SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NO LONGER REQUIRED: Gibson Les Paul Standard faded

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
edited March 2018 in Guitars £
NO LONGER REQUIRED 

Gibson Les Paul Standard faded wanted with 60’s neck 

Thanking you 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Don't necessarily discount the ones with 50's neck profiles.  There's a lot of variation and even on those the necks can be quite small, although still more rounded than 60's necks.  They're nowhere near historic reissue sized necks, IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited February 2018
    bodhi said:
    Don't necessarily discount the ones with 50's neck profiles. They're nowhere near historic reissue sized necks, IMO.
    Unfortunately

bodhi is spot on, a couple of the 50’s Neck fadeds I had we’re closer to an R0 profile, slimmer but with a bit of shoulder
  • Ok guys thanks for the heads up :)

My two other Les Pauls have a 59’profile and a 50’s so I can handle all shapes

I just sold a 2003 Classic as I didn’t like the tone but I miss the 60’s profile 
  • What should I be looking to pay for one. I’ve seen some around £1500 dealer price. Is that a good deal?
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    What should I be looking to pay for one. I’ve seen some around £1500 dealer price. Is that a good deal?
    £1300 would be a good starting point. Keep your eye out for the Traditional Faded as well, I had a couple and they are basically the same.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    1300-1500 is about right. Then budget at least a couple of hundred for a decent pickup swap. Cracking guitars, and love mine. Trying to stop myself buying another!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwood said:
    1300-1500 is about right. Then budget at least a couple of hundred for a decent pickup swap. Cracking guitars, and love mine. Trying to stop myself buying another!
    Ok thanks. seen some dealers asking £1995 which is way to steep

Around £1595 seems to be the norm. are the original burstbuckers a bit poor then?
    ellwood said:

Around £1595 seems to be the norm. are the original burstbuckers a bit poor then?
    To be fair, they are pretty thin on the ground, so I can see why dealers are asking that. And asking price isn't necessarily the same as the final selling price.

I don't know many people who have left the stock burstbuckers in. They are ok, but you can get so much more from the guitar with a pickup upgrade.

If you are near Hinckley you are welcome to come and play mine.
  • ellwood said:
    ellwood said:

To be fair, they are pretty thin on the ground, so I can see why dealers are asking that. And asking price isn't necessarily the same as the final selling price.

I don't know many people who have left the stock burstbuckers in. They are ok, but you can get so much more from the guitar with a pickup upgrade.

If you are near Hinckley you are welcome to come and play mine.
    You're probably right but can't see them coming down that far to what is a reasonable price. May have to hold out for a private sale but people may be holding on to them if they're that good 

Is there a better year to aim for? Chambered or not?
    edited February 2018
    In my experience the Burstbucker Pros can be a tad piercing, but I still have a stock 2005 Faded and they're fine in that guitar with the tone rolled off a tad on the bridge pickup.  They were very bright in my 2011 Traditional Faded, though.

I also have @photek's flamey old 2007, which is chambered, and it has its own thing going on.  Not better or worse, just different.  Clear, bright and airy, where the others sound more solid and throaty in comparison.  Hard to explain.

My favourite is the 2011 - not really sure why - with the 2005 a close 2nd.  The 2007 is the prettiest, but its neck is a little bit too slim for me.  Can't bring myself to selling it, though.  Almost sold it to @John_A a while back, but eventually couldn't do it 

In general I'd agree that the Burstbucker Pros don't bring the best out of these guitars.  Stick a good set of PAF replicas in there, and perhaps replace the stock hardware, and they can really shine.

And yes, around the £1300 - £1500 mark seems about right at the moment, but their prices can vary quite a bit.  I've seen some sell for under a grand, and some closer to £2000.

I think @ellwood bought his from these guys.  They've been unable to sell those for their asking prices for quite some time now, so might be willing to listen to offers?
  • bodhi said:
    In my experience the Burstbucker Pros can be a tad piercing, but I still have a stock 2005 Faded and they're fine in that guitar with the tone rolled off a tad on the bridge pickup.  They were very bright in my 2011 Traditional Faded, though.

I also have @photek's flamey old 2007, which is chambered, and it has its own thing going on.  Not better or worse, just different.  Clear, bright and airy, where the others sound more solid and throaty in comparison.  Hard to explain.

My favourite is the 2011 - not really sure why - with the 2005 a close 2nd.  The 2007 is the prettiest, but its neck is a little bit too slim for me.  Can't bring myself to selling it, though.  Almost sold it to @John_A a while back, but eventually couldn't do it 

In general I'd agree that the Burstbucker Pros don't bring the best out of these guitars.  Stick a good set of PAF replicas in there, and perhaps replace the stock hardware, and they can really shine.

And yes, around the £1300 - £1500 mark seems about right at the moment, but their prices can vary quite a bit.  I've seen some sell for under a grand, and some closer to £2000.

I think @ellwood bought his from these guys.  They've been unable to sell those for their asking prices for quite some time now, so might be willing to listen to offers?
    I wouldn't be willing to pay over £1500 so can't see there would be any point in contacting them if they're asking £1995

I thought they only did these with a 50 or 60 profile. That seller has them all listed as a 59' profile?
    Correct, for the years 2005 - 2007 they came with either 50's or 60's neck profiles. IIRC for the years 2008 - 2009 they were only available with 50's neck profiles, and the same might be true for the runs in 2011 and 2012.

I'm guessing the ones they have in stock all happen to have 50's profiles and the seller can't resist throwing "59" in there to advance the sale  ;)

But then these things can be open to interpretation, e.g. Gibson USA's idea of a 50's profile vs. Gibson Custom Shop's idea of the same seem to be quite different.  And the neck profiles on the ones I have are officially all 50's profiles, but in reality differ quite a bit.
  • bodhi said:
    Correct, for the years 2005 - 2007 they came with either 50's or 60's neck profiles. IIRC for the years 2008 - 2009 they were only available with 50's neck profiles, and the same might be true for the runs in 2011 and 2012.

I'm guessing the ones they have in stock all happen to have 50's profiles and the seller can't resist throwing "59" in there to advance the sale  ;)

But then these things can be open to interpretation, e.g. Gibson USA's idea of a 50's profile vs. Gibson Custom Shop's idea of the same seem to be quite different.  And the neck profiles on the ones I have are officially all 50's profiles, but in reality differ quite a bit.

It is confusing as I have a 50’s profile standard and a 59’ profile on my Joe Perry custom and the two are completely different and for this particular guitar I wouldn’t want a true 59’

Sounds like you're going to have to find some of these to try out in person, which might be tricky.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    bodhi said:

I wouldn't be willing to pay over £1500 so can't see there would be any point in contacting them if they're asking £1995

I thought they only did these with a 50 or 60 profile. That seller has them all listed as a 59' profile?
    You can only ask.  They significantly reduced one recently, you never know
  • bodhi said:
    Sounds like you're going to have to find some of these to try out in person, which might be tricky.
    Unless you visit @bodhi where every one ever made is or has been there!! :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I got a decent deal on mine. And am
    sorely tempted to make an offer on the third one down (05, very plain top). Alternatively there’s one in Poland advertised on Reverb at about £1600 or best offer...
    bodhi said:
    Unless you visit @bodhi where every one ever made is or has been there!! :)
    I wish...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwood said:
    I got a decent deal on mine. And am
    sorely tempted to make an offer on the third one down (05, very plain top). Alternatively there’s one in Poland advertised on Reverb at about £1600 or best offer...

That's the one i don't want so bid away 
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208

Is there a better year to aim for? Chambered or not?
    2005 is the most sought after year for these, I doubt they are significantly better than the other years though.