My 335 is now equipped with.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I can't remember, did you change the tuners on your 335 in the end?

If so, how easy was it to remove the bushings that the original tuners run through?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
    Chris_J said:
    I can't remember, did you change the tuners on your 335 in the end?

If so, how easy was it to remove the bushings that the original tuners run through?
    @Chris_J ; yes I did have the tuners changed but I didn't do the work as it involved a bit of reaming out for the grovers to fit. So I can't say if the bushings were easy to get out but the guy who did it didn't mention any difficulties.
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    @skaguitar - be interested in your views on the mid pickup position sound with the Monty’s in a 335 - how does it work for you?
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
    SunDevil said:
    @skaguitar - be interested in your views on the mid pickup position sound with the Monty’s in a 335 - how does it work for you?
    @SunDevil ;  I mostly play on the neck position tbh but I have of course tried the middle position and it sounds good... I rolled the tone off on the bridge pick up to around 6 and had the volume on that at around 9 then the neck pick up tone on 10 and volume on 8 and was getting a really nice funky sounding middle position.These pick ups sound a bit brighter than the gibson mhs ones that were in it but that may be because they are clearer and I can now hear each individual string ringing...that clarity thing people go on about. I don't like using cliched quotes and words to describe pick ups and guitars but the 'tele on steroids' quote often used applies here, but I also have the open sound of a semi hollow guitar with it too. If you're cosidering a set I would say it's a no brainer if you have a 335 or that type of guitar.
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited March 2018
    I've been playing my les paul with montys in today and the mid position is great imo.

the original BBs in it were so muddy and veiled in comparison to the new pickups
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    skaguitar said:
    ICBM said:
    Exactly!

I then made it sound even better by changing the corner protectors to proper Vox ones.

I just need to find a smaller version of the Vox gold strip for the top of the grille and then it will sound amazing :).
    That will be the ultimate upgrade... :)
    The ultimate up grade - these things sound awful...

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/public/assets/news_articles/2012/03/1332405723_skip.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    SunDevil said:
    @SunDevil ;  I mostly play on the neck position tbh but I have of course tried the middle position and it sounds good... I rolled the tone off on the bridge pick up to around 6 and had the volume on that at around 9 then the neck pick up tone on 10 and volume on 8 and was getting a really nice funky sounding middle position.These pick ups sound a bit brighter than the gibson mhs ones that were in it but that may be because they are clearer and I can now hear each individual string ringing...that clarity thing people go on about. I don't like using cliched quotes and words to describe pick ups and guitars but the 'tele on steroids' quote often used applies here, but I also have the open sound of a semi hollow guitar with it too. If you're cosidering a set I would say it's a no brainer if you have a 335 or that type of guitar.
    Glad they are working for you @skaguitar  - I had a set in a 335 going back a few years. Every guitar / pup combination will be different, but for me the middle position didn't work, no matter how much tweaking of pickup and pole piece heights. They did sound very nice individually though.
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)