F###ing band problems

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415

I'm in 4 gigging bands so I have to do a fair bit of organizing, learning songs and have to keep a good calendar otherwise it wouldn't work. I don't struggle with learning songs, I've been doing it so long that often I know what the parts are without picking up a guitar or keyboard. That aspect of being in a covers band gets easier and easier as time goes by. 
     In my experience the biggest motivator for band members is money ....... if the bands good then the money will be good and when band members are earning good money they are not so inclined to have a paddy over minor stuff, they will act more professionally  and things are generally easier all round.

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    Danny1969 said:
     if the bands good then the money will be good and when band members are earning good money they are not so inclined to have a paddy over minor stuff, they will act more professionally  and things are generally easier all round.

This is so right. It's bad when you're doing loads of freebies because you're just starting. There's something magical about a big wad being handed over because you did your favourite thing for 2hrs... you'll put up with more bad stuff, but amazingly you don't have to because everyone's in such a good mood.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Well, right on cue, the first rehearsal we have for weeks, and the drummer's had a massive row with his missus about him going on a 4-date mini tour in Amsterdam, and he tells us he's hanging up his sticks for a while so he can sort his life out. Plus the bassist still hasn't finished our new 4-track demo after only a mere 4 months, and we have only one gig in the diary.

I might as well pack this lark up completely.
    :(

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    why don't we virtually get together perhaps via dropbox to create something that doesn't rely on people turning up for band practice or being willing to gig?

(he said, with his studio still unassembled from the house move...)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    It won't matter. People will virtually not turn up.

what I meant was passing files around to add your bit to, not having to be all online at once.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    I know, I was being silly as usual.

• what I meant was passing files around to add your bit to, not having to be all online at once.
    The latest thing I'm in doing like this is still waiting on 3 guitarists contributing their parts. Only short sections but still we are waiting. In real life with a deadline, or online with all the time in the world, flakes will still be flakes :(
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    what I meant was passing files around to add your bit to, not having to be all online at once.
    The latest thing I'm in doing like this is still waiting on 3 guitarists contributing their parts. Only short sections but still we are waiting. In real life with a deadline, or online with all the time in the world, flakes will still be flakes :(
    If I had my studio together I'd say let me have a go
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    This is basically how we're recording our album. Myself, the bassist and the drummer record our parts at home, then the other guitarist records at the drummer's place and we all get together for the vocal sessions (I drive the computer, the others sing). Works pretty well.
    <space for hire>
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Auditioned two singers and one drummer yesterday.

We may be heading back on track.

:)

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @close2u

my advice - persevere if it sounds right

in 12 months we had 3 singers, 2 guitarists, 2 bass players.  but in the end the second guitarist knew a great bass player, and the drummer knew a great singer who became free

and now the bloody thing kicks ass!  and we smile more as a result.

but it took a while.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited April 2014
    @nickp
    First rehearsal session tomorrow evening with a new drummer and two new singers.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Oh, and I think good guitarists are as rare as good singers and good drummers.
    SOOOOOO MUCH WISDOM

I used to think I was pretty good as a shred head.  I slowed down, learnt bass, used virtual drum kits and all of a sudden, I realised how bad I was, leaving no space for anything other than guitar.  

Then I realised my playing was fairly sloppy - playing bass to backing tracks taught me how important a metronome can be.  

Then, once I finally got to a stage where, within a few takes, I could record something half decent... I wouldn't have the skills to cut it in a live context.

I'm shit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Drew_fx said:
    Oh, and I think good guitarists are as rare as good singers and good drummers.
    SOOOOOO MUCH WISDOM

I used to think I was pretty good as a shred head.  I slowed down, learnt bass, used virtual drum kits and all of a sudden, I realised how bad I was, leaving no space for anything other than guitar.  

Then I realised my playing was fairly sloppy - playing bass to backing tracks taught me how important a metronome can be.  

Then, once I finally got to a stage where, within a few takes, I could record something half decent... I wouldn't have the skills to cut it in a live context.

I'm shit!
    Is this the rehab thread?

By knowing you're shit, you're already way, way better than 99% all guitarists out there.

I'm shit, too - but, after all these years, I've become very adept at hiding it, to the point where nobody notices. I think that's the real art of playing the guitar in public.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I'm sure there's an equilibrium between shitness and what punters expect for a £200 pub band. As was mentioned above if you know you need you to improve then that's a good thing. There has to be some ego though if your role in the band is "lead guitar".
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• There has to be some ego though if your role in the band is "lead guitar".
    I'd like some of the people I have had the (dis)pleasure of working with to trade their ego for competence and showmanship.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I allways get gigs first, so band has something to rehearse for.
    We had a rehearsel Last year and the year before, hopefully gonna have another this year as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    I allways get gigs first, so band has something to rehearse for.
    I've always found there's nothing like an impending gig to focus everybody's minds during a rehearsal.
    Having no 'deadline' to work towards always seems to lead to unproductive rehearsals (especially if there's no strong leader/employer).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17631
    tFB Trader
    I allways get gigs first, so band has something to rehearse for.
    I've always found there's nothing like an impending gig to focus everybody's minds during a rehearsal.
    Having no 'deadline' to work towards always seems to lead to unproductive rehearsals (especially if there's no strong leader/employer).
    I'm learning that this is very true.