eBay Content: Errr...really?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Gordon Bennett!!! That’s a bit heath robinson!

Anyone else notice the Gibson truss rod cover?

The shoulders dont look right, there’s a join in one of the “legs” so the body isnt one piece of wood, the scratchplate is a half hearted attempt to emulate Burns, but fails because its a single piece not multi piece.

Dare i go on? Yes, i cant leave that headstock out .... oh my, it reminds of a 12 string headstock that can be seen on a strat or jaguar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    fandango said:
    That’s a bit Heath-Robinson!
    Many Burns guitar design features are. This is why some people love them as much as they do.

fandango said:
    that headstock ... reminds of a 12 string headstock that can be seen on a strat or jaguar.
    Interesting, considering that the Burns headstock pre-dates the Fender Electric XII *hockey stick*.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    @HarrySeven. Which one of those Burns forum IDs is you?
    None of them.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

fandango said:
    That’s a bit Heath-Robinson!
    Many Burns guitar design features are.

This is why some people love them as much as they do.

True, although (perhaps surprisingly) I’ve never *really* been one of them. The vast majority of vintage Burns guitars I’ve played over the years have been shit (in one way or another) - unforgiving playability, poor materials, badly made, questionable design decisions, over-complex, just downright dire as a workable instrument, etc.

There are a few exceptions (generally higher-end, better quality models), but for the large part, they’ve been wall-hangers.

Personally, I’ve always put their enduring fascination down to of-a-certain-age septuagenarians reliving their halcyon days with misty-eyed, rose-tinted vision.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Body looks like the new Andertons logo.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    Personally, I’ve always put their enduring fascination down to of-a-certain-age septuagenarians reliving their halcyon days with misty-eyed, rose-tinted vision.
    You realise you've just described us lot in 15 or 20 years' time....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    The vast majority of vintage Burns guitars I’ve played over the years have been shit (in one way or another) - unforgiving playability, poor materials, badly made, questionable design decisions, over-complex, just downright dire as a workable instrument, etc.
    A pretty accurate summary.

Many years ago, somebody who had been told I fixed guitars handed me a Fenton-Weill thing that he had acquired in a charity sale. (Probably at a green elephant stall!) He asked whether I could fix it. I said that I would take a look and report back. Fifteen seconds later, I pronounced refurbishment economically unviable. 

The combination of this thread and the recent snowy weather brought that F-W back to mind. It would have made a fine snow shovel. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Looks like the guitar equivalent of a malnourished Greyhound...