NGD - Ibanez PS10 Ltd .......waited for this one a while

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
edited March 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader
Always been a big fan of the Ibanez Iceman shape - especially the PS10 Paul Stanley signature version.
My first serious guitar purchase was a 1982 Ibanez Iceman 2 IC50 back in 1984

I did end up with a 1979 PS10 back in 1988 and it was fab but was rather too heavy  - ridiculous sustain though

At a music show in 1996 I got to try the PS10Ltd reissue and it was instantly magical - and felt better than my memory of the 1979 one, but was out of my reach money wise at the time.
However the attraction for it never left me and I have long lusted after one.
I believe they weren't made in great numbers anyway , so I was keen to get one if one came up.

So last week I pulled the trigger on one on Reverb and it arrived here a few days ago.
Straight out of the box it was as good as my memory of the one I played all those years ago.

Apart from a dodgy volume pot and a few little things that needed attention it was good to go and passed my inspection.
I did go and screen the cavities and redo the wiring harness but I am leaving it alone other than that.

Sounds unbelievably huge - poor neighbours will be getting treated to a Kiss back catalogue for some time I think.
Pickups are quite hot at 15.4k and 8.9k, and they kick the front of an amp quite nicely.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 24reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3007
    I love that despite making some truly amazing guitars yourself that you’re still into stuff like this !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    That's seriously cool.

I've always wanted the PS Mirror Iceman, but it would purely be a display item, I imagine it's very heavy and not great to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    I love that despite making some truly amazing guitars yourself that you’re still into stuff like this !
    I too love that I can be a fan-boy and still in touch with the things that made me love guitars in the first place
    BUT - the guitars have to pass muster both playing-wise and sonically or I will have a hard time with them.

My other guilty pleasure is my Jackson Rhoads RR24Ltd with the neck binding and reverse inlays, which isn't quite Vinnie Vincent (more Stryper by colouring)

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Patience paid off. Glad you've got some KISS inspiration in the fold :-)

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    The RR is giving me more of an early Alexi Laiho vibe...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Nice score man, glad your patience has been rewarded.

...and I thought Scott Groves had cornered all the good Icemen. 
    tFB Trader
    mbe said:
    Nice score man, glad your patience has been rewarded.

...and I thought Scott Groves had cornered all the good Icemen. 
    He does have some nice ones......
    He also seems to have an extremely high opinion of himself too.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Nice - love an iceman and that is a beauty - HNGD!

Ross
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    You know my thoughts already...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5564
    NICE!!!
    I too had an original PS10 which I reluctantly had to sell around 2001 when I was struggling to pay the bills. I wish I still had it cos despite being no Kiss fan the guitar itself was uber-cool. I used to gig it and it got so much attention!

I didn't expect the reissue to be as good for some reason so nice to know that it holds up, and I assume a lot more affordable than an original these days!  I sold mine for £1100 but they seem to be up around £2000 now.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1971
    My first guitar was a destroyer and the other guitarist I played with had an iceman - Good times  =)

HNGD
    tFB Trader
    Just spent the last hour making a good noise with it - great fun!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    That's super cool.

I always wanted one of those.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    What pick ups are in there?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Lovely guitar Jonathan and glad you finally got one.
    tFB Trader
    Jetfire said:
    What pick ups are in there?
    V7 and V8

• jpwjpw Frets: 2
    Lovely guitar.  I always wanted one to square off that arm to just a small nub...Sacrilegious I know but I'm so sure it would look cool...wouldn't look too far off a chunkier st vincent musicman shape..
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    Cool!  I see it has the brass/bone nut like some of the Artists, no idea if that adds anything tonally but I always thought it was a fascinating detail.

Is there any significant difference from the Iceman?  I remember Stanley always insisted they were completely different guitars, but I always assumed that was just him being him....
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Cool!  I see it has the brass/bone nut like some of the Artists, no idea if that adds anything tonally but I always thought it was a fascinating detail.

Is there any significant difference from the Iceman?  I remember Stanley always insisted they were completely different guitars, but I always assumed that was just him being him....
    The HUGE brass sustain block under the bridge definitely adds something . 
    The bridge and tailpiece locking down for more sustain too 
    Not so sure about the bone/brass nut , but nice all the same.

Iceman vs PS10
    Very similar, and I'd say that Paul took the Iceman shape and had them make a 70s Les Paul out of it

The mahogany with maple cap (mine seems to have a maple back too - so maybe a sandwich of maple and mahogany).
    The arched front is maybe a bit different , but otherwise it's just how it's specced out.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    I never really thought about the fact that the bridge and tailpiece lock down.  They were way ahead of TonePros in that respect!