the number of screaming girls in the crowd. 

I actually succeeded in this mission by impressing my future Mrs at the age of 16 with a rendition of Cigarettes and Alcohol and Don't Dream It's Over (using my recently purchased chorus).

Back to the question at hand the riff I really remember wanting to play was Sweat Leaf. It's just so brutal sounding. 

• underdog said:
    kelvinburn;187561" said:
    The rhubarb and custard theme music originally image

Then "Alive" by Pearl Jam which also introduced me to Jimi Hendrix "Rainy Day Dream Away"
    Pearl jam probably my all time fav band, while everyone though nirvana were the saviour of music I always rather listen to Eddie and co. Yellow Ledbetter is an excellent nod to Hendrix.

Whilst in fact Alice In Chains were better than both bands :p

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I didn't even want to play guitar. I wanted drums. Unfortunately there was zero chance of my parents ever allowing a kit in their house so guitar came in second. I think Hey Joe (Jimi's version) did it for me. I still remember hearing JH for the first time sitting in my mum and dads living room, going through their old records. An important moment in my life.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

RocknRollDave;187598" said:
    underdog said:

kelvinburn;187561" said:The rhubarb and custard theme music originally

Whilst in fact Alice In Chains were better than both bands :p
    AIC were great for a bit, but not for long enough sadly. There's very few bands out there with the quality of output PJ produce, also excellent live.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    Many songs made me 'want' to play guitar, but Metallica's 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' was the first thing my mate showed me how to play. I couldn't believe how simple the intro and verse riffs were and he had a chorus pedal too which added to the magic. Just like the record!!
    I bought a guitar, we learned the whole song and then I learned the rest of Master of Puppets. That was my 'beginners lessons'.
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Well... I got a bass for christmas, because it looked like it might sound like 'holiday in cambodia' by the Dead Kennedys. And I liked the look of the guy from Dinosaur Jr's Rickenbacker. Then I bought a Hohner strat copy because I liked the jaggy sound in something or other by Wire I'd heard on a Melody Maker cassette, and logically thought I might need a smaller guitar to do that….
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Dogs by Pink Floyd
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Originally, it was the Shadow's "Wonderful Land", then "Layla", then "Sultan's of Swing". If it wasn't for my wife buying me an acoustic for a Xmas pressie in 1998, I probably wouldn't have started yet 8-|
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom