Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Yes, it's a fake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    Jack_ said:
    Yes, it's a fake.
    Really? i was more concerned by the finish defect at the top of the neck, i.e. a possible neck break repair
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    Yeah, complete fake. Avoid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited March 2018
    I'm fairly sure it's fake, the headstock just looks all wrong, the Gibson logo is really low, the texture of the finish doesn't look right, the truss rod cover looks like it's come from an Epiphone. I don't remember Gibson ever selling full fat Les Paul's with a soft case. Tuners have no branding. Sticker on the cavity cover looks like something you usually see on fakes.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Yes.

Metric bridge/tailpiece, Asian humbuckers and mounting surrounds, Asian control knobs, fret ends over binding rather than nibs, naff inlay material, truss rod cover looks like shaved Epiphone type, cheap Asian Kluson replicas, blah, blah.

The guitar is Korean but not necessarily an Epiphone.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it’s good enough for you it’s good enough for me!
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader
    so much wrong with that auction, obviously a fake... what is the deal with "I will only pay £3 ebay fees" he is having a laugh I think
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    yeah i've just noticed the tuners are cheap copies and the slotted bridge screws. had me fooled for a min!
    cheers
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1826
    Have you read the description? It's brilliant. 

I sold this. They took it to a guitar shop and sent it back to me. I'm selling it again with no refund. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    what is the deal with "I will only pay £3 ebay fees"
    Interpretation #1 - The vendor is exploiting one of those eBay capped seller fees promotions.
    Interpretation #2 - The vendor has no intention of paying any more than £3 towards the fees and expects the buyer to cough up the remainder. 

Last time I bothered to check, openly passing on the seller fees was against eBay rules. Vendors have to do it sneakily. Traditional methods include hiking up the postage charge.
    He's (she's?) either very clever or very stupid, i'm erring on the latter for the time being
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5431
    Jack_ said:
    I don't remember Gibson ever selling full fat Les Paul's with a soft case.

Studio's used to come with a gig bag (well, unless Coda were lying bastards back in the 90s, which is possible as I was a little taken aback at the till when that happened); as far as I know Standards have always come with a hard case though.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    I'm not a real expert on these things but the bridge posts don't look right, and the truss rod cover looks wrong as well.  I'm sure that there are other things that the more knowledgable will come up with.
  • BodBod Frets: 1332
    I have no comment to make on the authenticity of the item, but I would never deal with someone that comes across as such an obvious arse in their listings.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake
    edited March 2018
    He's (she's?) either very clever or very stupid, i'm erring on the latter for the time being
    Allow me to play devil's advocate. I suggest that the vendor knows exactly what he or she is up to.

Notice how the photographs are all poorly lit - most especially the one of the rear of the headstock. This conveniently disguises any modifications to the headstock outline. e.g. Restoring the corners that Epiphone leave off. 

The auction title has all of the right keywords to attract search engines and gullible buyers. The item description does not actually claim that the guitar is a Gibson. In the mind of the vendor, no fraud is occurring. 

A truly honest vendor would have written the actual words, "THIS IS NOT A GIBSON" somewhere in the item description. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I'd tend to avoid buying any guitar that's got heavy rubbing to the neck from having the bar code played
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4665
    edited March 2018
    I struggle with playing bar codes, too.  Some of the stretches are huge.

Edit: beat me to it, @nickb_boy !
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I believe the White Stripes used bar codes a lot :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    It's got to be real? There's a fancypants sticker on the back saying "original Gibson equipment"  - They don't just stick that on anything you know!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom