Nylon Stringed Electric Guitar

What's Hot
4string4string Frets: 33
in Guitar tFB Trader
Mrs 4String played guitar many years ago and has recently started making noises that she might start playing again. So an excuse to stretch my GAS muscles, even if on behalf of my better half.  There is a problem though - she will only play nylon stringed guitars and is determined to play in a Velvets like distorted/fuzz style, rocking out.

Does any one have any experience of electric nylon playing through an effects units? Sound files would be a bonus.

As for a guitar, there are a few possibilities I am aware of, most obviously a narrow neck Godin Multitac (though serious money even second hand). I also spotted a Fender Strat with a piezo bridge and nylon strings - it was being used by Yngwie Malmsteen to sound like a classical guitar unsurprisingly.  Any other options? At a push I could put together a piezo bridged partscaster in what ever shape Mrs 4Sting likes, but any inspiration or knowledge you can share would be most welcome. 

Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    Fernandes p object is a nylon string electric, I thought it was interesting enough to think about making one as I hadn't seen one before that one, it's shaped like a tele

Have a look on you tube to see if there are sound clips 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    @customkits that is a very interesting guitar... Very much in the Godin mould (though you get MIDI with the Multitac, hence the £800+ second hand price). Only issue I can see is that they are as common as unicorn poop. Never the less, if I find one, it would be a serious contender.

If I built one it probably be a tele shaped, with one of the Start piezo bridges, a standard shaped scratch plate, with no pick up holes and volume and eq controls. I could see maybe a Dano masonite/hardboard tele body (@GuitarWeasel made one some years ago as a prototype for holding demonstration pickups). 

@ToneControl an excellent thought. I walked past a busker playing one the other day and it sounded far more guitar like than its shape suggests. However, the shape may not pass the Mrs 4String test - possibly not rock and roll enough. I will try.

Thanks both for responding, very much appreciated. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    I once converted a cheap dreadnought-shape ‘solid acoustic’ type guitar to nylon strings for someone, it seemed to work fine - you just need to pull the strings as tight as possible by hand before you tie them to the machineheads or they won’t come up to pitch until there’s too much string wrapped around the post.

He used it with tons of effects - I think including distortion, although I can’t remember for sure - in a sort of rock ceilidh band...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    I've always been curious about the LAG Keziah Jones models, but I've never come across one to try.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    Gibson Chet Atkins CE. Job done. (Back and left shoulder also, possibly, done shortly after.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Gibson Chet Atkins CE. Job done. (Back and left shoulder also, possibly, done shortly after.)
    Do these not have a standard classical-size neck?

They also do certainly weigh a ton, going by the only one I’ve ever picked up...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    What about something like the yamaha aex500n, I used to have one, but now I don't
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    There was a richwood model a few years ago shaped like a DC LP jr. played very well. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    "There is a problem though - she will only play nylon stringed guitars and is determined to play in a Velvets like distorted/fuzz style, rocking out."

Before going down this route I advise you to try out distorting a signal coming from a piezo-type pickup. Every time I tried it sounded awful, steel or nylon strings. And I mean awful not in the grungy, post-punk way, but awful like a radio picking up static. Your mileage may vary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2919
    Just curious, but why will she only play nylon strings?

carlos said:
    "There is a problem though - she will only play nylon stringed guitars and is determined to play in a Velvets like distorted/fuzz style, rocking out."

Before going down this route I advise you to try out distorting a signal coming from a piezo-type pickup. Every time I tried it sounded awful, steel or nylon strings. And I mean awful not in the grungy, post-punk way, but awful like a radio picking up static. Your mileage may vary.
    You can make it usable if you *drastically* re-EQ - although whether a simple distortion pedal will have enough range on a tone control is debatable... I did successfully use a Taylor 312CE with Fishman piezo electrics through a Mesa DC-5 on the dirty channel - with the graphic EQ set to all mids and no treble or bass, if I remember right. But I will admit that it sounded much better after I added a Rare Earth magnetic soundhole pickup as well.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3134
    edited March 2018
    Get one of these sounds epic
    https://youtu.be/QKvg0iM6hXo 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    There's better stuff out there.
    Personally I think epi atkins was better n cheaper 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I can record a sample with my Godin electric classical later today, I've been meaning to try that anyway since I bought it last year.  I got a used one that looks a bit like like a multi ? but just has the under saddle pick up and is made for nylon strings.  I'm betting it will sound pretty good on the bass strings but will probably not have good sustain.  I use mine plugged in but I find if I dial all the EQ sliders down to zero and back off all the tone controls on the amp a bit it sounds very authentic as a classical guitar.  I have some things to go do right now, will check in later.  I recorded my entry in the ROTM with it running through a Mustang I with a basic Fender Twin setting.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• SporkySporky Frets: 28380
    I had a Nathan Sheppard with nylon strings - pretty sure @TTony ; has it now. That was ace with filthy fuzz.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    edited March 2018
    4string said:
    Mrs 4String played guitar many years ago and has recently started making noises that she might start playing again. So an excuse to stretch my GAS muscles, even if on behalf of my better half.  There is a problem though - she will only play nylon stringed guitars and is determined to play in a Velvets like distorted/fuzz style, rocking out.

Does any one have any experience of electric nylon playing through an effects units? Sound files would be a bonus.

As for a guitar, there are a few possibilities I am aware of, most obviously a narrow neck Godin Multitac (though serious money even second hand). I also spotted a Fender Strat with a piezo bridge and nylon strings - it was being used by Yngwie Malmsteen to sound like a classical guitar unsurprisingly.  Any other options? At a push I could put together a piezo bridged partscaster in what ever shape Mrs 4Sting likes, but any inspiration or knowledge you can share would be most welcome. 

I managed to throw this down, it's going through a Mustang I with a Fuzz box setting.  Sounds better than I thought it would.   https://soundcloud.com/dulcetjones/distorted-nylon-string   The picture has nothing to do with it.  That's a one string cigar box guitar I made.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27608
    Sporky said:
    I had a Nathan Sheppard with nylon strings - pretty sure @TTony ; has it now.
    Someone called?

It's a stunning bit of kit. 

And just the sort of thing that a loving, caring, (and generous) husband would buy his wife too!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Just curious, but why will she only play nylon strings?
    nylon strings feel like playing on wet rubber bands. why indeed!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    carlos said:

That is/was one of my concerns. However, there are videos on YouTube showing it done reasonably well. Certainly enough to satisfy.

@thumpingrug The usual reason - steel strings hurt when you start out. And the lady is not for turning on that matter... 

@ICBM Again, YouTube videos suggest that the piezo needs a pre-amp. Which is where some of the EQ can be done. I have assumed that something like a Zoom G3 (I have one already) might be able to process some life into the signal.

@DulcetJones Thanks for that. That sort of sound would be well within acceptable parameters. I suspect exact Lou Reed fuzz tone is not required, we just have to be in the ball park. 

@TTony I suspect that might fail the aesthetics test, but that is exactly the configuration I have been thinking about. 

Thanks all again for contributing to the thread. I feel as though there are options that are going to sound OK.