volume pot hum?

What's Hot
slash1953slash1953 Frets: 38
Hi,
ive a problem with my guitar(s) re volume pot? When its at zero the amp is quiet but as you get to about midway a hum builds up and drops of as it the pot is turned full on?
Ive fitted new pots etc etc but still its there.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like your guitar is picking up something in the room and amplifying it

Does it reduce if you move /angle away from the amp
    have you tried the amp/guitar in another room?
    Plugged the amp straight into the wall, no extension leads
    tried the setup with no effects boards and no effects power adapters plugged into the same line as the amp
    turn off the lights/computer etc

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72670
    What type of guitar?

It's fairly normal, although it does vary depending on how well shielded the jack and control cavity are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    I get this on my Strat, but I've only ever noticed it at home, never been a problem on a gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slash1953slash1953 Frets: 38

tried the setup with no effects boards and no effects power adapters plugged into the same line as the amp

its a les paul and the hum is really loud onstage.Im going to try again tomorrow when house is empty and crank it and see what it does?
    Ill be back with result?
    slash1953 said:

its a les paul and the hum is really loud onstage
    Sounds like the shield connection to the cable that runs up to the switch might have broken, so that 2-3 feet of wire is now unshielded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    slash1953 said:

its a les paul and the hum is really loud onstage.Im going to try again tomorrow when house is empty and crank it and see what it does?
    Ill be back with result?
    I have pulled a few of my amps apart trying to track down hum that reacted just the same, only to realize days later that it was a bad extension cable, bad guitar cable or bad pedal power supply. point being eliminate everything external first.
    Trying the guitar with another amp would help too if you can.
    update: my board is hard wired,I plug into  wha, ts  808,tuner and out to the amp. the hum stops when I plug directly into the last pedal in the train (tuner).It seems as if its the last 3" of cable from the tuner to the jack socket causing it? Im kinda thinking that the power wires coming from the Gigrig distributer may have something to do with it as they pass over the lead and the are unshielded? It does sound like a DC hum? Im thinking of ditching the distributer and going to daisy chain? Wasting my money?
    Sounds like the patch cable in front of the tuner might be faulty. If not then it could be another ground connection on the board between the input of the tuner and the input of the TS, if plugging into the TS still hums.

There is no such thing as a 'DC hum' - by definition DC does not cause hum because it's 0Hz. You don't need to separate DC and signal cables for that reason - assuming the power supply is decent quality and isn't actually leaving a ripple on the DC.

Its not the cable its the tuner!!!
    slash1953 said:
    What type of tuner? If it's a Boss, check that the jack nuts are tight. They can work loose and sometimes make a poor ground connection. You can tighten them without taking the pedal apart - they're a square box inside and can't turn round.

ICBM said:
    slash1953 said:
    What type of tuner? If it's a Boss, check that the jack nuts are tight. They can work loose and sometimes make a poor ground connection. You can tighten them without taking the pedal apart - they're a square box inside and can't turn round.
    its a polytune,im borrowing another to try....
    slash1953 said:

Also try it at the start of the chain instead, if plugging into it directly doesn't hum. It's true bypass so it won't affect the wah.

ICBM said:
    slash1953 said:

Also try it at the start of the chain instead, if plugging into it directly doesn't hum. It's true bypass so it won't affect the wah.
    yeh,its hums being plugged directly.
    Check each patch cable for earth continuity. Then check each pedal on its own in turn; then each pair of pedals. Process of elimination.
    well,it looks like Ive cracked it? It must have been the unshielded jack last in the chain? Ive replaced with a barrell type jack and the hum has gone. Theres always been a slight buzz,nothing big but was just wondering if I should change the power plant for an isolated one? Thanks al,for your suggestions,its appreciated.
    Some pedals (eg Line 6) are well known for not playing nicely with other pedals on the same DC supply. If your current power supply isn't giving you problems then there is no real reason to change to an isolated one.