Roadworn 'guitars' for video gamers..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    At the point when you're paying for that sort of thing (which isn't cheap, I bet) for a videogame, I can't help but wonder why you don't just learn to play a real guitar.
    'Cos they're different things.

Same as I own a car, but I still play driving games, and I play Skyrim even though I go out most days to fight dragons and pick flowers while working my way to the top of the Thieves' Guild.

But driving games don't resemble the sort of driving you can realistically (legally, survivably etc) expect to do in real life, do they? I don't think anyone would pay for a driving game called Commute, or School Run. 

Exactly - as I said, they're different things.

Guitar Hero is a middle ground between pretending to play guitar with a tennis racket, and actually playing guitar, in the same way that a driving game is a middle ground between playing with matchbox cars on the carpet and actually entering Formula 1.

Rocksmith is the next step up again. Actually, I'd say Rocksmith is better than playing in a real band, because the rest of the band is always in tune and in time, they let you practice over and over, you get excellent feedback on your playing, and the audience almost always cheers at the end.

Not everyone wants to play an instrument, and not wanting to play an instrument doesn't make them a lesser person.
    Wis duly awarded. Some people just want to play a video game for an hour every now and then and aren’t looking for a lifelong hobby. No harm in that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also, I expect GH has led a great number of people into ultimately learning the instrument. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    Actually on the higher levels it’s quite an exercise in finger independence :)
    good fun
    also learn some new songs 
    good way of getting kids to want to play, develop some timing and some left hand finger mobility 

gotta be better than giving them a 6 string acoustic and teaching them F and D chords 
    Yep, fully support this
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Also, I expect GH has led a great number of people into ultimately learning the instrument. 
    I'd definitely count it among my influences. It led me to research Rocksmith, which led me to buy my first electric and taught me the early steps whilst having some fun. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I'd definitely count it among my influences. It led me to research Rocksmith, which led me to buy my first electric and taught me the early steps whilst having some fun. 
    I played GH a LONG time before I ever picked up a real guitar in any serious fashion. There’s songs that I only know existed because of it and some are still in my library now!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @Legionreturns ; Surely there’s a game where you get a big sword and a spell in order to slay Dragonforce...