Given the opportunity...

What's Hot
... If you could spec your own guitar from scratch, what would you spec?

I'm aware some of you will have done it already. What were your lessons learned?

I've very kindly had a builder interested in me and has offered to build me something from scratch. I'm fairly certain on various aspects but it's one of those things that is usually an abstract thought when day dreaming! Now the opportunity has been presented, I'm overwhelmed at the possible options! I'll post some further details when the spec is confirmed. 

So! If you were to spec your own guitar, what would you have made? Anything is possible! Colour? Neck? Woods? Pickups? Hardware? Electrics? Finger board? Truss rod? Scale length? Frets? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    To be honest, it wouldn't really be much different to an American Standard Strat except that I'd have an S1 switch to add in the bridge pickup and the colour would either be like the blueberry burst Les Paul or the blood orange PRS.

If it can be a bass it would be a PJ with a selector switch rather than dual volume controls, the wide P style neck, swamp ash body (unless this causes any neck dive which I'm not sure of). I don't really know much about the technical side of truss rods but I'd have it adjustable at the headstock and not at the bottom of  the neck like most P-Basses unless someone explained to me the benefits of the adjustment at the bottom of the neck.

The Maruszczyk website actually has a really great customiser where you go through and choose each spec and it shows you a mockup of it as you go along then it tells you how much it will cost and you can add it straight to the basket and have it made for a surprisingly low price!

Only basses though and I know this is a guitar forum so sorry that my guitar choice is so boring!
  • Well! I'm actually getting a bass spec'd up for a bassist I regularly play with too. He's vanilla though. 4 string jazz bass!
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I would most likely go for a Bilt Relevator/ Fender Marauder (prototype) style guitar in a Jazzmaster pickup configuration... Black with a tortie guard...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've promised myself a Feline by 2020.
    9 th October 2020 is the day I've playing for 40 years. I know that because it was on my 8th birthday I started and I'm 48 in 2020. It's a special age for me and makes my 50th look fairly insignificant.

What I want is a Soloist like this one...

https://i.imgur.com/EwjO1Z7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DR2yZeH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hqxXgXI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QgMQpf9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sHFDUVS.jpg
    (I want "Made in England" underneath the Feline logo in brush script).

There are 2 reasons I've posted that.
    One is that it's fucking stunning to look at but the other is that only a small percentage of people would agree with me, so it's not going to be a popular choice.

It's my choice though and that makes it perfect for this.

I'd fit a Fernandes sustainer, Stainless Steel frets and I'd want abalone as fret markers, not MOP but otherwise, that's perfect.
    I've played quite a few Soloists and owned one of the cheap ones so I know I love the neck dimensions and as for wood I'd go with whatever Jon suggested for that guitar but I'd like an Ebony fretboard if it'd work.

I've got a handbuilt Tele which wasn't built for me but was a gift to me after it was built. @SteveRobinson has seen it when he set it up last year. I'm pretty sure @darthed1981 and maybe @aord43 have played it at my place since then.
    It's a special little thing that's pretty difficult to put down and plays and sounds way more than it looks before you pick it up. It was built from GSP Basses parts using some very nice wood as a lightweight, light Relic Replica of a mid '60s Fender Tele so when @Bridgehouse built it he specced it for that. There's a few tiny tweaks I'm making at the moment from when I got it but they either mimic or replicate what's already there, the spec hasn't changed.

https://i.imgur.com/RCr5xIq.jpg

By comparison I own production guitars that whilst they're good, they're just not worth what the retailers charge for them brand new.
    Win some, lose some.

With handbuilt, it's a different planet and it can sometimes really change how you see guitars.
    Ask anyone who's owned a Feline ( @Hubobulous ? @Peteri ? ), a Black Machine ( @Bucket ?) a Jaden Rose ( @digitalscream ?) or still does.

I've got 4 production guitars which do different things very well but I can't see me getting too many more.
    Handbuilt guitars are incredible when they're done right.

Good luck man.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @Alnico - I have 3 Felines and they're all stunning. One was built to my spec and I love it. Jon has a piece of wood set aside that I chose a few years back so one day another Feline will be concocted.

Going custom is a great experience with @FelineGuitars ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    edited March 2018
    Alnico said:

I've got a handbuilt Tele which wasn't built for me but was a gift to me after it was built. @SteveRobinson has seen it when he set it up last year. I'm pretty sure @darthed1981 and maybe @aord43 have played it at my place since then.
    It's a special little thing that's pretty difficult to put down and plays and sounds way more than it looks before you pick it up. It was built from GSP Basses parts using some very nice wood as a lightweight, light Relic Replica of a mid '60s Fender Tele so when @Bridgehouse built it he specced it for that. There's a few tiny tweaks I'm making at the moment from when I got it but they either mimic or replicate what's already there, the spec hasn't changed.

I have played it @alnico and it's a lovely guitar.  I'm often drooling over shiny new Teles in guitar shops, but as you say, maybe putting one together with some help from the experts here like @Bridgehouse might be a better and far cheaper option.

That Jackson in pink looks the dogs balls BTW - I'm thinking on our "mooch" next week (if you are still in) I'll try to take in your wisdom around some of these brands, they all seem such amazing value.

I sort of feel with my black studio, the LTD and my Epi and Indie (which I cannot part with) I'm all Les Pauled out, and I haven't found a Strat I love yet...

Which means that I'm in the car as well after being on the forum for a year when it comes to @FelineGuitars I haven't seen a picture of one that doesn't look stunning or a comment anything other than glowing, fantastic to see that kind of quality in British manufacturing!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I love look of that Tele @alnico! Right up my street!
    edited March 2018
    I love look of that Tele @alnico! Right up my street!

I warn everyone who goes near it..

"Please remember before you pick it up that I'm keeping it no matter what and you'll probably spend years trying to find or build another one like it and that's not my fault,.....ok?"

But you are welcome to play it for as long as you like really, it's just never ever for sale in any way, it's just too nice in every way and too personal.

Where are you in the uk?

edited March 2018
     @darthed1981
    That pink Jackson is the 30th Anniversary USA model and when you could get one, (Maybe still can?) they were around £3k-ish (+/- £500-£750).......I think!

The point is I'd rather give Jon that amount and those pictures and say....
    "That guitar, plus these tweaks please."

I've been let down by Jackson before so when I do get an opportunity to get something in that price range, I'm sorry but a cup of tea and a chat about precisely how I want every square millimetre of the guitar, literally made to fit vs previous experience with Jackson as a company.

Tell you what Jackson,...."Do One!"

It's very tempting to ask for the headstock logo to read "Made properly in England"
  • Alnico said:

"Please remember before you pick it up that I'm keeping it no matter what and you'll probably spend years trying to find or build another one like it and thta's not my fault,.....ok?"

But you are welcome to play it for as long as you like really, it's just never ever for sale in any way, it's just too nice in every way and too personal.

Where are you in the uk?

Harrogate! I keep intending to come to one of the meet ups but ususlly too smashed for time at the moment as I'm forever gigging.

I would love a go on it if the opportunity arose in the future. Where abouts are you? I travel about a bit with bands.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've got three Felines - all 'off the shelf' so to speak.

Meaning I went and played them in Croydon and bought them from there, one has been changed to my spec (changed bridge and switch), the other two are as Jon designed and built them.

To give you some context I have:

Feline Panther - this is very much like the Jackson style, Schaller Floyd Rose, two Bare Knuckle pickups, single volume. But a really cool and flexible pickup switching system. My SuperStrat
    Feline Tabby - basically a thin line Tele design with Oil City Pickups (details here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/123551/ngd-x2-visited-feline-again/p1)
    Feline Korina V - details in the same thread above

All other guitars I own (with the exception of a never played USA Standard Strat from the 90s tucked away somewhere), are vintage guitars ranging from a 53 Les Paul converted to 59 Spec with PAF/PAT pickups to a 72 Les Paul Custom

The Felines sit very well in that company.

The Panther I've had the longest and will never sell, it's just everything you could want from that style guitar, sounds great, NEVER goes out of tune at all and is easy and flexible to play (can even impersonate things like a SG reasonably well at a pinch).

Tabby and Korina are recent purchases, but both are great - Tabby is basically a modern Tele sound, but maybe a bit rockier, V is just a wonderful classic 58 V copy, fat, versatile and gives you a smile every time you play it.

I would echo what others say on here, without hesitation if I were to be in your position - Feline, the support is amazing, as is the product - show Jon what you want, specify the tweaks and not only will you not be disappointed, the back-up from Jon is second to none.

I've also played a Black Machine made by Jon a fair bit, not my style of guitar - but good enough that it still tempted me!

Proof of the pudding is - the only 70% of my guitars are vintage, 30% are Feline!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Reading all this is making me shiver with antici...

... pation.

Supposed to be picking up my own Feline this weekend. Assuming the arctic blasts let up long enough and @DrCornelius  feels brave enough to hop into his low-slung, sporty coupé and get to the usual rendezvous.

