Kinman Strat Pickups Weight

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
 Does anyone know what is the actual weight of one (or a set of three) Kinman Stratocaster pick ups as compared to a set of three non-noise cancelling conventional Strat pickups please...?
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Have I hugely overslept and it’s April 1st!?!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    I was wondering the same...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
    Actually - no, I have a rather unusual guitar (non-fine tuner floyd and a conventional Strat neck with a bone nut) that's a bit heavy at 3.6kg (heavy for me, I have rather unpleasant neck and shoulder problems).

So I'm desperately searching for ways to weight relieve it. I'm thinking perhaps routing out the area covered by the pickguard. Also if conventional single coils are significantly lighter that's an obvious option...

Come on guys help me out here - we're all guitar geeks   :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I don’t think searching for lighter pickups is the answer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Without wishing to sound unhelpful my guess is that the weight of ‘any’ Strat pick-up will be close enough to identical, as to be of no consequence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited March 2018
    There was a 3 point guitar strap on the market iirc, it was for guitarists with back issues 

http://www.mundomusicgear.co.uk/pain-free-guitar-strap/

The lightest guitar you’ll find is either a pre facelift Parker Fly or SG 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited March 2018
    There is a reason why pickup manufacturers don't list weight but do variously list resistance, resonance and inductance.

Weight would only start being significant if someone started making their pickups out of extraordinarily heavy or especially light materials- you know, black holes, or fairy jizz and such.

If you want a light guitar then look at Steinberger, Canton, Forshage, Strandberg headless designs.

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
     Thanks guys for all the suggestions. This instrument is very close to my heart, and this picture will tell you why. There is only one in the world (because no one else would buy one anyway) 

https://i.imgur.com/95kAjQ2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fBHYarB.jpg

It was inspired by the Guthrie Govan guitar but I wanted three single coil pickups.  It actually goes one step beyond the GG in that the headstock is backangled - meaning no string trees which makes it even more tuning stable.

22 frets -  so the neck pick up is that the second octave (if that actually makes a difference I don’t know, but I like how it sounds).

It has everything, including a contoured heel and rear chamfering of the lower horn to  facilitate access to the dusty end of the fingerboard.

Is there anything practically do-able to reduce the weight? Given the unusual nature of the bridge, I can’t very well buy a light / chambered body off-the-shelf...even Warmoth will only do a routing for recessed full-size Floyd  and that will leave an unsightly gap behind the locking screws  tuners.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    jaymenon said:

......Is there anything practically do-able to reduce the weight? Given the unusual nature of the bridge, I can’t very well buy a light / chambered body off-the-shelf...even Warmoth will only do a routing for recessed full-size Floyd  and that will leave an unsightly gap behind the locking screws  tuners.
    Have you spoken to @FelineGuitars about that?
    If not, my advice is "Do" !
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    If your guitar is heavy, the weight of the pickups is the least of your problems! I have Kinmans and I don't recollect thinking anything of the weight
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    jaymenon said:
     Thanks guys for all the suggestions. This instrument is very close to my heart, and this picture will tell you why. There is only one in the world (because no one else would buy one anyway) 

https://i.imgur.com/95kAjQ2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fBHYarB.jpg

It was inspired by the Guthrie Govan guitar but I wanted three single coil pickups.  It actually goes one step beyond the GG in that the headstock is backangled - meaning no string trees which makes it even more tuning stable.

22 frets -  so the neck pick up is that the second octave (if that actually makes a difference I don’t know, but I like how it sounds).

It has everything, including a contoured heel and rear chamfering of the lower horn to  facilitate access to the dusty end of the fingerboard.

Is there anything practically do-able to reduce the weight? Given the unusual nature of the bridge, I can’t very well buy a light / chambered body off-the-shelf...even Warmoth will only do a routing for recessed full-size Floyd  and that will leave an unsightly gap behind the locking screws  tuners.
    Get a new chambered body and put a Gotoh 510 on it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited March 2018
    Kinmans *are* heavier than single coils, but probably not enough to make any practical difference.

Completely routing out the area under the pickguard will make a bigger difference, but it will very likely also change the sound of the guitar quite significantly, so I would be careful.

A chap I used to know once bought a 1979 25th Anniversary Strat - which usually weigh about as much as a car - and it was a quite reasonable weight and sounded somehow ‘airy’ and almost semi-acoustic. When we took the pickguard off, it was! It had been chiselled out for three humbuckers and a pedal circuit .

It can be surprising how little difference in weight is noticeable, although whether it will make enough of a difference to help, I don’t know. The balance of the guitar also changes the perceived weight quite a lot - lightening the body will make the weight shift more towards the neck, which may not be a good thing. If so then lighter machineheads may help - those are cast-body ones, which aren’t that light.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If you want to make a real difference to the weight, you’ll need to look at a new body. My Strat comes in at 3.0kg, and that’s all down to the super-light basswood body. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    What strap are you using?

A good strap makes a huge difference to perceived weight. 
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    Without wishing to sound unhelpful my guess is that the weight of ‘any’ Strat pick-up will be close enough to identical, as to be of no consequence.
    I recently got a set of fender gen4 noiseless and I was surprised by how much heavier they are compared to standard pickups. I haven't measured the difference, but it is very noticeable.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    Neodymium magnets?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited March 2018
    Neodymium magnets?
    And if they were the usual size, your guitar would probably slam into the nearest fridge, if you let go of it....
  • octatonic said:
    There is a reason why pickup manufacturers don't list weight but do variously list resistance, resonance and inductance.

Weight would only start being significant if someone started making their pickups out of extraordinarily heavy or especially light materials- you know, black holes, or fairy jizz and such.
    Agreed. The difference between pickups won’t be significant.

Which reminded me I’ve been meaning to weigh the Fluence Classic bridge I have as I’m sure it’s lighter than my other humbuckers.

I was correct but it’s not by much.

EMG 81 = 130g
    Fluence Classic = 105g

I’d guess that it’s going to be even less difference between typical single coils.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    Neodymium magnets?
    And if they were the usual size, your guitar would probably slam into the nearest fridge, if you let go of it....
    Exactly. So you can make the magnets very small and light.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I don't think rhe Kinman Strat pickups are that much heavier than standard. Their P90 ones on the other hand are much heavier than the stanard P90.