Split from the GuitarTheft thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    Fretwired said:
    TTony said:

Dominic said:
    and I feel so humbled by having dared to suggest that the woman looked Roma ..........seems to have upset one chap
    Oh ,look it's snowing today

He asked me to  review that post for casual racism.

There is nothing racist in that quote.  
    Going out on a limb and probably heading to a cooler near shefguitar I'd say it is casual racism. I work for a number of public sector agencies who would class that as casual racism.  Why? A woman who stole a guitar was described as being Roma - why not just Eastern European or Spanish or Italian or Indian (the Romani people are from northern India)? There was a theft so Roma was the first thing that came to mind - the shop had been 'gypped' ..

Look how the police describe the woman .. 
    Not headed to a cooler near anyone unless you start trying to pick an unreasonable argument with anyone (or everyone).

My comments are not whether a public sector agency - or anyone else - would define a phrase as casual racism.  I was asked whether I viewed it as such, and I don't.

There was a theft so Roma was the first thing that came to mind - the shop had been 'gypped' .. 

That wasn't my reading of the statement, ie it wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.     I didn't read "Roma", and associate that description with having being "gypped" (which I understand is a popular term for having been the subject of unwelcome attention from members of a particular community).  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    Could people stop being offended on behalf of other people please, and also stop reading posts and looking for implications that were never there.
    Well said Sir!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:
    But no one cares, they're fucking scumbag thieves who walked into a shop and out with an £11k guitar. 
    They wanted taking round the back, beating with a 3x2 with nails in and throwing in a fucking skip
    Yeah, but that's not true is it?
    Well i guess your probably right, a few offended at everything types (Racist?) and that's racist finger pointers are.
    They still need a beating and throwing in a skip however the woman was described, racist to some and not to others.
    As I edited above - And my guess is if you managed to apprehend them you wouldn't do want you suggest here, you would phone the police and obey the rule of law. Wise move.

If you are suggesting that I am offended by anything that has been posted then you are wrong.
    If they'd nicked an £11K guitar of mine i'd make damn sure the police were picking them up in an ambulance. Can't lift any more geetars with broken fingers!!
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382

mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:
    But no one cares, they're fucking scumbag thieves who walked into a shop and out with an £11k guitar. 
    They wanted taking round the back, beating with a 3x2 with nails in and throwing in a fucking skip
    Yeah, but that's not true is it?
    Well i guess your probably right, a few offended at everything types (Racist?) and that's racist finger pointers are.
    They still need a beating and throwing in a skip however the woman was described, racist to some and not to others.
    As I edited above - And my guess is if you managed to apprehend them you wouldn't do want you suggest here, you would phone the police and obey the rule of law. Wise move.

If you are suggesting that I am offended by anything that has been posted then you are wrong.
    If they'd nicked an £11K guitar of mine i'd make damn sure the police were picking them up in an ambulance. Can't lift any more geetars with broken fingers!!
    Come on, we all know you'd hand them over to the police unscathed and then calm yourself down with a nice sugary tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    mikem8634 said:
    underdog said:
    Could people stop being offended on behalf of other people please, and also stop reading posts and looking for implications that were never said.
    If that is, at least in part, directed at me, does it make any difference at all that I keep telling people that I'm not offended? I know what offended feels like, and this isn't it.
    Well, in that case...just like the choice of teens to not wear a hoodie, you could always choose to stop banging on about it in an effort to be Right On The Internet.
    I am right everywhere!!!!!! It takes no effort.

In all seriousness though, silence rarely solves anything and discussion can shed light. You really don't have to wander into places you don't want to be to tell people you don't want to talk to to stop having conversations that you don't want to have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26665
    mikem8634 said:

You really don't have to wander into places you don't want to be to tell people you don't want to talk to to stop having conversations that you don't want to have.
    That pretty much describes my entire function here.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mikem8634 said:

You really don't have to wander into places you don't want to be to tell people you don't want to talk to to stop having conversations that you don't want to have.
    See, told you I was right everywhere
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

Quite the opposite. I do have to wander into places I don't want to be to tell people I don't want to talk to etc etc.
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2018
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

Quite the opposite. I do have to wander into places I don't want to be to tell people I don't want to talk to etc etc.
    Not at all, compulsion can be addressed. Maybe we should talk it through. You could always choose not to.
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

Not at all, compulsion can be addressed. Maybe we should talk it through. You could always choose not to.
    Actually, I can't. I'm one of the owners of this place, so dealing with people breaking the rules - and therefore reading their idiotic twaddle - is part and parcel of the job.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

Actually, I can't. I'm one of the owners of this place, so dealing with people breaking the rules - and therefore reading their idiotic twaddle - is part and parcel of the job.
    Aaah, but now you're shifting the goalposts aren't you? You may have to read but you don't have to comment if there has been no rule break. So you do have the choice.

Well, in that case...just like the choice of teens to not wear a hoodie, you could always choose to stop banging on about it in an effort to be Right On The Internet.
    Trying to hide that behind forum owner duty is a bit weak.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Why don't shops do something to prevent theft of expensive kit like guitars? Something like fitting a device inside the control plate or under the truss rod cover - when the guitar passes sensors, the alarm goes off. The device is easily removed after a purchase is made. Seems simple enough........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    Rocker said:
    Why don't shops do something to prevent theft of expensive kit like guitars? Something like fitting a device inside the control plate or under the truss rod cover - when the guitar passes sensors, the alarm goes off. The device is easily removed after a purchase is made. Seems simple enough........
    Careful! That's on topic. I think using rfid was mentioned in one of these threads. As an alternative maybe someone could invent a lock that inserts into the jack socket that can only be removed with a key. It could have RFID or a GPS tracker and most importantly a jack socket in it to allow the guitar to be played through the lock so it wouldn't need to be removed to allow customers to play the guitar.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

Aaah, but now you're shifting the goalposts aren't you? You may have to read but you don't have to comment if there has been no rule break. So you do have the choice.

Trying to hide that behind forum owner duty is a bit weak.
    Crikey! Are you taking tablets? If not, you maybe should be!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018

Budgie said:

Crikey! Are you taking tablets? If not, you maybe should be!
    You don't think this digitalscream diversion is serious do you? I thought that was obvious.

I mean, you did see the bit where I asked him if he wanted to talk his compulsion through, right? And the bit where I said I was right everywhere? Twice?

Maybe it needed a few smilies. =)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Sesh said:
    Rocker said:
    Careful! That's on topic. I think using rfid was mentioned in one of these threads. As an alternative maybe someone could invent a (1)lock that inserts into the jack socket that can only be removed with a key. It could have RFID or a GPS tracker and most importantly a (2) jack socket in it to allow the guitar to be played through the lock so it wouldn't need to be removed to allow customers to play the guitar.

@Sesh (1) exists. 

(2)  But the TOANSUCK! :scream: Ermahagerd!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    DLM said:
    Sesh said:
    Rocker said:
    Careful! That's on topic. I think using rfid was mentioned in one of these threads. As an alternative maybe someone could invent a (1)lock that inserts into the jack socket that can only be removed with a key. It could have RFID or a GPS tracker and most importantly a (2) jack socket in it to allow the guitar to be played through the lock so it wouldn't need to be removed to allow customers to play the guitar.

@Sesh (1) exists. 

(2)  But the TOANSUCK! :scream: Ermahagerd!

Just because something already exists doesn't mean it shouldn't be invented. If it had a built-in amp for headphones that would be cool. No more being crowned out by someone else's widdling. Could also deliver an electric shock if stairway is played.

And thanks. I'm now fighting to stop myself falling down an ermagerd meme-hole. Again.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.