Fender to buy Gibson?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Fretwired said:
    Whitecat said:
    No one is going to buy Gibson in their current state.

The guitar making bit has strong revenues and profits. 
    This keeps coming up, if it’s true then why do we spend our lives dissing everything they come out with as they must be doing the guitar bit OK. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Can anyone @ me and explain why Fender is in trouble? They dominate a huge part of the market and have a large markups plus they never bought a crapload of companies they didn't need AFAIK.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Can anyone @ me and explain why Fender is in trouble? They dominate a huge part of the market and have a large markups plus they never bought a crapload of companies they didn't need AFAIK.
    Yes they did - that’s exactly why they’re in debt. They even closed some of them down, so they were clearly bad investments. The difference with Gibson is that they stuck to guitar-related companies (as far as I know) and that their own profitability is higher so their credit rating hasn’t been downgraded and they’re less under pressure from their banks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Yes they did - that’s exactly why they’re in debt. They even closed some of them down, so they were clearly bad investments. The difference with Gibson is that they stuck to guitar-related companies (as far as I know) and that their own profitability is higher so their credit rating hasn’t been downgraded and they’re less under pressure from their banks.
    Fender purchased SWR, Takamine, Hamer, Ovation, Guild, Genz Benz Guitar Amps, Sunn for starters - maybe others I can't recall 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    Guild, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, Ovation(?), Hamer, Sunn, SWR, Tacoma, EVH is a Fender brand... Squier of course.  Loads of them.

(Edit:  Oops, virtually duplicated Mr Hopkin's post)
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    edited March 2018
    *Just another smart arse post....move along!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    Fender purchased SWR, Takamine, Hamer, Ovation, Guild, Genz Benz Guitar Amps, Sunn for starters - maybe others I can't recall 
    I know of some of those companies they bought and just never assumed they were lossmakers on a large scale.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    ICBM said:
    Hamer,Gretsch
    @MattFGBI may correct me, but from what I remember Fender don't own Gretsch - the company - the Gretsch family still does. What Fender bought was the manufacturing and marketing rights.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Can’t be true.

Fibson.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    The designs don’t directly compete with each other.   

If Fender were in a better place, why not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8797
    Can’t be true.

Fibson.
    Fake news!

Sad!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited March 2018
    WezV said:

If Fender were in a better place, why not
    The two biggest American guitar brands under common ownership makes perfect sense to me....
    WezV said:
    They do in the sense that there are probably a finite number of potential guitar sales in any given year.

ICBM said:
    WezV said:
    They do in the sense that there are probably a finite number of potential guitar sales in any given year.
    Yes, but most buyers already know if the want F or G style.  Playing one won’t convince them they don’t want the other.

a company that offered both, with historical brands intact, would be in a very strong position
    Think of it in terms of a companies whole product range.  The aim is to have something within the range that could appeal to any player
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    WezV said:
    Think of it in terms of a companies whole product range.  The aim is to have something within the range that could appeal to any player
    Fender had that opportunity to fill the hum bucket set-neck slot with Hamer and fucked it up. 
    edited March 2018
    WezV said:

Yes, but most buyers already know if the want F or G style.  Playing one won’t convince them they don’t want the other.
    Many players seem to want both. If they only have a finite amount of money to spend, buying one will prevent them buying the other, at least in the short term - so they are in competition for the same number of sales.

WezV said:

a company that offered both, with historical brands intact, would be in a very strong position
    Agreed, since they would then make a sale either way. Of course there are other brands too so they still wouldn't have a monopoly, but it would be a fairly large step closer to that.

It would be quite like Boeing buying McDonnell-Douglas, in fact. (With Yamaha as Airbus, probably.)

dindude said:
    WezV said:
    Fender had that opportunity to fill the hum bucket set-neck slot with Hamer and fucked it up. 
    I like hamer.... but they are not Gibson.   The designs are similar.  The strength of brand is not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    Maybe Amazon will buy Gibson.

They've got the money.  And they had a practice run with all those 2015 models they knocked out cheap.