Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you buy a new Gibson?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• gibbygibby Frets: 50
    Sorry if I upset anyone, but Gibson were fooked when they introduced chambered guitars around 2008 (?)..I owned 2 (a 2008 and a later 2011, both STD's). Very well put together, maybe too well, BUT NO personality to them and the TONE I'd expected from a good LP just wasn't there..NO BALLS!  Yes, weight can be an issue with older models, but if you ain't got character, is doesn't matter how good looking you are!...And, to add to that demise, there was the auto-tuning black box on the headstock added a few years later. To be honest, I've not played a recent model, but why would I?...TOO expensive ,and in my mind I already have what I need.(numerous LP's from 70's, 80's and 90's)...(and I use a PRS when my back is playing up!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited February 2018
    gibby said:
    Sorry if I upset anyone, but Gibson were fooked when they introduced chambered guitars around 2008 (?)..I owned 2 (a 2008 and a later 2011, both STD's). Very well put together, maybe too well, BUT NO personality to them and the TONE I'd expected from a good LP just wasn't there..NO BALLS! 
    Gibson have been using some form of weight relief for about 35 years on most Les Pauls. Vintage - as in 50s examples - were light(ish) due to using light mahogany. Those guitars sound quite bright - with a very open, clear sounding mid range. For most players, they represent the tonal ‘ holy grail’ - so it’s not surprising that Gibson has tried to get nearer to it over time.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    gibby said:
    Sorry if I upset anyone, but Gibson were fooked when they introduced chambered guitars around 2008 (?)..I owned 2 (a 2008 and a later 2011, both STD's). Very well put together, maybe too well, BUT NO personality to them and the TONE I'd expected from a good LP just wasn't there..NO BALLS!  Yes, weight can be an issue with older models, but if you ain't got character, is doesn't matter how good looking you are!...
    Interesting that you should say that (and not in the least upsetting). I have had a chambered R8 VOS Les Paul since 2008. IIRC I told the chap in the shop I was looking for a Les Paul, but found the weight a bit off-putting. He handed me this chambered R8 (used), I tried it, I loved it - it did everything it should. I hadn't come out intending to spend anything like that much money, so I eventually handed it back, then made my excuses and left.

After a spot of lunch with Mrs Keefy I went back to the shop and tried maybe 9 different Les Pauls, but none compared to the chambered R8. Out came the credit card...

There are obviously a fair few differences between a regular LP and the Custom Shop equivalent, but what I don't know is whether the chambering is done in the same way.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    gibby said:
    Sorry if I upset anyone, but Gibson were fooked when they introduced chambered guitars around 2008 (?)..I owned 2 (a 2008 and a later 2011, both STD's). Very well put together, maybe too well, BUT NO personality to them and the TONE I'd expected from a good LP just wasn't there..NO BALLS! 
    Gibson have been using some form of weight relief for about 35 years on most Les Pauls. Vintage - as in 50s examples - were light(ish) due to using light mahogany. Those guitars sound quite bright - with a very open, clear sounding mid range. For most players, they represent the tonal ‘ holy grail’ - so it’s not surprising that Gibson has tried to get nearer to it over time.
    the only weight relief my studio has is lack of ponecy cap! It is solid, heavy AND has an Ebony fretboard to boot. Is a Monster Muncher...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/52/9b/22/529b224c4c97bd7faab4373212154ff0.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Quite apart from their ludicrous prices, the way they treat their workers, their shoddy quality control, their shameless exploitation of nonsensical 'mojo' in their marketing, the obnoxious far-right ' libertarian' political beliefs of Henry Juszkiewicz, the fact that the only real link with the original Gibson company is that HJ owns the brand name, I have now read that Gibson are not adverse to blatantly conning their customers - as with the fake 'bumblebee' capacitors they continue to sell at $129 a pair, which actually contain an ordinary 50-cents capacitor. The more I read the more I am determined never to buy a Gibson - they clearly believe that their customers are a bunch of idiots.

http://store.gibson.com/historic-spec-bumble-bee-capacitors-two-pack/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/historic-gibson-faux-bumblebee-caps.118027ac

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. Would love a new es-345 But i would have to try about 100 to find 'the one. But that's fun, so who cares?
  • Yes. Would love a new es-345 But i would have to try about 100 to find 'the one. But that's fun, so who cares?

I went looking for a high end gretsch and ended up buying a new es-345.
    If finances allow I will always buy the right guitar, new, used or whatever
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    edited February 2018
    Keefy said:
    There are obviously a fair few differences between a regular LP and the Custom Shop equivalent, but what I don't know is whether the chambering is done in the same way.

@Keefy I think these pictures might be a bit out of date, but:

Image result for gibson chambering

On the Custom Shop chambered LPs, the control cavity isn't closed, so it's more like this:

Image result for gibson chambering

http://www.chambered-reissue.org/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom