What influences your GAS?

What's Hot
stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
edited March 2018 in Guitar
I play lots of Foo Fighters style rock music- so I've been mainly been playing a Shiflett style HH tele, but having spent the past couple of days listening to loads of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix I'm gassing badly for a strat.

Anyone else find their GAS urges being strongly correlated to their Spotify/iTunes recently played list? 
If so, what are you gassing for (& listening to)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 626
    If I have any money. If I have money I might change a guitar or buy something. If i don't have money I don't!!

I think I am almost finished, just a decent 335 a like or LP a like and that should be me done forever......... I say that now with such confidence don't I!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I joke about it but I've noticed it a few times, my GAS is related to my strings being just old enough that the tone has started to dull, but not old enough that they feel bad.

With what I'm listening to I don't really think there's a lot that outright influences my guitar gas.  Bass gas definitely though, but I think there's more difference between  bass styles and tones than there is guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    That's why I have a Les Paul, a tele, a bass, a steel string acoustic, a classical, a banjo(?) and now I want a square neck dobro  because I only have a lap steel .  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Alcohol
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    If I have money in my pocket I have bad GAS.
    if I'm skint I have limited GAS, but that is usually when I spot the killer deals. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Without a doubt the music I am listening to influences what guitar I want to pick up and play.

As for buying guitars, well I am at a point I have all the ones I want relative to the music I listen to.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4745
    No money no GAS
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Beans, Mexican food, too much dairy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3314
    Usually the polar opposite of what I’ve just purchased. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    edited March 2018
    Anyone else find their GAS urges being strongly correlated to their Spotify/iTunes recently played list? 
    I'm fifty five years old, FFS.
    1) I do not *do* SpotiTunes.
    2) I consider slavishly imitating the music of others to be a starting point rather than a destination.
    3) I have long since ceased to be that easily swayed by anything.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3929
    That Pedal Show
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited March 2018
    I just like a balanced collection of all the guitars that I have lusted after at different points in my life. This is moderated by; available funds; accommodation room and their availability at any given time. Also, I like all the pretty colours...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yet I know deep down the happiest I ever was with a guitar was when I had one electric and one acoustic. 
    I seem to live in a constant state of gas nowadays. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I'm being 100% honest when I say colour/finish.

Whenever I see a finish that I think is spectacular. Like that multicolour sparkle Aristides just did, or the Teal Sparkle Kauer have just done.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'm fifty five years old, FFS.
    1) I do not *do* SpotiTunes.
    2) I consider slavishly imitating the music of others to be a starting point rather than a destination.
    3) I have long since ceased to be that easily swayed by anything.
    If there’s one thing I hate it’s 
    1) lists
    b) inconsistency
    iv) bass GAS - it just sort of hangs around in the background
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3998
    "What do I want to play that I can't currently play with what I have?"
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I don't have much spare time so these days it's ease of use. I've used modellers but found I spent too much time fiddling so I now have a guitar amp and a small pedal board. Up and running in minutes. My GAS these days tends to be pedals, especially reverbs and delays.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Prejudice
    What I'm listening to most
    The collective/acquisitive nature (eg: have LP,SG,335 ergo I neeed 175,330...)
    Good reviews of something I think I could find a use for (eg Reverend Airwave 12 string)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • gas affects me when im bored, not playing gigs or even jamming with people. knowing this was the reason has helped me cure myself. even though not doing loads of gigs at the moment i concentrate on playing what ive got, and im happy with my modest guitars, gibson studio, fender mex and epiphone. however as we all know, gas stikes at anytime
  • I have a Strat and a superstrat Washburn with a Floyd Rose. So my current GAS is for the opposite; a hardtail with humbuckers and a shorter scale length to cover heavy rock, metal and for some downtuning. Both my current guitars are sunburst brown with white scratchplates; a different colour would be nice for some variety; maybe cherry red .  

Currenttly top of my GAS list are a Les Paul Tribute 2018; PRS S2 Singlecut Satin; or a Vintage Lemon Drop Reissue if funds are too tight.