NGD - Ibanez PS10 Ltd .......waited for this one a while

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    OK - while we are talking about Ibanez features - I came up with an answer to a problem that the old style Gibraltar bridge used to offer to people.

Looking closely at my PS10's original Gibraltar bridge I can see the typical damage that gets done when it is hard to tighten the nut to lock the bridge down , with players resorting to pliers to grip the locking nut and also getting the head of the bolt all chewed up.
    I came up with a solution for myself which I'll share . I hope it proves useful. 
    I'll caption each pic to explain what I'm trying to do:

On the Gibraltar bridge to lock it down you must tighten the nut ,and try to avoid the post height adjuster moving at the same time. 
    Too many players have had mishaps doing this with fine pliers and a screwdriver. 
    You can see that the head of the adjuster has been chewed where the screwdriver slips when doing this.

The classic Gibson style truss rod adjuster at 5/8" is the perfect fit for the nut.

The 5/8" Gibson truss rod adjuster fits perfectly (my PS10Ltd uses this spanner for it's truss rod too, but not all models will).
    But the problem is that my height adjuster post wants to go down when I tighten the nut lowering my perfectly set string height.
    If only I could hold the bolt steady while I do this....

Having access to a drill press and some sharp drill bits I modified my truss rod spanner by carefully drilling a hole through that my screwdriver can fit through.

Now my screwdriver fits through perfectly (I drilled a 4.5mm hole to let my 4mm screwdriver clearance through to the bolt I need to hold steady

I can hold the slotted head of the bolt steady while I lock that nut down snug.
    Job done and time to play!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23134
    Top Tip!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Couldn't help myself trying a couple of upgrades 
    I put a pair of Oil City Blackbirds (black with gold poles) - with the Ulfbert variant at the bridge (ceramic mag instead of A5)
    I also put a recessed Dunlop straplock button on the back in place of the regular one so the strap sits closer to the back - better balance with no tipping forward

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2018
    I put a pair of Oil City Blackbirds (black with gold poles) - with the Ulfbert variant at the bridge (ceramic mag instead of A5)
    I also put a recessed Dunlop straplock button on the back in place of the regular one so the strap sits closer to the back - better balance with no tipping forward
    Jon,
    Can that be done to any guitar in theory?

tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Jon,

yes - quite possibly

Alnico said:
    Jon,

yes - quite possibly

Fabulous,

I'll give you a call tomorrow.
    :)
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Jon,

yes - quite possibly

Fabulous,

I tend to do it to my own guitars that have a rear mounted strap button , so my V and Jackson Rhoads, and PS10 etc are like that 
    Same could apply to an SG  or suchlike and I have done it on a doublecut Lion Cub/junior in addition to the one on the horn , because it's all but invisible but gives an extra mounting option

I first saw it on the Green Flying V and thought it was really cool which gave me an idea I've had running around my head ever since.

Was it a bit of a decision to do that to a PS10 or is such a practical thing that it won't affect value?
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    I first saw it on the Green Flying V and thought it was really cool which gave me an idea I've had running around my head ever since.

Was it a bit of a decision to do that to a PS10 or is such a practical thing that it won't affect value?
    There is no resale value issues on a guitar that you wont sell
    And it makes it so much better to me

• Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Jon,

yes - quite possibly

Fabulous,

I tend to do it to my own guitars that have a rear mounted strap button , so my V and Jackson Rhoads, and PS10 etc are like that 
    Same could apply to an SG  or suchlike and I have done it on a doublecut Lion Cub/junior in addition to the one on the horn , because it's all but invisible but gives an extra mounting option
    Is there a way of testing this without recessing/making a bigger hole first?
     My carvin/Kiesel hh's tip forward so much that I've gaffa taped some thick socks to the back of the guitar so it doesn't move when I stand up! It works, but I'd prefer a more ergonomic solution.
    edited March 2018
    @guitarmangler

Take the strap buttons off the guitar and tape the strap to the guitar using low tack masking tape to see if it feels right.
    Enough tape and it'll hold for long enough to see if you like it.
    Stand on an empty bed just in case.

or use the screws on their own without the strap buttons and place the strap right next to the guitar.

Do whichever seems the most fun.
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Jon,

yes - quite possibly

Fabulous,

Is there a way of testing this without recessing/making a bigger hole first?
     My carvin/Kiesel hh's tip forward so much that I've gaffa taped some thick socks to the back of the guitar so it doesn't move when I stand up! It works, but I'd prefer a more ergonomic solution.
    Try this as a temporary fix 
    Unscrew the strap button and refit it with the end of a strap between the body and the button, so the strap is right against the wood. Try it for 10 minutes to see if you like it and if it's good then choose if you want to go 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23134
    The socks will certainly be a talking point for the audience when you pick it up to do a Hendrix and play it with your teeth.

• Try this as a temporary fix 
    Unscrew the strap button and refit it with the end of a strap between the body and the button, so the strap is right against the wood. Try it for 10 minutes to see if you like it and if it's good then choose if you want to go 
    Good idea!
    I just gaffa taped my strap to the body, but it still leans forward. Gah! I'm guessing recessing the strap button isn't going to help. 

• Philly_Q said:
    The socks will certainly be a talking point for the audience when you pick it up to do a Hendrix and play it with your teeth.
    I've now upgraded the socks to a pack of wet wipes. I think it'd better if I had paunch to rest it in. Note to self, eat more crisps and drink more beer.
    tFB Trader
    Oh - my other recent NGD  that I got from one of the fine chaps on here and am loving it as my "playing on the sofa" guitar is  this thin profile beast. 
    No doubt it will go through a few changes like pickups etc but I am really getting into playing it.
    I already changed the pots, knobs and straplocks, and have some pickup upgrade ideas too that may involve putting a P90 at the neck.

Ibanez S440 II

• DrBob said:
    I love that despite making some truly amazing guitars yourself that you’re still into stuff like this !
    I too love that I can be a fan-boy and still in touch with the things that made me love guitars in the first place
    BUT - the guitars have to pass muster both playing-wise and sonically or I will have a hard time with them.

My other guilty pleasure is my Jackson Rhoads RR24Ltd with the neck binding and reverse inlays, which isn't quite Vinnie Vincent (more Stryper by colouring)

Phwoar
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    Along time ago, I was in a band with another guitarist. He had an original PS. It was a bruiser! He later took it to a Kiss gig and had it signed by the man himself in silver metallic ink. It read : ' To Paul from Paul, Rock on ' . Enjoy your PS.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom