Guitar Magazine - Lazy J10 Review

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Lebarque said:
    @Hattigol ; Haha! I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree.

Fender's Squier, Mexican, American, Custom Shop, Masterbuilt etc. lines allow a large company to cater for different wallets and aspirations by offering different quality guitars at different price points. If you play a masterbuilt and a squier side-by-side, you can tell which is better quality (cue the comments!). There's a demonstrable difference between handwired/PCB, mass-produced/handbuilt etc (not necessarily in tone though).

Has the quality of Lazy J's declined as Jesse has got other people to do bits and bobs for him due to high demand? Not that I'm aware of. As far as I can tell, he is just expanding his business by entrusting outsourcing to other skilled people who live up to his standards. So if the high quality of the amps has been maintained and there is no demonstrable difference, there is no justification for a price adjustment in my eyes. As somebody else said, he's not moved production to Outer Mongolia or something, and he does the final assembly and testing himself as far as I can tell.
    Question - answer honestly:

Would you pay more for an amp that you knew was handbuilt by Jesse himself?

If yes (and come on, it is a yes), my point is valid isn't it?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3870
    @Hattigol ; Personally, no, unless it was proved that the other modeIs were inferior. For me, it's more about the recipe of parts and circuit tweaks that Jesse has brought to the classic 5E3 design. For example, if I took the exact design/parts and got one of the respected amp builders on here to wire it up, I have no doubt it would be just as good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    Lebarque said:
     For example, if I took the exact design/parts and got one of the respected amp builders on here to wire it up, I have no doubt it would be just as good.
    You wouldn’t need to.  I’l pretty sure they already know all the usual 5E3 mods, it’s bread and butter to all good amp makers.  The DIY community has been doing pretty much all those tweaks for years.  

But yeah they would be just as good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Hattigol said:
    Lebarque said:
    @Hattigol ; Haha! I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree.

Fender's Squier, Mexican, American, Custom Shop, Masterbuilt etc. lines allow a large company to cater for different wallets and aspirations by offering different quality guitars at different price points. If you play a masterbuilt and a squier side-by-side, you can tell which is better quality (cue the comments!). There's a demonstrable difference between handwired/PCB, mass-produced/handbuilt etc (not necessarily in tone though).

Has the quality of Lazy J's declined as Jesse has got other people to do bits and bobs for him due to high demand? Not that I'm aware of. As far as I can tell, he is just expanding his business by entrusting outsourcing to other skilled people who live up to his standards. So if the high quality of the amps has been maintained and there is no demonstrable difference, there is no justification for a price adjustment in my eyes. As somebody else said, he's not moved production to Outer Mongolia or something, and he does the final assembly and testing himself as far as I can tell.
    Question - answer honestly:

Would you pay more for an amp that you knew was handbuilt by Jesse himself?

If yes (and come on, it is a yes), my point is valid isn't it?
    Absolutely not. There'll be no difference 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    I would love to try try a Lazy J,, .. but used prices seem steep,

I paid only 1200 gbp for my Victoria Double Deluxe and I simply can't conceive there could be a better tweed amp than that ,,,,
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Fishboy7 said:
    I would love to try try a Lazy J,, .. but used prices seem steep,

I paid only 1200 gbp for my Victoria Double Deluxe and I simply can't conceive there could be a better tweed amp than that ,,,,
    It’s odd. I had a Flynn 5e3 that was great. But I always wondered whether there was something better... then I acquired my Cornell Voyager which is sublime. But the LJ itch was still there... Prisoner of all the hype? Maybe. But an awful lot of people seem to agree that they deliver that little extra... something.

So one came up on eBay last week at a keen price, my offer was accepted and ... when it arrived it was fecked.

So now I have to wait a little longer to scratch that itch while the good Mr Hoff works his Jedi voodoo magic.

We’ll see :D 

Where are you based? Maybe you could come and have a play once it’s back in my sweaty paws.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    The j20 is still my go to amp up against some really other tasty amps. It's just me and my taste I guess. Shared by many of course ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    martinw said:
    As to whether Jesse builds the amps himself or not - YES HE DOES.

Not all of them.
    its all a bit tiresome/british this knocking the Lazy J brand, he is a success which is a good thing
    Lame. Nobody knocked anything, it is what it is. Yes it is good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom