Dodgy?

What's Hot

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Snags said:
    Jack_ said:
    I don't remember Gibson ever selling full fat Les Paul's with a soft case.

Studio's used to come with a gig bag (well, unless Coda were lying bastards back in the 90s, which is possible as I was a little taken aback at the till when that happened); as far as I know Standards have always come with a hard case though.
    I don't consider a Studio a full fat LP; if it doesn't have binding it ain't full fat.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    If something looks to good to be true....that headstock and the dodgy Gibson sticker were the clues for me. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72678
    Total fake. Bridge, headstock shape, truss rod cover, nut, tailpiece stud, switch, jack plate, pickups and pickup screws, no binding nibs, strap buttons - all typical Chinese. Unlikely to be an Epiphone conversion, it's exactly like a normal Chibson.

Studios did (probably still do) come in gig bags, which is one reason you see so many broken ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    ICBM said:
    Total fake. Bridge, headstock shape, truss rod cover, nut, tailpiece stud, switch, jack plate, pickups and pickup screws, no binding nibs, strap buttons - all typical Chinese. Unlikely to be an Epiphone conversion, it's exactly like a normal Chibson.
    Basically everything then...
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Doesn't mention the word Gibson anywhere in the ad, so not trying hard to pass it off as fake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • when ya know what to look for it seems obvious.. i didn't btw..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    He's (she's?) either very clever or very stupid, i'm erring on the latter for the time being
    The auction title has all of the right keywords to attract search engines and gullible buyers. The item description does not actually claim that the guitar is a Gibson. In the mind of the vendor, no fraud is occurring. 

THIS^^

the seller isnt claiming its a Gibson and to be honest its sooo obvious its not one - as its so wrong on every level.

• amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    when ya know what to look for it seems obvious.. i didn't btw..
    i didnt for a while!
    edited March 2018
    He's (she's?) either very clever or very stupid, i'm erring on the latter for the time being
    The auction title has all of the right keywords to attract search engines and gullible buyers. The item description does not actually claim that the guitar is a Gibson. In the mind of the vendor, no fraud is occurring. 
    THIS^^

the seller isnt claiming its a Gibson and to be honest its sooo obvious its not one - as its so wrong on every level.
    It makes no difference - it's still illegal to sell it because it has a Gibson logo. Les Paul is also a trademarked term, I'm fairly sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    i just enquired (in a very nice way) about the authenticity of this and got a reply calling me a 'clever c.unt!' haha, someones hackles are up
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    £50 for a used cheap Chinese LP copy would be about right IMO.
    £70 on swapping the tuners, pickups, pots & harness, set the action & intonation & it would probably be a reasonable player assuming the frets & neck are OK.
    I just did exactly that to a cheap Chinese copy I bought & it now sounds great & plays OK.

http://2018-03-22%2015.15.49.jpg/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    Reported as counterfeit, because the seller is an obnoxious criminal twat.
    nice one, alas ebay will do absolutely nothing about it / him :dissapointed: 
    You'd be surprised. They seem not to, but I suspect that's if they just get one report. If they get several, they'll look into it.

Just occasionally, the 'Ebay police' get it wrong and report legitimate guitars - I was once trying to bid on a really messed-up but definitely genuine 70s Les Paul Deluxe. Clearly some people couldn't tell this and were reporting it, because the auction was pulled about three times and eventually the seller relisted it without the headstock visible. By then it had attracted enough interest that it went for more than I really wanted to pay...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    i really hope that is the case, get reporting guys!! i really dont want some poor bugger getting fleeced with an overpriced chibson rather than the £100 its really worth.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Just reported it.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Seller has broken the law. Item must therefore be destroyed. Send in the Daleks. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Reported.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I told ebay that the seller, as well as selling illegal counterfeit goods is also trying to avoid paying their fees...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy, pay for it, get it delivered, take it to a guitar shop and get a letter that says counterfeit, send it to eBay and they'll refund your fees. The guitar shop will destroy it.

Guy gets no cash and lesson by losing his guitar.... 

I've it with gold clubs. Not on purpose mind!!