Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cinema seating

What's Hot

Comments

• Halfway back and middle for me too. We have a new Empire that has reclining seats but they cost twice as much as the regular ones so I've only looked at them longingly. The other good thing at Empire is that most seats have an arm rest on both sides which keeps you a reasonably safe distance from the rest of the audience. This can be a real bonus in Ipswich!
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I don’t go right for the back as if you’re going to get a group of morons this is where they’d normally be. I normally go for about 3/4 rows
    from the back, and centre. 
    Yeah but then you will be directly in front of them in direct firing line for popcorn, spit, bayonet attacks etc.

I was at a showing of Blair Witch when it came out and a bloke in a trenchcoat pulled out a baseball bat and twonked the bloke nearest to him who he didn't know.  Showing got stopped and the police came.

Slightly off topic though sorry.
  • "Patrons are reminded that the right hand side of the cinema is reserved for smoking only."
    It's hard to believe that smoking was allowed on one side of the cinema. I remember the anouncement on the screen, along with the Pearl and Dean tune and the one that told you you still had time to get a crappy hotdog in the foyer. Now it's just, please turn your phone off.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    munckee said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I don’t go right for the back as if you’re going to get a group of morons this is where they’d normally be. I normally go for about 3/4 rows
    Yeah but then you will be directly in front of them in direct firing line for popcorn, spit, bayonet attacks etc.

I was at a showing of Blair Witch when it came out and a bloke in a trenchcoat pulled out a baseball bat and twonked the bloke nearest to him who he didn't know.  Showing got stopped and the police came.

Did that actually happen?! Top stuff. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited February 2018
    How bored does one need to be at work in order to read a thread about other people's favourite cinema seat?

I'm off to the knitting thread......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2018
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    munckee said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Did that actually happen?! Top stuff. 
    Yep that really happened, bizarrely he was sitting right at the front.  Great choice though during creepy bit of a horror movie, aside from the dude who needed medical treatment everyone cacked themselves.  I think some people though it was a prank stunt until the lights came on and it clearly wasn't.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Last year I got to a screening of Inland Empire - the famously impenetrable David Lynch film - and settled into one of the last seats left, which was right at the end of the front row. So not the ideal viewing position. On the other hand, the cinema was completely packed with people who really wanted to see the film and were totally into it and it was an amazing experience. So there's that.

(Obviously, if Lynch isn't your bag, then it would have been quite different.)

On the other hand IMAX (especially 3D), I wonder why they bother with 70% of the seats, and won't usually buy a ticket unless the seat's in the 30% where I can actually see things. And only then for spectaculars like the trippier Marvel movies or Dunkirk. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22828

Depends on the cinema.  I personally like to be fairly close to the front, but not so close that you're actually looking up the screen like a cliff face.  And I like an aisle seat, in the centre block.

A bit further back if it's an IMAX screen, though.  I don't understand how anyone can cope with sitting in the first few rows (or indeed the back few rows) at an IMAX.

• ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    edited February 2018
    Im 5 min from a showcase xplus
    Every seat in every screen a large leather recliner with more leg room than ill ever need.
    Not too fussed about location, normally isle seat somewhere in the middle as far away from everyone else as possible.
    Never had a movie ruined because i couldnt see the massive fckn screen in front of my face, plenty ruined by loud inconsiderate chav wnkrs.
  • I only go to the local picturehouse, small intimate cinema with sofa seats at the back, a bar and can take your alcoholic drinks in. And seems to be filled with adults rather than teenagers, who seem to want the pop corn experience a big place brings.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    I only go to the local picturehouse, small intimate cinema with sofa seats at the back, a bar and can take your alcoholic drinks in. And seems to be filled with adults rather than teenagers, who seem to want the pop corn experience a big place brings.
    I like these places :) i went to the Electric Cinema on portabello road to see 'intestella' when that came out. Big bed right up the front, it was great!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Last time I went to the cinema there was some conbfusion over tickets.

I wanted a ticket to see the film. They appeared to be charging me for buying the entire bloody building. Let's charge a fortune for a mildly comfortable seat, sound that's too loud and the delights of having some phone-toting, drink-slurping,  evil-smelling-food-eating, unable-to-watch-a-film-without-continuously-talking idiots behind.

Yes, that's a great night out.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

The new cinema in Bournemouth (our local cinema) has got some snazzy seats at the front. 2 seat sofa jobbies which recline and have a table - they're quite good.

I could take in a pint too.

I had a lovely time, drank my beer then nodded off for an hour during the film

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    jellyroll said:
    How bored does one need to be at work in order to read a thread about other people's favourite cinema seat?

I'm off to the knitting thread......
    We do try to keep things fresh and entertaining round here. Next weeks' thread will be: do you use a coaster for hot drinks?

Hope the knitting chat will inspire you to knit a tiger jumper or something  ;)

Anyway, it's seems middle for diddle is the general consensus. Makes you wonder why all the other seats exist.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    The place to sit is the middle of the middle row.

You are then sat where everything is aimed - sound, 3D picture, etc. You will likely have TV the best visual and audio experience possible at that screen. 

Though you run the risk of a twat kicking your chair. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    In the middle/middle usually. Slightly off to one side is OK, or slightly further back.

In my nearest local cinema this used to be near the front row of the cheap seats behind the expensive ones, which was absolutely ideal.

But now they've converted the entire cinema to those horrible fake-leather reclining couches - not just the expensive seats, the whole thing - which I hate, and the capacity of the cinema has now been reduced by about half, so even if I wanted to go there it would probably be hard to get to good seats. I won't be going there again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Last time I went to the cinema we were guided to a seat by an usherette with a torch. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295