Roadworn 'guitars' for video gamers..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6221
It comes to something when players of Guitar Hero want relic'd .. ahem.. instruments.

Is there no shame :dissapointed: 

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/wp-content/uploads/mad-catz-premium-telecaster-guitar-1.jpg
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
9reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Painted Player expands into other markets.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3675
    The Painted Player expands into other markets.
    I know for a fact ha has relic'd his favourite arm chair. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair, there are no surviving guitar hero guitar controllers from the 50's, so we have no idea if this is accurate relicing or not. 

As long as it's made out of the appropriate tone plastics I'm ok with it.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At the point when you're paying for that sort of thing (which isn't cheap, I bet) for a videogame, I can't help but wonder why you don't just learn to play a real guitar.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    At the point when you're paying for that sort of thing (which isn't cheap, I bet) for a videogame, I can't help but wonder why you don't just learn to play a real guitar.

Wis. I tried guitar hero at my sister's place once (it's a bit like sight-reading tablature really), and on the harder levels I just thought - why don't people just put the same effort into learning how to play a real instrument?

A classic "cognitive dissonance" moment.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    They need to get out more.
    Live reality instead of the virtual version.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2825
    Actually on the higher levels it’s quite an exercise in finger independence :)
    good fun
    also learn some new songs 
    good way of getting kids to want to play, develop some timing and some left hand finger mobility 

gotta be better than giving them a 6 string acoustic and teaching them F and D chords 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    At the point when you're paying for that sort of thing (which isn't cheap, I bet) for a videogame, I can't help but wonder why you don't just learn to play a real guitar.
    'Cos they're different things.

Same as I own a car, but I still play driving games, and I play Skyrim even though I go out most days to fight dragons and pick flowers while working my way to the top of the Thieves' Guild.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I got proper obsessed with Guitar Hero 2 when it released. And playing that little plastic guitar was about the only Explorer guitar I'd like to play. They actually are damn good fun, especially when played with mates. 
    I'd never get myself some fancy new roadworn controller for it though.
  • Sporky said:

Same as I own a car, but I still play driving games, and I play Skyrim even though I go out most days to fight dragons and pick flowers while working my way to the top of the Thieves' Guild.

But driving games don't resemble the sort of driving you can realistically (legally, survivably etc) expect to do in real life, do they? I don't think anyone would pay for a driving game called Commute, or School Run. 

And you haven't spent money on a purpose built car chassis to sit in your living room, with realistic oil smells and mud on the fenders to play Colin McRae Rally, have you?

...have you?

On the other hand, if you wanted to, you could sit in your living room and play guitar to a backing track, then pat yourself on the back afterwards for how well you did it. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Guitar Hero is good fun and isn’t really aimed st people who are interested in genuinely learning an instrument. 

This is just a video game controller at the end of the day, and people pay a premium for ‘normal’ ones with a custom paint job (Microsoft will make you one in any colour combination you want for example) 

I get why it seems gimmicky to a community of people who actually DO want to learn an instrument, but that’s not really who GH is aimed at. But ultimately anything like this which may lead people down the path of exploring learning the guitar should be seen as a good thing IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    One of the positive knock on effects of Guitar Hero is that it opens up a whole new range of music for a generation who probably wouldn’t hear it otherwise. Certainly true of my kids - who were suddenly conversant with Smoke On The Water, Paranoid and other Classic Rock staples. 
  • AlexC said:
    One of the positive knock on effects of Guitar Hero is that it opens up a whole new range of music for a generation who probably wouldn’t hear it otherwise. Certainly true of my kids - who were suddenly conversant with Smoke On The Water, Paranoid and other Classic Rock staples. 
    Sadly, they also picked up on the existence of Dragonforce and their one song. GH3 has a lot to answer for.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16858

A work friends brother plays guitar hero for a living.  He has a worldwide audience of subscribers.  It's his only income and he has paid off most of his mortgage, so he clearly isn't too badly from it. 

He certainly makes more from guitar hero than most of here make from playing a real guitar.

Sorry old folks, that makes playing guitar hero an actual profession for some.  Why wouldn't a professional want a suitable tool? 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    During my younger days I managed to ‘relic’ a couple of normal Xbox controllers thanks to FIFA rage :lol: 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2825
    AlexC said:
    Sadly, they also picked up on the existence of Dragonforce and their one song. GH3 has a lot to answer for.

2 at least
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    During my younger days I managed to ‘relic’ a couple of normal Xbox controllers thanks to FIFA rage :lol: 

FIFA rage ...Because it was a bag of shite? Never understood the fanboy obsession. I refuse to give EA money...the parasitic knob heads! 

Anyway... PES was and is better

BRISTOL86 said:

FIFA rage ...Because it was a bag of shite? Never understood the fanboy obsession. I refuse to give EA money...the parasitic knob heads! 

Anyway... PES was and is better
    Yes EA/FIFA are a bag of shite but PES has been woeful ever since the PS3/360. I was seriously addicted to Ultimate Team for a spell in my 20s, luckily I’m over it now!

Old school ISS/Pro Evo on the PS2 was the glory days! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    Sporky said:

But driving games don't resemble the sort of driving you can realistically (legally, survivably etc) expect to do in real life, do they? I don't think anyone would pay for a driving game called Commute, or School Run. 

Exactly - as I said, they're different things.

Guitar Hero is a middle ground between pretending to play guitar with a tennis racket, and actually playing guitar, in the same way that a driving game is a middle ground between playing with matchbox cars on the carpet and actually entering Formula 1.

Rocksmith is the next step up again. Actually, I'd say Rocksmith is better than playing in a real band, because the rest of the band is always in tune and in time, they let you practice over and over, you get excellent feedback on your playing, and the audience almost always cheers at the end.

Not everyone wants to play an instrument, and not wanting to play an instrument doesn't make them a lesser person.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    AlexC said:

2 at least
    I had the misfortune to see them live once. They played the same song at least 8 times. 

The words might have been different but everything else was exactly the same. 

Fortunately they were saved by all three (!) of their support acts. Ale storm among them