SORTED - Versatile 80s rock overdrive pedal (single)

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited January 2019 in FX
I just wondered what people's recommendations are for the above and I'm looking for the more smoother side of things rather than the aggressive, and not 'metal gain'?

I currently stack a  Keeley TS-808 > Xotic EP Boost > Fulltone OCD and get a great, versatile tone but wondered if there might be one pedal that could achieve that? As I'm thinking more Andy Timmons tone, I suppose I should consider his signature Angry Charlies although I wasn't enamored with the ordinary Angry Charlie or the Suhr Shiba and Riot.

I did have a Wampler Pinnacle that was fun to play through but it wasn't very dynamic and didn't clean up that well from the guitar volume and also an Xotic BB Preamp, which didn't have the right amount of gain or tone as a straight up pedal into a clean channel (that's how I'd use it).

Any others people would recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Liquid sunshine does great mid gains 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I had a LS for my low gains (great pedal) but not the right bracket here as looking for more gain and sustain than that (between an OCD and a Pinnacle)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    T’is a good question Cos, and I’ve not found the perfect pedal yet for what you describe. Also think the Angry Charlie doesnt quite live up to the hype, although a good pedal. I recently tried a Trutone Jekyll and Hyde - the gained side was pretty good, based on a Shredmaster I believe and had a good Marshall “chunk”on the bottom. Hated the low gain side though.

I’d like to try a Bogner Red again, especially the newer smaller version, as I remember that had a lot going for it. 
    Thanks Dan. I get what you're saying and we've both had the Hermida Unimos, which I thought trumped the Angry Charlie, but that just fell a tad short of what I was looking for.

Wampler seemed to have had quite a few pedals that seem interesting (SLO, Sovereign, Plexi) - any experiences with them to be shared?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6702
    edited March 2018
    Wampler Plextortion covers that well imo. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    You could try the 808 stacked into a Nobels ODR-1. Or for a single pedal the red channel of a blackstone mosfet might be to your taste, kinda like 80's ZZ Top at times. You are welcome to try mine out. 
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Wampler Plexitortion will give you what you want, and just so happens i have one for sale here  =)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125807/fs-wampler-plextortion-pedal#latest
  • Marshall Guvnor. Can be bright but stack it and see =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    Not looking to stack as I have that already. Just looking for one pedal that might do what I'm achieving with 3 :)
  • Lovepedal Jubilee?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Rockett used to do one called the 10 Ton Hammer that was designed for 80's rock - the move to JRAD branding saw this one disappear but worth keeping an eye out as they know how to make great pedals.
  • Yes I know it’s digital but give the Boss OD1X a whirl. I’ve found it can cover edge of break up, through plexi crunch right through to 80s hi gain. It’s just a great sounding pedal to my ears and when playing mine I’m never thinking about its digital circuitry, just its great sound.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    I like the Zoom Hyper Lead for that sort of thing - it's very "rawk" without being overly filthy (unless you want it to). Very useful set of tone controls too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Have you tried the Carpe Diem?    A bit less gain than the pinnacle and more responsive as a result - could do the job 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    Surely you need a Boss DS1 and SD1? What else was around in the 80's, apart from a TS?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Surely you need a Boss DS1 and SD1? What else was around in the 80's, apart from a TS?

MXR D+ Rat Dod 250

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the suggestions and a few there to look out for in the shops and try.

I've also been down Boss/Boss-modded route (ok-ish) although haven't tried the OD1X.

The JRAD pedals have interested me for a while and so they're also on my radar (there was a Marshall one I liked the sound of)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Boss Metal Zone with a graphic EQ after it to fine tune the tone.  The Metal Zone is a seriously good pedal and is perfect for the 80s rock thing.  If you're not mad crazy with the EQ on it, and you combine it with another EQ, you will get the tones you want from it.  

You could also consider the Tightrock from Amptweaker.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    You're welcome to try my Jetter GS3 anytime if you'd like? It's been gathering dust since I've been dabbling with the Helix over recent months! Am not sure it'll be quite as versatile as you need, as I really just zoned in on the transparent drive aspect of it. But it's a very good dual OD pedal which i gigged with for several years so feel free to test drive it even if it's just for ruling it out of the equation!

Thanks D ;)