My 335 is now equipped with.....

What's Hot
skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
a set of Monty's PAF's and russian caps.

I had been reading about different PAF clones and decided that although the Gibson MHS pick ups in my 63 re issue 335 were good I liked the idea of changing a couple of things to further improve an already great guitar and really make it my own. After reading and listening to a couple of reviews I decided to go with the Monty's.
I contacted Matt Gleason and initially was going to buy them and get a local luthier to fit them but after some email conversation with Matt I discovered that he would fit them for me as he does luthier work in his workshop as well as making pick ups. He also suggested that he fit some russian caps he had acquired to improve the tone controls on my guitar.
So I drove over to his workshop and he did the work while I waited. I have to say that Matt, and Tim who works with him are great guys...very good at their jobs and it was a pleasure to sit in the workshop and chat about music,guitars and tattoos with them.
I had rehearsal with the band that night so had the opportunity to give the guitar a proper blast with the new pick ups and they did not dissappoint. Although I will be honest and say there is not a night and day difference...they do have a bit more clarity to them and they have opened the guitar up a bit too so I'm extremely happy that I had them fitted. Our keyboard player noticed that I was cutting through better and I hadn't mentioned to any of the band that I'd had anything changed so the difference was noticeable.
All in all I'm happy I had the upgrade done and I can't recommend Matt and Tim enough...although it's an hour and a half drive from me I will be using them for any other tech work I need doing from now on..until of course they are too busy with the pick up side of things.
  • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    Are you selling the MHS pick ups, you removed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
    veldt666 said:
    Are you selling the MHS pick ups, you removed?
    I never actually considered it... I wouldn't even know how much they would sell for..?
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

??
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Monty Python caps...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Monty Python caps...
    ok...I didn't know monty python was russian..?... :)  and that opens up a whole other debate..!
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    My baseball cap has "rounders" on it, does that count?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I don't have any doubt that nicer pickups improve the tone, but it's a shame he believes in the tone cap bullshit.

They won't have done any harm, but they haven't changed anything either - that's all down to the pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I don't have any doubt that nicer pickups improve the tone, but it's a shame he believes in the tone cap bullshit.

They won't have done any harm, but they haven't changed anything either - that's all down to the pickups.

As long as they haven't done any harm then I'm good with it....the pick ups have improved the tone of the guitar without doubt :)

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Always worth checking the pots on a 335 I think. My '82 335 was wired with 300k pots, and I had it rewired with 500k. Really opened up (kept the original shaw pickups though!). A great 335 can do it all!
    svejk said:
    Always worth checking the pots on a 335 I think. My '82 335 was wired with 300k pots, and I had it rewired with 500k. Really opened up (kept the original shaw pickups though!). A great 335 can do it all!
    agreed... I'm not sure the pots and caps don't make a difference so took Matt's advice on changing them...he seems a very knowledgeable chap who's opinion I value...and yes a 335 certainly seems to cover all bases.  :)
    skaguitar said:

I'm not sure the pots and caps don't make a difference so took Matt's advice on changing them...
    Pots do, caps don't. Although if you're changing the pots, it can be easier to use new caps anyway. Just don't believe the nonsense about types and brands, or pay too much for them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    @ICBM I disagree. I went for tiny real bumblebees. You can really tell the difference. And pots cast from frozen tiger tears. If you can't hear the difference, then I guess you are not a real musician.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    skaguitar said:

I'm not sure the pots and caps don't make a difference so took Matt's advice on changing them...
    Pots do, caps don't. Although if you're changing the pots, it can be easier to use new caps anyway. Just don't believe the nonsense about types and brands, or pay too much for them.
    Ok I'll take your advice on that... also...will changing the grill cloth on my VOX practice amp make it sound better..?.. ;)
    skaguitar said:

Ok I'll take your advice on that... also...will changing the grill cloth on my VOX practice amp make it sound better..?.. ;)
    Well...

No :).

But it does look much nicer!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    skaguitar said:

Well...

No :).

But it does look much nicer!
    I think it looks like it sounds better. :)
    Exactly!

I then made it sound even better by changing the corner protectors to proper Vox ones.

I just need to find a smaller version of the Vox gold strip for the top of the grille and then it will sound amazing :).

ICBM said:
    Exactly!

I then made it sound even better by changing the corner protectors to proper Vox ones.

I just need to find a smaller version of the Vox gold strip for the top of the grille and then it will sound amazing :).
    That will be the ultimate upgrade... :)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    Lovely stuff. I just got my Les Paul 2014 Standard back after Jon Dickinson ripped out all the PCB stuff and installed OX4 Low wind PAFs in it with 50s wiring. Like a fabulous brand new instrument. 

Congrats on your 335. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    Lovely stuff. I just got my Les Paul 2014 Standard back after Jon Dickinson ripped out all the PCB stuff and installed OX4 Low wind PAFs in it with 50s wiring. Like a fabulous brand new instrument. 

Congrats on your 335. 
    Cheers.... I've heard great things about the OX4's too....good choice.. :)