F###ing band problems

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    I allways get gigs first, so band has something to rehearse for.
    I've always found there's nothing like an impending gig to focus everybody's minds during a rehearsal.
    Having no 'deadline' to work towards always seems to lead to unproductive rehearsals (especially if there's no strong leader/employer).
    This in spades
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Well we had a rehearsal with two new singers and new drummer ... and there's potential enough to continue. It's sometimes awkward feeling your way with new people ... encouraging news though. :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    I used to think I was pretty good as a shred head.  I slowed down, learnt bass, used virtual drum kits and all of a sudden, I realised how bad I was, leaving no space for anything other than guitar.  

More people of all instruments need to understand this. You don't have to be playing your flashiest stuff *all the time*. Guitarists can be bad but Ive seen it with drummers and bassists as well. Comment complaint about keyboardists who should really be dropping down to single note lines alot of the time in a band context.

Rarely singers though......
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    And...boom. Last night a standing face-to-face shouting row between the bass player and the drummer followed by a huge flounce out of the rehearsal room by both. To be honest, I'm not surprised as the drummer is (was) a feisty little so-and-so and you were always on eggshells around him. The rest of us want to continue and we already have a candidate for a new drummer for a rehearsal next week.

Immediately after the row I was thinking "shit...that's three years just sacked off" and then this morning I realised I wasn't that bothered...it's only a covers band and any decent drummer should be able to learn our set in a couple of sessions. Here we go again...
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    I'd just like to know where an originals band gets a gig.

Also it's not band commitment, it's individual commitment - heavily affected by chemistry between band members.

Finally at my age, it's not about time, but energy...
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26624
    edited May 2014
    I'd just like to know where an originals band gets a gig.
    Lots of schlepping about and begging. Until, that is, you get to the point where it looks like you've got a decent following - at that point, if you've got a PA and enough material to do two sets (or you can get another band in for a set), you can start charging almost covers money for gigs. Oddly, when you start charging, you'll find you get more gigs...
    <space for hire>
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Yep, multi-band bills are the way with originals bands, not 3 hours down the Dog and Duck. Different kettle of fish altogether really.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26624
    Bidley said:
    Yep, multi-band bills are the way with originals bands, not 3 hours down the Dog and Duck. Different kettle of fish altogether really.
    Yup...with that in mind, it always pays to make nice with a few other local (and not-so-local) original bands too. 
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom