One pickup guitar - best to go bridge, neck or middle?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I'm trying an unusual pickup in a guitar, it basically goes under the scratchplate and is p90-ish in tone.

Best to go bridge, neck or middle for position?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    One bridge pickup is all you need :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    One bridge pickup is all you need :)
    This. 
    https://i.imgur.com/dlVdk2Q.jpg

Although someone on here has a neck pickup only Esquire that looks great. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Most people will say bridge, which is great for Overdriven rock, but I think you get more subtlety from neck or middle. Depends what you want to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    Lenny Kaye plays a strat with only a middle pickup, I wouldn't though - bridge for me.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    if you play clean, neck, if you play dirty then the bridge, not much into to go on TBH.
    If its stealth then why not use it in the neck with a visible bridge pickup.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    if you play clean, neck, if you play dirty then the bridge, not much into to go on TBH.
    If its stealth then why not use it in the neck with a visible bridge pickup.
    I fancy a clean top with no visible pickups.

I have to admit that I am more of a distortion/cranked sound sort of player, but having said that, I'm trying this primarily as something to use with synth software, and maybe a Boss SY-300.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I'd just make sure that if you are using it into an amp that the necks sits relatively low in the pocket (low string height relative to body) so that you get enough output.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'd just make sure that if you are using it into an amp that the necks sits relatively low in the pocket (low string height relative to body) so that you get enough output.
    Yeah, I'm building the neck/body myself, it will be real low! I've used the pickup before though and it worked fine.
  • Whichever you’d use most.

I’d be happy with just a bridge pickup myself.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Bridge for almost all uses, neck for jazz. The Godin Kingpin has a p90 in the neck only, but otherwise humbucker seems to be the choice for neck only guitars. So bridge and make sure you have a tone pot so you can bring it down a bit, too.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Neck, you can make a neck sound like a bridge but less easy t'other way round.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28368
    Middle. Middle always sounds best.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    For me it is like those people who hop or skip a marathon rather than run it.
    Why make it harder?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    edited March 2018
    Bridge, but not too close.

For me it’s about magnetic dampening from the pickup.  A single bridge pickup is about as little as you can get.  If you are having a neck pickup, even on its own, you lose that benefit so may as well add another pickup 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    If you're building it yourself then why not rout it for all the positions and see what works best
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    edited March 2018
    I’ve had a musicmaster in the past that sounded sublime for mild crunch to clean and really made me play in a different style to how I normally would but.... I’ve got a musicman Sub 1 guitar one of the USA range they did back in 2007 with only a single humbucker in the bridge wired to 250k pots for vol and tone and it’s the perfect all rounder.  Plays great and sounds great for high gain and a little roll of on  volume and setting the tone around 5 and it gets pretty damn close to a great warm neck tone. It basically is my Swiss Army knife guitar and I don’t really think when I play it, I just move my picking hand closer to the neck and touch and touch the two controls subliminally. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I built a dc junior with a a mojo dual foil with  spilt coil which I really like and adds a bit more versatility

Mike Bradley on you tube did a demo of it for me if you're interested in the sound, it is different to the normal dogear p90
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    Why not borrow an idea from the Gibson Grabber, Washburn Rail or Wilkes "The Answer" bass guitars. Movable pickup(s).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Get a Strat.

Play it one week with the bridge pickup only, then one week with the middle one, then one with the neck one.

Have a think about which you prefer.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    Somewhere between middle and bridge. I'm basing this entirely on the Epiphone Century I played last summer. It were reet good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires