What influences your GAS?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    When we've got gigs lined up after a layoff (Like now) I use it as an excuse. "Well, if I'm playing out again I need the right stuff". 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    A pathological need to acquire stuff I like.
    To be fair, you seem to exercise admirable restraint....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72857
    HAL9000 said:

...or reverse the plate so that the switch is at the other end 
    I was *really* hoping no-one would suggest that.

:)

It retains all the original problems but makes them all worse. You now hit your hand on the volume knob instead of the switch, and you can't quickly flip the switch from neck to bridge which is even worse than the other way round. And it looks stupid.

I'm not sure this is helping cure my desire to own another Telecaster, but it's a start ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23417
    I play lots of Foo Fighters style rock music- so I've been mainly been playing a Shiflett style HH tele, but having spent the past couple of days listening to loads of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix I'm gassing badly for a strat.

Anyone else find their GAS urges being strongly correlated to their Spotify/iTunes recently played list? 
    If so, what are you gassing for (& listening to)?
    I wouldn't say my musical tastes directly influence my GAS.

But I would like to own a really good but somewhat battered-looking SG, which coincidentally is probably the most popular choice for the kind of stoner/doom stuff I mostly listen to.

Never managed to find an SG I've been really happy with, though, although I have owned quite a few over the years.
  • This forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

It retains all the original problems but makes them all worse. You now hit your hand on the volume knob instead of the switch, and you can't quickly flip the switch from neck to bridge which is even worse than the other way round. And it looks stupid.

I'm not sure this is helping cure my desire to own another Telecaster, but it's a start ;).

I knew someone was bound to suggest that.  It's still not a solution in my eyes either, as there's still one knob right next to one of the positions on the switch.

Telecasters are one of the guitar designs where I feel its crucial to have access to both volume and tone controls.  On most of my humbucker guitars I don't use my tone pot at all, on some it's actually disconnected... but on my Tele I find there's a lot of mileage in the controls.  
  • ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

I knew someone was bound to suggest that.  It's still not a solution in my eyes either, as there's still one knob right next to one of the positions on the switch.

Telecasters are one of the guitar designs where I feel its crucial to have access to both volume and tone controls.  On most of my humbucker guitars I don't use my tone pot at all, on some it's actually disconnected... but on my Tele I find there's a lot of mileage in the controls.  
    Amusingly this is one of the things keeping my Strat GAS in check.
    I've had two in the past- a Blacktop (which I REALLY regret selling) and a MIM standard. I parted with both for the same reason- that bloody (literally in my case) volume knob by the bridge!
    As soon as I started playing "hard" I'd inevitably crack my pinky off the volume knob and by the end of a session my hand would be bleeding... I KNOW it's my own poor technique that's to blame and that I could/should have rewired for a master vol & tone. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    A pathological need to acquire stuff I like.
    That's horribly true. Certainly most of my stuff has been bought because of some particular attraction, plus good sound. I generally don't buy artist related gear, though I am currently waiting for a bit of a "fanboy" guitar to be delivered - something that I've had a gentle eye out for years.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9785
    edited March 2018
    This forum

In the days before the internet I had one guitar and one amp and was content. Something I suspect was true of quite a number of us.

Nowadays I can google all sorts of stuff and can always find something else that I ‘need’. And that’s not only guitars - having bought my ‘necessary’ guitar(s) I now browse the internet for reviews etc only to learn that things could be even better if only I fitted different pickups, bridges, machines, etc. Back in the dark days before decimal coinage I didn’t worry about modding my one guitar (I probably didn’t even know it was a possibility). And yet... these days, when modern manufacturing methods and QC ensure that even a humble Affinity Tele is better put together than ever before, I feel the need to ‘improve’ my guitars with all manner of after-market bits.

These days we’ve become collectors, rather than owners, of guitars
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    Curiosity, intrigue and greed
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    Anyone else find their GAS urges being strongly correlated to their Spotify/iTunes recently played list? 
    I'm fifty five years old, FFS.
    1) I do not *do* SpotiTunes.
    2) I consider slavishly imitating the music of others to be a starting point rather than a destination.
    3) I have long since ceased to be that easily swayed by anything.
    I love a bit of slavish imitation every now and again. Quite nice to be able to sound like someone who knows what they’re doing. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I play lots of Foo Fighters style rock music- so I've been mainly been playing a Shiflett style HH tele, but having spent the past couple of days listening to loads of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix I'm gassing badly for a strat.

Totally. Im back on a Feeder binge right now and I’m desperate for a Jaguar. Having said that, I only have one guitar at present so I’m lacking versatility in my gear. Hopefully this will change this year as I plan to add a Strat and tele or jaguar to my build list.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited March 2018
    My GAS is all Peter Greens fault! I don't want to sound exactly like him but somewhere in the same ball park, therefore I "need" a fender amp of some sort, but which one? I love the hunt before the purchase it's addictive.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Maybe when I was younger, but nowadays most choices are pragmatic. I'm looking to buy a loop switcher atm, because in my last two bands I found myself tap dancing.

In in terms of guitars, I find the project dictates the guitar. When I've bought things based on a famous player, often it's not worked out. I always wanted a PRS CE24 because of Alex Lifeson, when I finally got one. It felt underwhelming and I sold it on within a year.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    At this point I'd have to say sillyness. I've enjoyed owning lots of guitars, but I'd probably be happier with just a good tele and a nice princeton reverb.
  • I have a strat to cover Hendrix, SRV, blues, funk, RHCP, clean, indie etc. Now I need need a hardtail HH mahogany for my Led Zep, Soundgarden, AC/DC, Free, Teenage Fanclub (the thick Les Paul rhythm Norman plays), stoner rock, Gary Moore, Neil Young, John Squier second coming stage etc 

• I knew someone was bound to suggest that.  It's still not a solution in my eyes either, as there's still one knob right next to one of the positions on the switch.

Amusingly this is one of the things keeping my Strat GAS in check.
    I've had two in the past- a Blacktop (which I REALLY regret selling) and a MIM standard. I parted with both for the same reason- that bloody (literally in my case) volume knob by the bridge!
    As soon as I started playing "hard" I'd inevitably crack my pinky off the volume knob and by the end of a session my hand would be bleeding... I KNOW it's my own poor technique that's to blame and that I could/should have rewired for a master vol & tone. 

On mine I have done exactly that - I don’t use the pot nearest the strings so I removed it.

I can adjust my playing but I don’t see a point when I can just make it more comfortable.