Fender to buy Gibson?

What's Hot
chris78chris78 Frets: 9485
Ive got no source, but I’ve heard a rumour from my local guitar tech that Fender are in negotiations to buy the Gibson guitar brand. Might be rubbish, but would make lots of sense
12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5471
    edited March 2018
    No one is going to buy Gibson in their current state.

They need to wait until they are officially bankrupt so they can hive off the good bits (Gibson Guitars) and shed the dead weight/debt (everything else).

Add 'Fender' to the rumour mill list, which currently includes Yamaha and Bandlab (backed by a far-east oil billionaire whose son recently bought Heritage).

Also, while Fender is definitely in better shape than Gibson, they are still fairly debt-laden... I guess it depends on how much capital it will take to free Gibson from the hands of the (US-equivalent of the) administrators.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    There was a rumour not that long ago that Peavey were going to buy them. It wasn't strictly untrue but Henry would never sell. The choice would have to be taken away from him. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    There was a rumour not that long ago that Peavey were going to buy them. It wasn't strictly untrue but Henry would never sell. The choice would have to be taken away from him. 
    Wow, that would be a great combo... not. HP makes Henry look positively charming.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14693
    chris78 said:
    I’ve heard a rumour
    All rumours are true - especially the ones that contradict each other.

Fake secondhand news.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    Whitecat said:

They need to wait until they are officially bankrupt so they can hive off the good bits (Gibson Guitars) and shed the dead weight/debt (everything else).

Add 'Fender' to the rumour mill list, which currently includes Yamaha and Bandlab (backed by a far-east oil billionaire whose son recently bought Heritage).

Also, while Fender is definitely in better shape than Gibson, they are still fairly debt-laden... I guess it depends on how much capital it will take to free Gibson from the hands of the (US-equivalent of the) administrators.
    They'll do a 'prepack' deal.

This is how you do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-packaged_insolvency

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Aren't Fender in a pretty poor financial situation themselves also?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Jack_ said:
    Aren't Fender in a pretty poor financial situation themselves also?
    Yup...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Seems unlikely a local guitar tech will have the inside track on a multi-million dollar buy out. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    chris78 said:
    Ive got no source, but I’ve heard a rumour from my local guitar tech that Fender are in negotiations to buy the Gibson guitar brand. Might be rubbish, but would make lots of sense
    C’mon, this is a bit too early for the 1st April japery.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. Everyone knows it’s going to be Marshall....!  =)
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Trump has announced that he will save Gibson by imposing a 2000% import tax on all non-US made guitars.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10944
    tFB Trader
    Apple will buy out Gibson and introduce non standard jack connectors that will be changed for something totally different and incompatible every couple of years. Fretboards that play slower over the amount same time to encourage you to upgrade, and of course they will only take iStrings that will be priced to reflect the exclusivity of the instrument ...
    :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    And the first order of business is...

15reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    Given their own debt, Fender buying Gibson would be a double-or-bust gamble of the highest order, but stranger things have probably happened in the world of corporate finance...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14612
    tFB Trader
    State PV are in then they could not afford it - Maybe in his hay day but not now
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    edited March 2018
    Chappers should buy Gibson.

Discuss...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23486
    Apple will buy out Gibson and introduce non standard jack connectors that will be changed for something totally different and incompatible every couple of years. Fretboards that play slower over the amount same time to encourage you to upgrade, and of course they will only take iStrings that will be priced to reflect the exclusivity of the instrument ...
    :-)
    I would welcome that as an excuse for my shitty playing.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    State PV are in then they could not afford it - Maybe in his hay day but not now
    It was a while ago before it all went tits up for them. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5471
    Fretboards that play slower over the amount same time to encourage you to upgrade
    Ah, the ol’ “Layla.”
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Whitecat said:

Not so. The guitar making bit has strong revenues and profits. The banks may force the sale of whatever can raise money to pay down the debt so the guitar making arm could be spun out of the group and sold.

Fender is broke - it couldn't afford Gibson and it would make no sense commercially.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!