Feedback

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27786
    Mick said:
    TTony. post counts are there aren't they?  all you need to do is click on anyone's user name at the top of each post to see what they've been up to. ;).

Ummmm, errrrrr, ahhhhh ... yes, ummmmmm, that's because the dev team just implemented that change for you all ...

Or it might be that we never noticed it was there :))

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17714
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Absolutely...I'm just used to seeing a post count without having to drill for each individual user. Superficial as it may be, it adds something to the context.

It's actually that context that I don't like. On many forums (and MR wasn't as bad as some places) there was a feeling that there were "forum elders" who's opinions were worth more because they had been there longer and had more posts. I figure the clock has been reset for all of us and we should stand by the quality of our posts not the quantity. 
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Mick said:
    TTony. post counts are there aren't they? For instance you have,

46 Discussion

487 CommentsOk they're I know they're not showing on each of your posts, but all you need to do is click on anyone's user name at the top of each post to see what they've been up to. ;).
    Absolutely...I'm just used to seeing a post count without having to drill for each individual user. Superficial as it may be, it adds something to the context.

I've not seen the previous consideration of this point, so I don't know what the pros & cons are...I suppose, if it's there, a high post count is a form of reputation which may or may not be deserved :)
    This plugin, will add your post count to the top of your posts,  http://vanillaforums.org/addon/postcount-plugin
    tFB Trader
    Mick said:
    This plugin, will add your post count to the top of your posts,  http://vanillaforums.org/addon/postcount-plugin
    It's currently installed, but switched off.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Mick said:
    It's currently installed, but switched off.
    That'll be the problem then. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    edited August 2013
    Awesome work on the forum :)

Couple of questions:

1) Is there any way you could give an option to automatically bookmark threads you've posted in? I can do it manually but it's a pain and (more importantly) I forget about 75% of the time, and then I have to run back and try to remember which threads I've posted in so I can bookmark them.

2) Just a quick query on one of the rules (and I realise they're somewhat tongue-in-cheek, so this may well be a non-issue):

One of the rules says,

"5) Don’t post anything you wouldn’t be willing to say in person to someone bigger and meaner than you. This is covered by rule (1)."

I'm not sure that's fair. The "bigger and meaner" person may well be doing or saying something wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily be willing to put my own neck on the line to challenge it. (Maybe that's covered by the bigger and meaner person also being covered by rule 1)

Even from a freedom of speech point of view, there are plenty of things that you should be able to say freely, but can't, because some dick might deck you (I know in NI that's very much the case- you don't go up to a dude in a balaclava and say "sectarian-based violence isn't nice LOL" for example).
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2944

It's actually that context that I don't like. On many forums (and MR wasn't as bad as some places) there was a feeling that there were "forum elders" who's opinions were worth more because they had been there longer and had more posts. I figure the clock has been reset for all of us and we should stand by the quality of our posts not the quantity. 
    +1 on that one

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Is there an easy way to delete the drafts in the 'My Drafts' section? When I click the x at the right hand side of each draft listed, it takes me to the edit page rather than getting rid of the draft as I would expect.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    FAO: those who set the board up, thanks! I've been at sea the last few weeks. I had to make a decision about a guitar purchase on my own. It was horrible!

Anyway, not been digging in too deep here, but when the time comes to re-skin the forum I think more definition between sections would be good. White space is important but I think the sections (thread, sidebar etc) need to stand out a little more.

Any plans for an RSS feed?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    bigjon said:
    Is there an easy way to delete the drafts in the 'My Drafts' section? When I click the x at the right hand side of each draft listed, it takes me to the edit page rather than getting rid of the draft as I would expect.
    I accidentally had a draft in my "My Drafts" section and it deleted fine when I clicked the X...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7308
    Oh I mentioned it in the  in the temp forum but getting hover text of the thread content would be super awesome.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    ^ agreed

I thought I'd better just confirm that we are watching all the feedback comments!

When we were planning and building this wonderful new place, we thought that we should leave things alone (unless they turned out to be very, very broken!) during the first couple of weeks to let everyone get used to the new look & feel, and to check that everything was stable.

It seems to be a lot more stable than we dared hope, so we'll start to think about "what next" next week.

:)

tFB Trader
    Oh I mentioned it in the  in the temp forum but getting hover text of the thread content would be super awesome.

I acted upon your wishes my good men. If you hover over the eye icon you get a preview. 

I kind of wish you were PolariMan

As feely homies, we would zhoosh our riahs, powder our eeks, climb into our bona new drag, don our batts and troll off to some bona bijou bar!
    I don't see the eye icon :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28880
    Right next to the thread title?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited August 2013

I acted upon your wishes my good men. If you hover over the eye icon you get a preview. 

I kind of wish you were PolariMan

As feely homies, we would zhoosh our riahs, powder our eeks, climb into our bona new drag, don our batts and troll off to some bona bijou bar!
    awesome, thanks very much :D

TTony said:

I thought I'd better just confirm that we are watching all the feedback comments!

When we were planning and building this wonderful new place, we thought that we should leave things alone (unless they turned out to be very, very broken!) during the first couple of weeks to let everyone get used to the new look & feel, and to check that everything was stable.

It seems to be a lot more stable than we dared hope, so we'll start to think about "what next" next week.

:)

No worries :) I'm well aware that it's a lot of work, and a throwaway comment by us may well result in a ton of extra work for you guys :)

EDIT: after making myself look like a total idiot with an accidental quadruple post (I wish that was hyperbole), some way to delete our own posts would be nice (assuming there isn't a way to do it that I've missed) :)) :)
    Sporky said:
    Right next to the thread title?

Could you point? I still dont see it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28880
    Well I'll be a seal's uncle - it's not there. Added to the bug list. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I don't see them on the iPad.  Work in IE10.  Will check other browsers / OSs later.