Pet hate Radio dj

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    edited March 2018
    I have 5 Live on pretty much all the hours I'm in the house and I don't really hate any of the presenters, although Danny Baker can wind me up a lot by spending most of his two-hour Saturday morning show ego-tripping rather than just getting the fuck on with it.

Nicky Campbell can grate too, I always get the feeling he regards the breakfast show as "his", even though he only co-presents and he's often absent anyway (presumably recording his horrible sugary Long Last Family TV show/weepathon).

I'm always amazed that Campbell never tires of debating subjects which have been absolutely done to death.  I've reached the point where I start yelling at the radio or TV every time I hear words like "Brexit" or "Niqab" but Nicky willingly selects them as the subect for Your Call, time after time after time.  I sometimes wonder if he has some kind of mental illness which makes him actively enjoy listening to arguments which Never.Fucking.Lead.Anywhere.

On a more positive note, I wish Tony Livesey still did the late night show or would get promoted to the breakfast show.  I think he's excellent and very funny, but I never get to hear him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    paulnb57 said:

And there used to be an odd dj on weekday mornings that I used to wake up with (!) from about 4-6 I liked him a lot, replace by Nessie...deep joy, proper strange....but I forget his name..

Not Alex Lester?
    @Nunogilberto Yes! Thanks, it's been bugging me all day........quirky as you like....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    AlexC said:
    I detest radio. Always have. For me it’s just music I haven’t chosen to listen to played by people I’m not interested in. Life’s too short.
    I love radio for exactly that reason - playing music I haven't chosen is much more likely to bring up something I haven't heard before. I'm not much of a fan of the people on it - I'd be very happy to have the DJs do nothing other than tell you what the music is, as briefly as possible - but that just seems to be part of the way radio is done for various reasons. I don't really like 'genre' music stations either for the same reason - too narrow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Philly_Q said:
    I have 5 Live on pretty much all the hours I'm in the house and I don't really hate any of the presenters, although Danny Baker can wind me up a lot by spending most of his two-hour Saturday morning show ego-tripping rather than just getting the fuck on with it.

Nicky Campbell can grate too, I always get the feeling he regards the breakfast show as "his", even though he only co-presents and he's often absent anyway (presumably recording his horrible sugary Long Last Family TV show/weepathon).

I'm always amazed that Campbell never tires of debating subjects which have been absolutely done to death.  I've reached the point where I start yelling at the radio or TV every time I hear words like "Brexit" or "Niqab" but Nicky willingly selects them as the subect for Your Call, time after time after time.  I sometimes wonder if he has some kind of mental illness which makes him actively enjoy listening to arguments which Never.Fucking.Lead.Anywhere.

On a more positive note, I wish Tony Livesey still did the late night show or would get promoted to the breakfast show.  I think he's excellent and very funny, but I never get to hear him.
    The arguments will never lead anywhere ....it's not a court of law with a verdict at the end
    The whole point is provocation of incendiary subjects.........and the "Outraged of Eastbourne " listener who is compelled to phone in.
    If the subject matter was the Marc d'appellation of French cheese and setting of market prices by French Dairy Co-ops for their domestic market you ,nor others, would tune -in .
    Their job is to light the fuse and stand back .
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    edited March 2018
    Dominic said:
    The arguments will never lead anywhere ....it's not a court of law with a verdict at the end
    The whole point is provocation of incendiary subjects.........and the "Outraged of Eastbourne " listener who is compelled to phone in.
    If the subject matter was the Marc d'appellation of French cheese and setting of market prices by French Dairy Co-ops for their domestic market you ,nor others, would tune -in .
    Their job is to light the fuse and stand back .
    I appreciate that.  What I can't understand is that neither the hosts nor the participants ever get sick of hearing and/or repeating the same bloody diametrically-opposed arguments.  They don't even listen to each other, just try to shout loudest.  It's completely pointless and astonishingly tedious.

Personally - in my childish naivety - I'd much prefer to listen to a discussion in which there's a remote possibility that some of the participants might partially change their minds or at least slightly respect the others' viewpoints.

Going back to Nicky Campbell, there was one particular day last week where it was going to be either Brexit or some other,  relatively minor, news story - I can't even remember what it was.  The latter might have produced an hour of never to be repeated but interesting anecdote and discussion... but nope, Nicky goes with Brexit again.  (Caller #1: "In 1974 we voted for a common market, not....blah blah blah.")

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    ICBM said:
    AlexC said:
    I detest radio. Always have. For me it’s just music I haven’t chosen to listen to played by people I’m not interested in. Life’s too short.
    I love radio for exactly that reason - playing music I haven't chosen is much more likely to bring up something I haven't heard before. I'm not much of a fan of the people on it - I'd be very happy to have the DJs do nothing other than tell you what the music is, as briefly as possible - but that just seems to be part of the way radio is done for various reasons. I don't really like 'genre' music stations either for the same reason - too narrow.
    Likewise, it's the only reason I listen to R1.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited March 2018
    Scott Mills. There is dumbing down and then there is Scott Mills - radio for complete idiots.

