I would like a doublecut les paul junior.

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
but they are hard to come by.

Even regular used juniors are going for silly prices on ebay these days. a guitar that you could pick up for £300 is now going for £600ish.

I had a tokai model briefly but I want a gibson one but don't want to pay over the odds.

Or is it better if I just save up and by something older/custom shop one. I look online everyday for one but rarely ever come up for sale in the UK.  

I might have to look to Japan or a store in switzerland who seem to have them sometimes.

any other ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9681
    Does it absolutely have to be a Gibson. I played a Gordon Smith Junior a month or so back and it really was rather good.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    HAL9000 said:
    Does it absolutely have to be a Gibson. I played a Gordon Smith Junior a month or so back and it really was rather good.
    I think so. I have a singlecut and I love it.
    the tokai I had was nice but i returned it the next week.
    I didn't like the paint job. 

I played a 59 one on holiday and fell in love. then again I felt that about all the guitars I played. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I don' know why Gibson won't just make us all double cut junior'. I had to build me own using one of GSPBASSES body and necks. That' it in avatar. Gibson would clean up building a vintage spec dc with wraparound bridge in cherry and a decent tv yellow! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    sawyer said:
    I don' know why Gibson won't just make us all double cut junior'. I had to build me own using one of GSPBASSES body and necks. That' it in avatar. Gibson would clean up building a vintage spec dc with wraparound bridge in cherry and a decent tv yellow! 
    yep. they might not be in such a mess if they perhaps gave customers what they wanted.

They have released single cut juniors in recent years but never quite right. 

2015 they had the robotuners and anniversary headstock and the weird nut. the limited 2016 one I bought is great but the vintage sunburst is so dark. the 2018 one is the right colour but the headstock has the different logo :(

double cut options even less than this. a recent custom shop was a black model.

I wish they would abolish this trend of releasing a new line each year. Have the classics available at all times and have a few variations each year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    That' all they need to do,cause that' all we want:(
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited March 2018
    They do come up from time to time, but my GSPBASSES DC in TV yellow that I bought from this very hallowed Forum isn't going anywhere.......

Crappy bleached out pic.......'in the 'flesh' it is more 'Geest' if you know what I mean.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited March 2018
    There's one in the classifieds RIGHT NOW 

Edit: ignore that - I've just seen the price it's being listed at and in context of the OPs comment at the top of the thread had to have a chortle...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    SRich said:
    They do come up from time to time, but my GSPBASSES DC in TV yellow that I bought from this very hallowed Forum isn't going anywhere.......

Crappy bleached out pic.......'in the 'flesh' it is more 'Geest' if you know what I mean.
    Nice! :)

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2014/08/04/spraying-a-gibson-style-tv-yellow-finish/
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We do one but it's in another league price wise to what the OP is considering

V nice though - a couple of guys on the Fretboard have one

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22915
    adamm82 said:
    Or is it better if I just save up and by something older/custom shop one. I look online everyday for one but rarely ever come up for sale in the UK.  

I might have to look to Japan or a store in switzerland who seem to have them sometimes.

They hardly ever come up for sale anywhere!  Gibson Custom Shop haven't made them for a few years now and people who have them seem to keep them.  Especially the doublecuts.

Be careful with Japanese dealers on eBay, there are loads of them now who all use stock pictures and don't actually have the things they list.  But their prices have become insanely high so I doubt anyone tries to buy from them anyway. 

• powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198

Not exactly as per the old Les Paul Juniors, but it is a Gibson, it is double cut and it is for sale for a lot less than in previous years...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cutaway-2018.aspx

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    adamm82 said:
    I wish they would abolish this trend of releasing a new line each year. Have the classics available at all times and have a few variations each year. 
    Need a new job and are you prepared to re-locate?

Dial 1-800-GibsonCEO

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I might have exactly what you (and it seems a few others) might be after....hitting the Classifieds tonight...

Fully vintage correct replica with all measurements taken from my original 1959 Les Paul Junior DC.

PM me for details :)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22915
    miserneil said:
    I might have exactly what you (and it seems a few others) might be after....hitting the Classifieds tonight...

Fully vintage correct replica with all measurements taken from my original 1959 Les Paul Junior DC.

You haven't got a cherry one as well, have you? :)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    miserneil said:

You haven't got a cherry one as well, have you? :)
    PM me @Philly_Q .... :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Slightly different take on the thing but I picked up this double cut Les Paul Special recently.  One of the reviled 2015 models but I rather like it.  One more pickup: what's not to like? 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    JerkMoans said:
     One more pickup: what's not to like? 

The neck pickup, surplus to requirements :) does look very nice though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    edited March 2018
    miserneil said:

PM me for details

Pwhhhooooaaaarrrr everyone is now waiting for this to hit the classifieds 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Depends how precious you are about the Gibson look, but my Lag does all that and a bit more...

http://media.mediaformusic.nl/mm/userfiles/image/2014/2014-01/Lag%20RR%202000/met%20zak.jpg
    I saw a nice Bacchus SG with P90s around £600 somewhere too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom