Gibson TV Les Paul Fun Fact

What's Hot
DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
Forgive me if this has been covered but I just saw an episode of "Antiques Roadshow" on youtube and an elderly gent appeared with a mid 50's TV Les Paul in almost new condition with that mustard yellow finish.  The adjudicator said Gibson painted them that color and called them TV models because they wanted them to show up well on black and white teleivision.  He put it's value at $11,000 to $12,000 US dollars.  I often wondered why they chose that finish. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That’s it. Proper white was too bright. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Thought that was quite well known! White guitars used to dazzle on black and white telly as far as I know, the yellow was meant to be a softer shade that would show up better. Suppose that's why I can't bring to mind any 50s Gibsons at all that were white - the earliest one I can think of is the '61 SG Custom.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Gibson painted them that colour and called them TV models because they wanted them to show up well on black and white television. 
    Nineteen Fifties monochrome television required extremely powerful studio lighting to achieve much tonal contrast. Under these conditions, a strongly lit pure white finish would flare horribly. By comparison, the yellow finish appeared normal.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    And no coincidence it was the same colour combo as the original Telecaster.....
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Why they valuing in dollars on Antiques Roadshow?

Is the pound really that shit now?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    tony99 said:
    Why they valuing in dollars on Antiques Roadshow?

Is the pound really that shit now?
    This was filmed in Arkansas US.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I believe it wasn't just guitars. Those whiter-than-white sheets in the soap powder adverts and those gleaming white teeth in the toothpaste adverts would have been anything but in real life.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2018
    Actually, just had a look for this - apparently this was an urban myth and had nothing to do with TV other than Gibson wanted a 'modern' colour.

In 1954, the Les Paul Junior debuted, targeted the beginning or student guitarist. The Junior is characterized by its flat-top "slab" mahogany body, finished in sunburst. It had a single P-90 pickup, simple volume and tone controls, an unbound rosewood fingerboard with plain dot-shape position markers, and a combination bridge/tailpiece unit similar to the Goldtop.
    In 1955, Gibson launched the Les Paul TV model, which was identical to the Junior except for the name and a fashionable contemporary "limed oak" style finish, later more accurately named "limed mahogany". This natural wood finish with white grain filler often aged into a natural wood or dull yellow appearance, and eventually evolved into the opaque mustard yellow, popularly called "TV yellow". The model was not, as a popular myth says, to avoid glare from old TV cameras, but a modern look and a name to promote "The Les Paul & Mary Ford Show" then on television.
    Gibson made a radical design change to their Junior and TV models in 1958: to accommodate player requests for more access to the top frets than the previous designs allowed, these electric guitar models were revamped with a new double-cutaway body shape. In addition, Juniors were now available with a cherry red finish, while the re-shaped TV adopted a more yellow-tinged finish.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited March 2018
    Plectrum said:
    I believe it wasn't just guitars. Those whiter-than-white sheets in the soap powder adverts and those gleaming white teeth in the toothpaste adverts would have been anything but in real life.

Pepsodent
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    mbe said:
    Plectrum said:

Pepsodent
    You'll wonder where the yellow went... :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Voxman said:
    Actually, just had a look for this - apparently this was an urban myth and had nothing to do with TV other than Gibson wanted a 'modern' colour.

In 1954, the Les Paul Junior debuted, targeted the beginning or student guitarist. The Junior is characterized by its flat-top "slab" mahogany body, finished in sunburst. It had a single P-90 pickup, simple volume and tone controls, an unbound rosewood fingerboard with plain dot-shape position markers, and a combination bridge/tailpiece unit similar to the Goldtop.
    In 1955, Gibson launched the Les Paul TV model, which was identical to the Junior except for the name and a fashionable contemporary "limed oak" style finish, later more accurately named "limed mahogany". This natural wood finish with white grain filler often aged into a natural wood or dull yellow appearance, and eventually evolved into the opaque mustard yellow, popularly called "TV yellow". The model was not, as a popular myth says, to avoid glare from old TV cameras, but a modern look and a name to promote "The Les Paul & Mary Ford Show" then on television.
    Gibson made a radical design change to their Junior and TV models in 1958: to accommodate player requests for more access to the top frets than the previous designs allowed, these electric guitar models were revamped with a new double-cutaway body shape. In addition, Juniors were now available with a cherry red finish, while the re-shaped TV adopted a more yellow-tinged finish.

Well crap.  I'm right back where I started.  So, if they faded to that "mustard yellow" over time that at least means they didn't do it on purpose.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I had an original yellow ‘57 Les Paul Special once... nice guitar but an absolutely foul colour, it always reminded me of the Afrika Korps khaki from my Airfix kit days.

[/heresy]

All original except for a repaired headstock crack. I paid £850 for it in the very late 80s and sold it for £1250 in the early 90s... and thought I’d done quite well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    I reckon they borrowed the colour and the name from fender,  telecaster, TV model and blackguard teles were a whiter shade when new. 
    The one on the show was in beautiful shape, the original owner who is now an elderly fellow was given it brand new in his teens and never got past learning a few chords and then forgetting about it.  It had two P-90's and actually looked pretty cool despite the finish.  The close up of the headstock showed that it probably had the original strings on it judging by the dust and the blackening of the strings.

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    ICBM said:
    I had an original yellow ‘57 Les Paul Special once... nice guitar but an absolutely foul colour, it always reminded me of the Afrika Korps khaki from my Airfix kit days.

[/heresy]

All original except for a repaired headstock crack. I paid £850 for it in the very late 80s and sold it for £1250 in the early 90s... and thought I’d done quite well.
    And I came so close to buying that guitar when you had it for sale in Simpsons......................"its not the things you do in life you regert, its the things you dont do", so true in this instance!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    AuldReekie said:

And I came so close to buying that guitar when you had it for sale in Simpsons......................"its not the things you do in life you regert, its the things you dont do", so true in this instance!
    Not as much as I regret not buying the '56 Custom :(.

Which is currently for sale, at £17K...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Have to look out for that show.

The LP TV Special is my favourite guitar......but I'll never have one.  :'(
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure the 'TV Yellow' finish for B&W TV really was designed with that in mind or was just a happy accident. 

The Junior was certainly designed as a quick answer to the Telecaster but the TV Yellow finish is one that changed pretty much every year of production.

It started as 'Limed Mahogany' in '54 then went through a beige 'Wheat' colour with grain showing, then became slightly more yellow and becoming more yellow as the years went on until '60 when it was a fully opaque 'Banana Yellow'.

I was trying to fin some pics to demonstrate. Will sort when I have some more time.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

[/heresy]

I recall those Airfix kit days and the A Korps kit back in the 70's - summer holidays in the 70's with your mates and war games
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited March 2018
    miserneil said:
    I'm not sure the 'TV Yellow' finish for B&W TV really was designed with that in mind or was just a happy accident. 

The Junior was certainly designed as a quick answer to the Telecaster but the TV Yellow finish is one that changed pretty much every year of production.

It started as 'Limed Mahogany' in '54 then went through a beige 'Wheat' colour with grain showing, then became slightly more yellow and becoming more yellow as the years went on until '60 when it was a fully opaque 'Banana Yellow'.

I was trying to fin some pics to demonstrate. Will sort when I have some more time.

yes, I was going to post similar.   There are at least 3 different versions of TV yellow, before you consider the natural discolouration that adds even greater variety

55 vs 56

57 vs 59