I had always put his stupidity and lack of knowledge down to being young, I thought he was in his low 20's. However just had a quick look on google and he is actually a bit older than me at 43!!!  So, that proves he really is just thick.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Dominic said:
    He was a nasty piece of work to the young Black girl who he had a bust-up with on the road .......got her put in prison ;a 22 year old kid........bet he felt a proper man after that
    I think she got herself put to prison - the video footage is pretty damming and she was on a suspended sentence at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12385
    edited March 2018
    Nicky Campbell is a dick. I was once asked to do an interview on his morning R5 show. I’d just been on a jury for a lengthy court case and they wanted an insight into how a jury worked when they were together for a long time, how the dynamics panned out, whether people formed cliques etc. I agreed on the proviso that a) I didn’t get named and b) they didn’t ask about the specifics of the case because at the time I wasn’t sure of how the contempt laws worked. 

The interview started. 
    Nicky Campbell: “So Mr Boogie Man, you’ve just served on a jury in the case of Messers X,Y and Z. “.

Arsehole.  p
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Foster said:
    Dominic said:
    He was a nasty piece of work to the young Black girl who he had a bust-up with on the road .......got her put in prison ;a 22 year old kid........bet he felt a proper man after that
    I think she got herself put to prison - the video footage is pretty damming and she was on a suspended sentence at the time.
    Didn't know she was on a suspended sentence............still, she only rowed with him and made silly gestures like all the kids do ;she didn't knock him off the bike or anything like that  .......if he hadn't made a big deal about it nothing would have happened............you see this kind of nonsense on the road every day in London 
     There's one person who won't be a fan of his show !
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Dominic said:
    Foster said:
    Dominic said:
    Didn't know she was on a suspended sentence............still, she only rowed with him and made silly gestures like all the kids do ;she didn't knock him off the bike or anything like that  .......if he hadn't made a big deal about it nothing would have happened............you see this kind of nonsense on the road every day in London 
     There's one person who won't be a fan of his show !
    Watch the video, it is interesting

She drives up close behind him, blaring her horn and shouting. He stops to explain why he's cycling in the road, she gets out, tries to push him and his bike so he's out of her way, eventually she gets back in the car, passes him, stops at traffic lights, gets out and starts giving him more verbal.

She was a prized pillock, I think he's a twat in general but there's no excusing her actions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't realise she touched him
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28485
    ICBM said:
    I love radio for exactly that reason - playing music I haven't chosen is much more likely to bring up something I haven't heard before.
    I like that idea in theory, but the chances of any radio station playing something I'd like seem slim.

Spotify Discover Weekly fits the bill better.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I've recenty got to the end of my tether with the Radio 4 Today presenters John Humphrys and Sarah Montague. Sanctimonious twats full of their own self important opinions and use guest interviews to showboat their arrogant “journalistic prowess” through intimidation and talking over people...”well that's all we have time for”.

True. But then I tried the other brekky show on Radio 5 and they're a bunch of chattering simpletons who fill airtime by reading out twits from the Great British Public, who are frequently... well, let's say if that's what real people are like I sometimes wish for that giant asteroid that was going to hit us.

I suppose there's just no point in anything.  Go back to morning keyboard practice instead I guess. :(

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Huey Morgan - absolute tool.

Guy Garvey, dull smug git.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5862
    As already stated by many: Steve Wright, Chris Evans and Jeremy Vine make me want to vomit blood. I have Absolute Radio on most of the day. I'm going to miss Christian and Richie on the Breakfast Show, although Christian O' Connell can be a bit overbearing at times. I'm not keen on the Dave Berry replacement for the Breakfast Show, I'd have preferred Jason Manford, but it ain't my shout  B)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    Oh no. Dave Berry at breakfast... That's finished my once a month time in to Absolute. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2018
    Scott Mills - Profoundly unfunny in every way, radio made by morons for morons.

Tommy Vance was my favourite DJ ever, I wish he were still doing his thing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    scrumhalf said:

Garry Richardson on 5Live's Sportweeek takes some beating. He will ask a question which gets a brush off, then ask the same question with precisely the same result:
    "Should you have dropped X for the last game?" "I'm sorry, Garry but I don't discuss team selection."
    "Okay. When you picked your team, why did you include X?" "I've already answered that."
    "Right. Are there any players whose selection was a problem for you?" Silence.
    Agree completely.  Seems to think he's up there in the pantheon of great interviewers whereas he's just a whiny irritating moron.  There are plenty of abysmal sports programmes on Radio and TV but imo Sportsweek is the worst because of him and it's not even close. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Dermot O'Sychophant.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom