Stratocaster Volume knob - what is the best way to take it off safely?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
edited March 2018 in Guitar
I want to take off the volume knob of my 1969 Strat to add a small foam 'donut' to stop it turning so easily (my hand sometimes nudges it and the volume drops as a result) but it's very tight and I don't want to force it or risk breaking anything.  What's the best way to take it off ...or do I need a special tool?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2018
    Gently deploy two teaspoons as levers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    Get a thin cleaning cloth and try and slide it under and twist it around the whole knob and then pull. If there is no gap then you need to get something firm but very thin to lever it until there is enough gap for the cloth to slide in. I have used the end of a very small electricians flat head screwdriver before but this carries the risk of gouging your pickguard if you're not careful. The blunt side of a fine, think kitchen knife can woek as well...just be careful, take your time.

this use dto drive me potty on USA Std Strats when trying to remove all the plastic covering from the pickguard, it would often tear when peeling off and leave some under the knobs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • An wooden peg works. Break off the legs and slide them under the knob from both side with the flat side down. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I use the flat screwdriver blade of a Swiss Army knife - it’s thin, wide and doesn’t have sharp edges. Go very gently and keep turning the knob round so you lift it up slowly, if it doesn’t come loose straight away.

I must have done thousands with it, and never broken one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    Tie some string to the volume knob and a door handle, and throw the guitar out of the window. 
    :)
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited March 2018
    Thanks guys. I'll try some of these suggestions.

But probably not initially that preferred by @p90fool as I suspect that would fall within the statutory controls and protections of the RSPCVFS (the Royal Society For The Protection of Cruelty to Vintage Fender Stratocasters) As such I have had to search my conscience and sadly have had to whistle blow and report him accordingly. I understand that the boys from the RSPCVFS will be calling round to him to undertake remedial action and demonstrating the impact of such cruelty by a practical demonstration modelled on his kind suggestion...but with the very slight variance of swapping him for the guitar!  3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    I live in the country so we use baler twine, works a treat :)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    Strat54 said:
    My preferred approach is my Father's:
    1. Hit it with a hammer.

If that doesn't work...

2. Hit it with a bigger hammer.
    Only if it breaks would we need baler twine to tie it back together.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    p90fool said:
    Tie some string to the volume knob and a door handle, and throw the guitar out of the window. 
    What if he lives in a bungalow?
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    p90fool said:
    What if he lives in a bungalow?
    Shorter string.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited March 2018
    For a precious vintage guitar I would dab some blue decorators tape on your clothes to make it even less gluey, mask off the surrounding area of scratchplate, then gently lever off with chosen tool. String or twine works well but I do worry about uneven leverage - probably overthinking that mind you.

Look at this crazy contraption.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28745
    Plectrum under each side and gently lever up  
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That's very good, but complete overkill!

It also doesn't look like it will work in the most awkward cases, where the knob is so close to flush with the pickguard that you can't get a tool under it easily. For those I use the large knife blade on the Swiss Army knife until there's enough clearance to get the screwdriver blade under.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

That's very good, but complete overkill!

It also doesn't look like it will work in the most awkward cases, where the knob is so close to flush with the pickguard that you can't get a tool under it easily. For those I use the large knife blade on the Swiss Army knife until there's enough clearance to get the screwdriver blade under.
    It's gloriously potty.

i used my SAK in the manner you described just yesterday. Every good boy scout should own one.  :)
    With that 'puller' I would also worry about damaging the pot if the knob didn't come off easily enough - you could easily put enough force on to pull the shaft straight out of the bushing without realising it.

That happened on my first Les Paul, an old 70s Deluxe. I got the knob off eventually with a lot of difficulty, but the shaft came with it because the knob had obviously been loose and a different knob had Araldited it on...

I did manage to fix it by heating the shaft to free it from the glue, then disassembling the pot and fitting it back.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    I use 2 opposing teaspoons and use their fulcrum effect to ease both sides up equally 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Strat54 said:
    My preferred approach is my Father's:
    1. Hit it with a hammer.

If that doesn't work...

2. Hit it with a bigger hammer.
    Only if it breaks would we need baler twine to tie it back together.
    Is your dad from yorkshire?  Sounds a lot like the age old craftsman skills handed to me by my father...

• Wow...guaranteed to keep you safe from Knobichok virus though!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom