Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Helix LT or Pedals

What's Hot
wwwwww Frets: 72
So help me out guys...

I've been playing for about a year so still a beginner but I wanted to add a bit of sound variety to my playing so started looking at what pedal(s) I might get. Bit of a minefield for a newbie but then someone pointed me at the Line 6 Helix LT. I've got a nice amp that I'm happy with at the moment (Corso), but it seems that my options are either to start a pedal board or to sell the amp and get the Helix LT plus some speakers.

A couple of things that's pushing me towards the Helix is that it's a much tidier solution and that I can probably replicate (near enough) every sound I'm likely to want to try and reproduce, especially with the help of some IRs.

Given my current position, which way would you go?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1571
    Either option is great - I've gone helix Lt, but some will say real pedals still sound better. If you'd like to spend a lot less you get a lot of value from something like a used zoom G3, or the nova system I'm selling!
  • www said:
    So help me out guys...

I've been playing for about a year so still a beginner but I wanted to add a bit of sound variety to my playing so started looking at what pedal(s) I might get. Bit of a minefield for a newbie but then someone pointed me at the Line 6 Helix LT. I've got a nice amp that I'm happy with at the moment (Corso), but it seems that my options are either to start a pedal board or to sell the amp and get the Helix LT plus some speakers.

A couple of things that's pushing me towards the Helix is that it's a much tidier solution and that I can probably replicate (near enough) every sound I'm likely to want to try and reproduce, especially with the help of some IRs.

Honestly go with something like one of the Zoom multi fx and a couple of drive pedals you like.

i have a Helix but I wouldnt have had a clue what I was after sound wise when I’d only been playing a year.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    As a Newbie you definitely need to do as follows;
    1) Buy at least 10 very expensive pedals ......keep swapping them around and the sequence order on the board
    2) Realise that you actually need 2 Power units.....so spend some more money
    3) Realise that 10 pedals suck tone and become somewhat disturbed
    4)Realise that you need a Loop Switcher / Isolator
    5)Spend £1000 with gig rig on a switcher , cables, distributor etc
    6)Decide to sell some pedals, take a loss and buy 4 or 5 alternatives
    7)Play a mates Helix and realise how easy and efficient it is
    8)Sell all pedals ,make substantial loss ,sell loop switcher make even bigger loss
    9)Buy Helix and realise Amp not needed
    10) Sell amp; more loss
    11) Buy expensive FRFR cab/ monitor
    12) Buy back one or two pedals to put in the loop..........just for old times sake
    13) start enjoying pedals in loop but questioning if Helix doesn't make it all sound a bit too digital
    14) Sell Helix and FRFR cab ......sustain the immense loss bravely
    13) Hunt down "the Amp"
    14)Pay more to buy back the old pedals
    15) Get sick of all the wires and cables because you're sure as hell not going down the expensive loop switcher track again
    16) Your mate sold his Helix and got a Kemper.......you listen in Amazement and Wonder
    17) Sell all and buy Kemper and hunt down another FRFR cab or Maybe go for the 4 cable method
    18) Etc ETC,ETC

Now you're just getting started........WELCOME TO THE FRETBOARD !
    25reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited February 2018
    If you're happy with your amp do not change that.

As advised get a couple of cheap drive pedals (e.g. Nobels ODR1, digitech bad money, boss sd1) and something like the zoom multistomp for delay, reverb and maybe chorus.

This will help you learn about how pedals work, how to stack gain pedals, what type of delay you like etc etc. The above pedals and a one spot power supply should be less than £300 if you buy carefully and or second hand.

edit: decide on your budget before looking and try to stick to it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I'm a helix user and I love it. But I think for a beginner there is just too much to try and learn. 

A multi FX like zoom or an old line 6 m9 would probably be better. 

I was in a similar situation years ago, and I got guitar rig software. Was massively overwhelmed. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2018
    www said:
    So help me out guys...

Work out what you want, for example compressor, distortion and a delay is a good place to start. As a newbie get yourself some Boss pedals. They're readily available, cheap, easy to use, sound great and can be sold on in the future. It's easier to learn about effects with pedals and try things out. In my experience you'll waste hours fiddling with a multi-fx unit. I should know, I've had plenty of them and have now gone back to pedals. Much better sounding and easier to use in my opinion.

https://www.boss.info/global/categories/stompboxes/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28507
    Also bear in mind that a Helix will work very nicely with an amp.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'd say one of the main advantages of the Helix is the ability to play around with the order of pedals without having to rewire or buy pedals just to see if you like them.

Adding the same pedal in different places in the chain on the Helix is quick and easy and you can see what difference it makes to you. It also allows you to understand the differences between types of OD, compressor, delay, reverb, modulation, amp and cab without having to purchase and store all that kit.

There is no right and wrong. I still love pedals and amps, but the Helix inspires me more and encourages me to think more creatively. I don't obsess over the precise tones beyond a point - I mean, its obviously got to sound good to my ears, but that's where it ends. So the speed of setup, flexibility of sounds and ability to play through headphones works really well for me.

The Corso is a killer amp - perhaps use that with the new Line6 HXFX to still have the flexibility of pedal ordering etc whilst retaining a stellar amp?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I really disagree with this.
    It's what made me sell my helix the first time I owned it.i really thought it sounded arse bag awful through my hiwatt and that makes any pedal sound great.

(See what happens when you ask a question on a forum, everyone has a different answer)

Spend a day in a shop that has a fairly decent pedal selection and see what you like. Buying used will obviously get you a lot more for your money. 

Most and foremost play your guitar, don't get caught up in gear, be more focused with playing the things you love
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Thanks for some great opinions and insight chaps. 

If I were to get some 'starter' pedals, what are your thoughts on the Behringer ones? They seem to be available for around £20 new, which isn't the end of the world if I don't get on with them

As an aside, how is the Line 6 m5 viewed? I know it can only do 1 effect at a time but I wondered if it might be able to cover a few bases without breaking the bank
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Mooer is a better starting point than Behringer by miles but if budget is important go for the Joyo stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The m5 is a great little pedal. The drives are generally considered to be a bit pony but the delays are great and there are some other good fx in there

Joyo ocd is a good shout, it's a bit noisy but it's cheap

I would echo go mooer over behringer. Tc electronics have a cheap range of pedals too that are alright
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Sporky said:
    It's what made me sell my helix the first time I owned it.i really thought it sounded arse bag awful through my hiwatt and that makes any pedal sound great.

(See what happens when you ask a question on a forum, everyone has a different answer)

Spend a day in a shop that has a fairly decent pedal selection and see what you like. Buying used will obviously get you a lot more for your money. 

Most and foremost play your guitar, don't get caught up in gear, be more focused with playing the things you love
    What a bunch of nonsense. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Sporky said:

What a bunch of nonsense. 
    Why? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I'm not one to mess about so decision has been made and gear has been acquired (well, paid for at least)!

Taking on board the comments above, I've gone for a Zoom G3XN that was for sale in the classifieds. Hopefully it will give me a little of what I'm looking for and with any luck I'll learn something. And in the grand scheme of things it was pretty cheap. 

Once again, many thanks for the advice chaps :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    A wise choice. We're not gazzeles, we need to learn to walk before we can run... or fly a jet plane. 
  • www said:
    Thanks for some great opinions and insight chaps. 

If I were to get some 'starter' pedals, what are your thoughts on the Behringer ones? They seem to be available for around £20 new, which isn't the end of the world if I don't get on with them

As an aside, how is the Line 6 m5 viewed? I know it can only do 1 effect at a time but I wondered if it might be able to cover a few bases without breaking the bank
    I'm a bit of a fan of the cheapo Behringer ones - the blues overdrive (BO100) and the Ultra Tremolo (UT300) sound as good as pedals that cost a lot more. I've had the tremolo for years and never had an issue with it. I've tried a few others but keep coming back to this plastic pedal just coz it sounds better.

I think they are not all great though - check out the individual reviews.
  • Sporky said:

To be fair most people seem to think the Helix works well into amps.  I do, I still use pedals also but I swap around a bit between the 2.   There is a slight difference, but I’ve never managed ‘arse bag awful’ with the Helix.  I’ll do a test when I get round to it, would be good to see what differences might show up on a recording.  Perhaps it’s amp specific.....

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I was in a similar position to you - only playing at home, had a £300 amp and started putting together a pedalboard and thought...for the same money I can get a Helix LT. 

Whilst it's massively overwhelming to me at this stage, knowing I have the ability to get pretty much every sound I could want out of one bit of kit is great.

What I like is that it doesn't have to be overwhelming. The day will come when I will want to endlessly tweak everything to the nth degree, but for now, when I'm trying to progress in my lessons, it can be as simple as you want and you can get good tones in seconds. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I was in a similar position to you - only playing at home, had a £300 amp and started putting together a pedalboard and thought...for the same money I can get a Helix LT. 

Whilst it's massively overwhelming to me at this stage, knowing I have the ability to get pretty much every sound I could want out of one bit of kit is great.

What I like is that it doesn't have to be overwhelming. The day will come when I will want to endlessly tweak everything to the nth degree, but for now, when I'm trying to progress in my lessons, it can be as simple as you want and you can get good tones in seconds. 
    I did wonder about getting the LT but only using it for a single effect at a time, initially at least. Now that might seem like a massive waste of money (it probably is!) but I thought it might stop me from starting a collection of pedals that I'd end up selling  in the near future. I think I'll end up with an LT at some point, but the £100 Zoom will certainly do me for now :)