If they’re half as good as you lot suggest, I think I’m in for a treat.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Alnico said:

"Please remember before you pick it up that I'm keeping it no matter what and you'll probably spend years trying to find or build another one like it and thta's not my fault,.....ok?"

Where are you in the uk?

Harrogate! I keep intending to come to one of the meet ups but ususlly too smashed for time at the moment as I'm forever gigging.

I would love a go on it if the opportunity arose in the future. Where abouts are you? I travel about a bit with bands.
    I'm in Bedford.
    If you're passing come and have a coffee and if you really like it i don't mind you taking it away for a dirty weekend, just bring it back alive that's all I ask.
    It's very important to me but it was built to be played.

It will be back with me again and playable after the end of March. 
    Jon has the neck at the moment for a minor repair on tuner mounting screw holes.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Back to @Panama_Jack666 's original question, I think I'd find it v difficult to spec an entire guitar from a boutique builder.  With so much choice out there, what if I didn't like it?  Or was forever wondering whether something could be 'better', or just different.

That said, @russianbear did build me this flesh pink JM to my own rough blueprint a couple of years ago.  The brief?  Pink, maple fretboard, no rhythm circuit (a naive error that I now regret), Gibson P90s.  Rather pleased with the result; I've now improved it some more by whacking a Mastery vibrato on it.

Otherwise, I've had a lot of fun on a steep learning curve modding some of my own 'vanilla' guitars to my own twisted, dark fantasy desires. 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

Where are you in the uk?

I'm in Bedford.
    If you're passing come and have a coffee and if you really like it i don't mind you taking it away for a dirty weekend, just bring it back alive that's all I ask.
    It's very important to me but it was built to be played.

It will be back with me again and playable after the end of March. 
    Jon has the neck at the moment for a minor repair on tuner mounting screw holes.
    That is an incredibly generous offer, @Alnico! I will bear you in mind next time I'm that way and I can accommodate it on a gig. Thank you!

JerkMoans said: Back to @Panama_Jack666 's original question, I think I'd find it v difficult to spec an entire guitar from a boutique builder.  With so much choice out there, what if I didn't like it?  Or was forever wondering whether something could be 'better', or just different.

This is precisely what I'm worried about! I'm fortunate that the builder is doing it for me for just the price of the materials so I won't lose too much money if I don't like it... But! There is an expectation it will be seen on gigs and in pictures and stuff so I want to make sure that it inspires me enough to want to use it as one of my "go to" guitars! 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Left handed Les Paul with a chrome Floyd Rose, flat on the body, jumbo frets, and a 60 neck... yes I think that would be the dream. Not sure about pickups. Couldn't care less about cosmetics.
  • Right now I fancy one of these.  If I was to design it myself the only difference would be I'd prefer a 22 fret neck for the neck pickup tones.  But since I rarely use those I'm not that bothered.

Basically, if given a wad of cash right now and sent off to order a custom guitar, I'd order a lighter Les Paul with slightly better ergonomics, a headstock that is less likely to break, and an evertune bridge.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited March 2018
    I've made 3 guitars for myself on Mark Bailey's Build Your Own Guitar Courses. The first one - an Archtop - was a considerable learning experience, and I essentially followed the Benedetto book, and only made a few personal choices in regard to the build. The other two - a homage to a '50's style Les Paul, and an OM Acoustic - were fully spec'ed by me prior to making them, and I even went as far as seeking out most of the wood myself. All of them turned out well.

I'm currently having a guitar built by Mark Bailey. I went up to my Design Session with him armed with a hand written 2 page spec, which covered most of the design and detail of the guitar. There were still a few details, that I hadn't considered, and we sorted these out whilst he did a full scale drawing.

It's an interesting exercise. You suddenly realise that you start with a completely blank sheet of paper. What I do is to first decide what style of guitar I want to make / have made. Take my second build - I wanted something in the ball park of a '50's Les Paul, though I knew there were a few details that I wanted to alter. I downloaded and printed off front and back photos of a Les Paul off the internet, and then drew lines to all the parts of it that needed spec'ing. I then wrote what I wanted each bit to be, and built up a more and more detailed spec.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I thought long and hard about this and realised there just isn't anything complicated enough about electric guitars to warrant designing one from scratch - I only need a couple of simple tweaks to an off the shelf guitar.

I suppose I could get someone to make exactly what I want from scratch but it would end up looking like every other 'boutique' guitar with a weird logo and a slightly wrong headstock, ie, like a £200 Samick.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Getting pink guitar GAS now .