I really hate sunburst

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    impmann said:
    Clearly two-tone sunburst is the only acceptable finish on ash body 50s style Strats....
    Except Mary Kaye or Black of course.
    It was a ‘comedy’ reference to my profile pic....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2954
    My second guitar was a sunburst Columbus Les Paul copy. Looking back, I can only guess I must've thought the traditional, boring-old-farty-ness of it would make me look like a proper guitarist... :)  But it put me off sunbursts (and LPs) for life... 
    My next guitar was a strong reaction to it. A lot less traditional looking; a black (no corned beef) Guild S-60. I've not looked back since. (Well, apart from a sunburst semi-acoustic I briefly owned in the 80s). I still have it, and here it is as a counterpoint to all the sunburst shots in this 'I hate sunburst' thread:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Kebabkid said:
    I dunno. My old 1989 PRS started off life as an 'ordinary sunburst' and it wasn't a 10 Top and it's developed into this, which I think is rather lovely and so do most people who see it

https://i.imgur.com/RLSHLMJ.jpg

@Kebabkid Is this an ex-guitar or something you still have? Would be interested to play it if so... I feel as though I've had my eyes at least slightly opened to PRSi recently, at least the older ones - I played a 1993 Custom 24 in Andertons which was great, compared to all the uninspiring modern ones I've played.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Sporky

"in" / "on"....it's usually the same thing.
    I'll pay attention to spell chaeckin future.
    ;)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2018
    Bucket said:
    Kebabkid said:
    I dunno. My old 1989 PRS started off life as an 'ordinary sunburst' and it wasn't a 10 Top and it's developed into this, which I think is rather lovely and so do most people who see it

https://i.imgur.com/RLSHLMJ.jpg

@Kebabkid Is this an ex-guitar or something you still have? Would be interested to play it if so... I feel as though I've had my eyes at least slightly opened to PRSi recently, at least the older ones - I played a 1993 Custom 24 in Andertons which was great, compared to all the uninspiring modern ones I've played.
    I'll pm you Connor but it's my old one that I sold to a mate and I have it back on loan.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    impmann said:
    Clearly two-tone sunburst is the only acceptable finish on ash body 50s style Strats....

However what I utterly utterly can’t stand is cherry Sunburst over flame maple. Especially on Les Pauls. 
    Clownburst.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m really enjoying all these sunburst pics. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    What about the Metallic Sunburst strat that Fender did about 7 years ago - can't remember the series/colour name
    that was the only sunburst I have liked
    There is a difference to a painted sunburst and a tinted Les Paul type natural burst (I like the latter )
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    edited March 2018
    I'm not huge on sunbursts either, really, but then...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Bigsby said:
    My second guitar was a sunburst Columbus Les Paul copy. Looking back, I can only guess I must've thought the traditional, boring-old-farty-ness of it would make me look like a proper guitarist... :)  But it put me off sunbursts (and LPs) for life... 
    My next guitar was a strong reaction to it. A lot less traditional looking; a black (no corned beef) Guild S-60. I've not looked back since. (Well, apart from a sunburst semi-acoustic I briefly owned in the 80s). I still have it, and here it is as a counterpoint to all the sunburst shots in this 'I hate sunburst' thread:

VERY cool guitar.

I missed out on a bass version a long time ago that was very cheap (needed minor headstock repair) that I’ve always kicked myself over.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I forgot about my Washburn EA30 which makes three sunburst guitars I have - but I don't really care for that red sunburst. 

photo P1000042_zps14ed5d4bjpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Rollin_HandRollin_Hand Frets: 4
    edited March 2018
    My Ibanez Talman here TM303 comes only in this burst colour, so I had no choice.
    An awsome guitar for the money an absolute bargain.

http://i68.tinypic.com/jqpa2v.jpg

Also when your buying second hand gear as I normally do you can't really choose the colour.
    My Baja Telecaster turned out to be black but I changed the pickguard to a 3 ply.

http://i65.tinypic.com/hsw56q.jpg

I probably wouldn't have chosen black from the shop but it's grown on me ;

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Clownburst and just boring black guitars....although some look amazing in black.