Strange offer at GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
I got an email from GuitarGuitar a few days ago offering a free Marshall MG15 with any Epiphone over a certain value, which makes sense, a cheaper guitar and you get a nice budget practice amp to go with it.

But today I got an email about free Marshall MG30s with any 2018 Gibson USA guitar, that doesn't make sense. That's an entry level gigging amp with a high end guitar!
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7013
    I noticed that, baffling.  Are there many people out there playing high end guitars through budget amps? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27082
    I'm guessing they're trying to catch the post-beginner crowd, those who have been playing a year or so and know they want "a proper Gibson" but don't yet know what they're actually looking for in a guitar or amp beyond brand names.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Ah, the good old Marshall MG. It would seem they can't even give them away nowadays...
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I supposed they are seeing it as a practice amp.  I have played numerous high end guitars through my Vox DA5 which was around £80.
  • Cols said:
    I noticed that, baffling.  Are there many people out there playing high end guitars through budget amps? 
    Yeah loads!

Maybe not that budget, but a lot of people have a bunch of nice instruments and a relatively cheaper amp.
  • powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198

But today I got an email about free Marshall MG30s with any 2018 Gibson USA guitar, that doesn't make sense. That's an entry level gigging amp with a high end guitar!
    If you're not planning on taking them up on their offer, would you mind sharing?  I'm about to order a 2018 Gibson and free stuff is good!
  • ColsCols Frets: 7013
    powerhand said:

If you're not planning on taking them up on their offer, would you mind sharing?  I'm about to order a 2018 Gibson and free stuff is good!
    Ask and ye shall receive.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/gibson/2018-mg-deal/?InStockOnly=False&MaxPrice=&MinPrice=&ClearanceType=&Ordering=3&utm_source=guitarguitar+Main+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f30cc7d9b1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bb8007ee21-f30cc7d9b1-459876337
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:

Ask and ye shall receive.
    Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

We are a weird bunch. Although most would agree that generally a cheap guitar sounds better through a great amp than a great guitar through a cheap amp, purchasing habits don't always reflect that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Or they’re just trying to preemptively unload 2018 Gibsons at any cost. They know lots of people will just flog the amp on eBay, and consider it a discount on the guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Cols said:
    I've got some fairly decent kit that on occasions gets run through my little RAT modded Epi Valve Jr. for decent toanz at family- and neighbour-friendly volumes.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Whitecat said:
    They know lots of people will just flog the amp on eBay, and consider it a discount on the guitar. 

Yup.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Whitecat said:
    Or they’re just trying to preemptively unload 2018 Gibsons at any cost. They know lots of people will just flog the amp on eBay, and consider it a discount on the guitar. 

Quite possible - especially with all financial problems Gibson have.  There might be a boatload of Gibsons being sold off cheap to try and raise quick cash before their loan repayments are due in the summer.
    crunchman said:
    Whitecat said:

Quite possible - especially with all financial problems Gibson have.  There might be a boatload of Gibsons being sold off cheap to try and raise quick cash before their loan repayments are due in the summer.
    Gibson’s already been paid for those guitars - I would guess it’s more GG wanting to get rid of them as quickly as they can, but they are not (yet) allowed to cash discount them as it’s too soon in the model year. So this is another way to incentivise it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I think some dealers still haven't got all their Gibson stock yet eg the 2018 LP Classic Goldtop.
    Whitecat said:
    crunchman said:
    Whitecat said:

Gibson’s already been paid for those guitars - I would guess it’s more GG wanting to get rid of them as quickly as they can, but they are not (yet) allowed to cash discount them as it’s too soon in the model year. So this is another way to incentivise it...

But if Gibson offload everything in their warehouse at 50% of normal price next week to try and get quick cash, then GG will have loads of guitars that they won't be able to sell at anything like the current prices.  They would be forced to eat a huge amount of loss.  If they have any idea of something potentially being in the pipeline this could be a way to preempt it.

edited March 2018
    The thing that’s “in the pipeline” is probably just “more stock”. Gibson requires a massive up-front commitment and they just send dealers whatever, whenever. GG would rather move it through fast rather than sit on it... this is a solution. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I'd rather have a discount on the guitar, than have to deal with off loading an amp I never wanted.

Of course it's possible that GG have a boatload of Marshall MG series to offload.  

Their main use has to be as practice amps, but these days it's more cost effective to plug into a computer - or even your phone - for home practice.  It doesn't clutter up your room either.

It's possibly a combination of a) having too many MGs or b) getting a load of MGs in at a silly price because Marshall wants to get rid of them and c) having to enforce a "no discounting" policy on Gibsons.