Nylon Stringed Electric Guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    4string said:

@ICBM Again, YouTube videos suggest that the piezo needs a pre-amp. Which is where some of the EQ can be done. I have assumed that something like a Zoom G3 (I have one already) might be able to process some life into the signal.
    Yes, that may work - from what I remember the G3 has a proper EQ module. Almost all piezo systems will have a preamp - it's essential since the pickup can't drive even a long cable, let alone an amp very effectively otherwise - it's whether the onboard EQ has enough range to make what is essentially a 'bad' acoustic sound by taking all the treble and most of the bass off it. The set-up I used (with a steel-string guitar) did have EQ on the guitar as well as the graphic on the amp - plus the distortion channel's own EQ as well. With enough control, you should be able to get a usable sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I tried out a Cort nylon string solid and it was very nice .Still thinking of getting one  for nylon jazz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    @rossi Thanks for the nod towards the Cort. 

@ICBM The G3 eq has a pretty good range, so I have high hopes.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    There is a cheaper Harley Benton electro nylon   solid as  well .I dont think it would match the Cort though .The Cort has an electric guitar type feel  and frets rather than a Spanish acoustic type .It suited me well as I have small hands
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    This is my Godin that I recorded the above track with.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

tFB Trader
    Thanks everyone for your help. The plan at the moment is to reclaim a Red Squier Strat I leant my uncle a year ago and use it as the base for a piezo only conversion. This http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2881025 (picture about four posts down) is the current end state to aim for. I am thinking Ghost Tech replacement saddles and their acoustic pre-amp. There should be plenty of free routed space and I will be removing the mag pickups in due course, allowing me the opportunity to tuck the 9v battery our of the way.

Installation seems straight forward and at least there are comprehensive instructions available (the other potential suppliers are somewhat lacking in this area). Any last thoughts regarding the Ghost Tech kit over other options - always happy to listen to real life experience from fellow Boarders.

Then I will fight with the 'putting nylon strings onto an electric guitar' issues - tuning stability, string slop, etc. I suspect I am going to have to adjust the nut slots as well. New scratch plate will be a finishing touch when all else is done - custom cut from the original, but with the right number of holes. I will start a thread in due course. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    4string said:
    Thanks everyone for your help. The plan at the moment is to reclaim a Red Squier Strat I leant my uncle a year ago and use it as the base for a piezo only conversion. This http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2881025 (picture about four posts down) is the current end state to aim for. I am thinking Ghost Tech replacement saddles and their acoustic pre-amp. There should be plenty of free routed space and I will be removing the mag pickups in due course, allowing me the opportunity to tuck the 9v battery our of the way.

Installation seems straight forward and at least there are comprehensive instructions available (the other potential suppliers are somewhat lacking in this area). Any last thoughts regarding the Ghost Tech kit over other options - always happy to listen to real life experience from fellow Boarders.

Then I will fight with the 'putting nylon strings onto an electric guitar' issues - tuning stability, string slop, etc. I suspect I am going to have to adjust the nut slots as well. New scratch plate will be a finishing touch when all else is done - custom cut from the original, but with the right number of holes. I will start a thread in due course. 
    What about the nut width?

As well as being wider themselves, nylon strings vibrate more I thought?
    maybe a 7 or 8 string guitar would be a possible candidate?
    tFB Trader
    I can see me raising the nut a little to something like the notch height you get on a classical.  The rest is experimenting with different strings. I am expecting the slightly longer Fender string length to help with string 'stiffness' (possibly not the correct word) issue. As usual, it will be all fun and games.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    ToneControl said:

What about the nut width?

As well as being wider themselves, nylon strings vibrate more I thought?
    maybe a 7 or 8 string guitar would be a possible candidate?
    I can think of the very man to do that ;).

4string said:
    I can see me raising the nut a little to something like the notch height you get on a classical.  The rest is experimenting with different strings. I am expecting the slightly longer Fender string length to help with string 'stiffness' (possibly not the correct word) issue. As usual, it will be all fun and games.

You shouldn't need to raise the nut, but you will need to widen the grooves for the plain strings.

Fender scale length is actually the same as the lower end of standard classical length - 650mm - but there's some extra string length in the bridge block, although I don't think that will affect it much. Obviously you will need to use ball-end strings.

I had a look at the pic on the other forum, and the first thing that struck me was that with all that pickguard area available, why would you put the volume knob there?! :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I hope it works but I think the neck width and the flatter fretboard radius will be tricky to overcome in most cases, and especially for a player that's used to conventional classical guitars.  There are issues with string tension that obviously affect acoustic instruments mainly but I'm curious to see what happens, keep us informed. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Nylon have much wider travel when vibrating. Bridge height with have to be raised. Also try nylon hard tension strings, the harder the tendon the better it will work with a steel string setup .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Just curious, but why will she only play nylon strings?
    nylon strings feel like playing on wet rubber bands. why indeed!
    Yeah,that Paco de Lucia bloke kept saying the same thing !