What pickups?

What's Hot
SteveF1SteveF1 Frets: 0
Hi all. Looking for some recommendations please. I have an Epi 94 Les Paul and I'm looking to upgrade the pickups. Used to play The Who, The Jam, OCS, Oasis and Stereophonics etc. All suggestions welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Nothing wrong with a set of Seymour Duncan's
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Contact Oil City, Mojo or Alegree. Any of them could provide exactly what you're after. 

On the budget end of the spectrum IronGear and ToneRider are worth investigation- I've fitted Iron Gear Dirty Torque and Blues Engine to my partscaster & they're giving me great modern rock tones. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    edited March 2018
    Once you’ve done a bit of research and decided what you want, pm me if you want a second hand set of Seymour Duncan 59s with nickel covers.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27589
    Do you have a budget in mind?

You could spend £70 on IronGear, or £200 on many other options, or more ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SteveF1SteveF1 Frets: 0
    No not really
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Contact Oil City, Mojo or Alegree. Any of them could provide exactly what you're after. 

I'll second this.

Talk it through with any of these chaps and you will not regret it.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4102
    I fitted seymour duncan alnico pro IIs in my epi les paul 1995 and they are a perfect match.   Great tones.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2327
    Irongear or if you want uber cheap then vanson pickups are great sounding for buffet all money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I recently got a pair of Bare Knuckle Mules and they are fantastic. I could confidently buy another set of pickups from Bare Knuckle and would expect to receive great pickups.

Certainly not suggesting they're better than any of the names mentioned here (in fact, if I was buying another set - and I hope I don't but probably will at some point) I'd probably try out Oil City or Alegree. But from my own experience, Bare Knuckle Mules are the best humbuckers I've personally played.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The best will be mojo. Just saying
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    The best will be mojo. Just saying

I've just put a set in my Midtown, they are very nice. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Marc at Mojo makes superb pickups. 

Entwistle are incredible value. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31600
    SteveF1 said:
    Hi all. Looking for some recommendations please. I have an Epi 94 Les Paul and I'm looking to upgrade the pickups. Used to play The Who, The Jam, OCS, Oasis and Stereophonics etc. All suggestions welcome.
    With that list of music I'd bung a pair of humbucker sized P90s in it. 

They're all vintage tones with a fair bit of character, and unless you have fantastic amps most humbuckers will be too bland for that stuff. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    If you are on a budget - Vanson PAFs. Less than £30 a pair IIRC and a step up from the Epi pickups.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    I can recommend Oil City Forces Sweethearts - should suit the vintage vibe your influences suggest.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10484
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    If you are on a budget - Vanson PAFs. Less than £30 a pair IIRC and a step up from the Epi pickups.
    If you are strapped in the cash department I can heartily recommend Vanson, though of course it'd be lovely for you to buy from myself or Mark at Mojo ... but not everyone can throw shed loads of cash at their guitars. Vanson are at least a good as Irongear ... and you heard that from a pickup winder.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveF1SteveF1 Frets: 0
    p90fool said:
    SteveF1 said:

They're all vintage tones with a fair bit of character, and unless you have fantastic amps most humbuckers will be too bland for that stuff. 
    I have a Peavey Classic 50 amp
    SteveF1 said:
    p90fool said:
    SteveF1 said:

I have a Peavey Classic 50 amp
    Then P90s will sound great for that stuff IMO. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    p90fool said:
    p90fool recommends P90s. Quelle surprise! :)

For maximum versatility, I suggest either Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups via Triple Shot mounting surrounds or Fishman Fluence Classic humbuckers. 

Have a butcher's hook in the Parts £ section. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    p90fool said:
    p90fool recommends P90s. Quelle surprise! :)

Haha I'm aware of that, and don't usually, but that list of artists is begging for some fat single coils. 

Smooth, compressed humbuckers are actually a barrier to most of that stuff IMO.