Strange offer at GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    crunchman said:

Of course it's possible that GG have a boatload of Marshall MG series to offload.  

Their main use has to be as practice amps, but these days it's more cost effective to plug into a computer - or even your phone - for home practice.  It doesn't clutter up your room either.

Is there any way to use my phone's speaker as a practice amp?  I tried an iRig thing but that only works through headphones, which I hate using.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    JerkMoans said:
    crunchman said:

Of course it's possible that GG have a boatload of Marshall MG series to offload.  

Their main use has to be as practice amps, but these days it's more cost effective to plug into a computer - or even your phone - for home practice.  It doesn't clutter up your room either.

Is there any way to use my phone's speaker as a practice amp?  I tried an iRig thing but that only works through headphones, which I hate using.

You can plug the headphone output into your stereo, or studio monitors.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Awful offer.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Ok, not the biggest fan of the new gibson line but the amp's free with any 2018 gibson guitar. This includes studios and other cheaper models. Free practice amp. What's wrong about that? I seriously don't get it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    As the owner of a 2018 Gibson I'd say "high end" is a bit of a stretch lol

Re: the comment that gg are trying to get rid of them, I used their form to ask how much they'd give me for a one month old lp and they just didn't even reply!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
    edited March 2018
    I sense that the 2018 price drop is coming soon......got an email from GAK on monday with a code (G100) for a £100 discount on the faded les paul and SG, down to £699. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7013
    JerkMoans said:
    Cols said:
    I noticed that, baffling.  Are there many people out there playing high end guitars through budget amps? 
    I've got some fairly decent kit that on occasions gets run through my little RAT modded Epi Valve Jr. for decent toanz at family- and neighbour-friendly volumes.
    I’m all for running a good guitar into a well-sorted low wattage valve amp; we can’t play fire-breathing 100W stacks all the time.  It’s the mismatch of a premium guitar with an entry level tranny combo that gets me. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited March 2018
    I was talking to a staff member at gg last week about Gibson and I got the distinct impression Gibson were not their favorite suppler at the moment, but I guess that is not surprising, and maybe something was afoot. They also suggested the latest deliveries they've had were not the best including custom shop models. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I don’t think that’s a strange offer. A foot massage or a kebab might be? But in a guitar shop...pretty normal I’d say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm seriously considering selling the les Paul I recently bought and was already taking the big financial hit when selling something recently bought.

I'm starting to worry I'll be getting even less for it now.

Would anyone say there's a rough percentage of the original price a current-year non custom shop Gibson would be likely to get?
    In the practice studio last night there was a Marshall MG50 sitting there and, since the normal Marshall head+cab amp was playing up, the guitar player in my band tried using the MG50.

Wow, it sounded bad lol. Doesn't surprise me they're trying to get rid of them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    They’re OK if you dial them in right, although the stock speaker doesn’t do them any favours. Start with the volume, bass and mid up high and the gain and treble fairly low.

I can certainly think of worse valve amps I’ve played...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    I'm seriously considering selling the les Paul I recently bought and was already taking the big financial hit when selling something recently bought.

Would anyone say there's a rough percentage of the original price a current-year non custom shop Gibson would be likely to get?
    The Tribute 2018? I’d be interested to know why your thinking of selling already; are there problemos with it? 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Cols said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Cols said:
    I noticed that, baffling.  Are there many people out there playing high end guitars through budget amps? 
    I've got some fairly decent kit that on occasions gets run through my little RAT modded Epi Valve Jr. for decent toanz at family- and neighbour-friendly volumes.
    I’m all for running a good guitar into a well-sorted low wattage valve amp; we can’t play fire-breathing 100W stacks all the time.  It’s the mismatch of a premium guitar with an entry level tranny combo that gets me. 
    What amp would you expect them to give away then?
    thegummy said:

The Tribute 2018? I’d be interested to know why your thinking of selling already; are there problemos with it? 
    There aren't any problems with the guitar itself, it's just that no matter how much I love the LP tone and always wanted to have it, I just haven't enjoyed the feel and shape of it and a couple of months later I don't seem to be clicking with it.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7013
    Garthy said
    Nothing.  If you’re going to give something away at that price range as an inducement instead of a discount, I’d go for a nice pedal instead.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Cols said:
    Garthy said
    Nothing.  If you’re going to give something away at that price range as an inducement instead of a discount, I’d go for a nice pedal instead.

There are a lot of nice pedals at the same price point, like the:

Dunlop Echoplex
    Boss DD 7
    Fulltone Fulldrive
    Lunastone Trueoverdrive 
    Loads of TRex Stuff
    Or even something simple like a Micro Amp Plus

The main reason is probably bad sales.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    I’d have though a more sensible deal would have been a Mesa amp with a free True Historic Les Paul....