Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you buy a new Gibson?

What's Hot

Comments

• Not whilst they insist on using that nitro lacquer stuff which picks up marks from everything from guitar stands to cases, crazes and even falls off in chunks. ;)
    You can say that, but there's plenty of us who wouldn't want one without the nitro finish...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, if it was what I wanted for the price.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    No, never really liked them, the only one I'd ever get is a Firebird VII, which they don't make.
    I wouldn't mind a Mick Taylor tribute SG. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    No I would not given the prices new and the little things wrong with them that niggle me. Used yes though if the price was right. I,ve been looking at the historic LPs over the past few weeks but would not entertain one based on the current new price.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    rico said:
    Sassafras said:
    No.
    Even if they had single coils?
    Good point.
    They're OK if they've got P90s.
  • Yes I would still buy Gibson, probably only Custom Shop but I'm glad I got my 2016 R8 at the price it was. They are £1K more expensive now.

It's a really great sounding and playing guitar.

• i wouldnt buy any new guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really fancy the new LP classic. But not at £1800. Maybe when they are reduced
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    they don't make the Luther Dickinson 335 P90 I really lusted for any longer and the lemon burst vintage light relic LP I liked is a silly £6500+ last time I looked and is no way I would spend that! especially on a Gibson!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/a3/df/c3a3df05b85b219404bf585f377707d9.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/dc/90/65dc90496cab7a233c7e634ab55be50b.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I wouldn't completely rule it out but I'd say highly unlikely at current prices.   I currently own 3 Gibsons, 1 bought new, 2 bought used.  My general position is other manufacturers offer better vfm but Gibson has the iconic badge and easier resale. 

Unlike most Gibson fans I'd be happy to see tradition take a back seat to modern improvements, especially if done subtly.  Locking tuners, more versatile electronics, big frets, a decent trem system.  I might find it difficult to resist another Axcess if it had a PRS or Suhr type trem instead of the Floyd (mine's a stop-tail).

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Yes, if I had the spare cash I would have a gold top Classic and a Traditional, no question.
  • Unlikely. Bought one back in August last year. Admittedly it was from the bottom tier of the Les Paul line but quality and workmanship-wise its fine. I think most of all I just prefer the 25.5" scale of Fenders, but elements such as the stupid headstock angle and brittle neck make me agree with Blueingreen above. 
    Unlike most Gibson fans I'd be happy to see tradition take a back seat to modern improvements, especially if done subtly.  Locking tuners, more versatile electronics, big frets, a decent trem system.  I might find it difficult to resist another Axcess if it had a PRS or Suhr type trem instead of the Floyd (mine's a stop-tail).

I remember in another thread here reading ICBM mentioned how Gibson for a time made the headstock angle more acute and the neck stronger, but reverted the change due to Traditionalist whining. I just can't get on with that kind of attitude from a manufacturer. 
  • I think adjusted for inflation the prices are pretty similar today what they would have been thirty to thirty-five years ago (from what I remember with my nose pressed up against guitar shop windows). Not that they weren't overpriced then, but there was a lot less competition from other high-quality manufacturers (although I remember a lot of sneering at Japanese guitars, which are now revered). Thing is, I suspect that it's been erroneously burned into my head that £900 is what a Les Paul costs.
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    edited February 2018
    I've bought 3 new ones over the last few years. All great guitars and good value.
    2014 SG standard in Walnut £800
    2016 Firebird V £700
    2017 Les Paul Tribute T Gold Top £620

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w4wZe2tYhpPnLeG02

• kt66 said:
    I wouldn't mind a Mick Taylor tribute SG. 
    I thought he used a Derek Trucks signature SG?

Bloody hell, demo a few pedals and Gibson release a guitar with your name on it....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    If it's a Les Paul Junior double-cut in correctly implemented TV yellow, and the price is right - I'll still want to try it first!
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Possibly, an original shaped DC Junior/Special with a fat/round neck with case @ £900 - 1000, can't be that hard for a cnc produced guitar.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    edited February 2018
    No, because - despite the hundred-plus "new" models they've released in the last few years - they still haven't made a guitar which isn't an ergonomic nightmare compared with every other guitar I own.
    <space for hire>
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Nah, badly designed old men’s guitars. I still buy at least one a year though it seems.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I have a Gibson and an Epi. And I have noticed that I am playing less and less 6 string and mor bass. Not inclined to sell any of my 6 strings yet....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum