SORTED - Versatile 80s rock overdrive pedal (single)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I use Pinnacle Deluxe V2. The eq is very different so it needs a bit of spending time but I think it’s great for that tone and with both vintage and modern switch. I actually like the boost and sometimes stack the boost with OCD. But I do feel the eq needs tweaking for different guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Marshall Guvn'r 2 is imho a great sounding and massively under-rated distortion pedal that covers all the bases from a smoother overdrive to a classic Jcm800 tone up to jcm2000 territory. Really good EQ and deep controls. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited April 2018
    Fulltone Fulldrive 3 might seem a bit low gain but if you crank it and run the boost>drive into it then it will have enough if you use humbuckers or your valves are already working a bit. They don't seem to get a lot of love but I rate it as a. it sounds great and b. gives me 4 sounds from one box - pedal off, boost on, drive on, drive and boost on. It's also got a little limiter knob thing that almost feels a bit like a compressor built in to smooth things out.

If you're happy to twiddle knobs on the fly or don't need the sounds to be instantly footswitch-able then I'd give another shout to the Mad Professor Mighty Red. I picked one up for about 40 quid and it was a steal - like a refined MI Crunchbox that actually has a usable gain range.
    Marshall Guvn'r II - one of the most under-rated pedals around, very wide EQ controls and gain that goes from mild OD to full out Marshall grind ala JCM800 & JCM2000.  Plus they are built like a tank. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited April 2018
    I've never owned one but I was impressed with the Vox Satchurator when I used it at a jam.
    My first thought was Boss SD1, which I do have. I presume there's a posh Keeley-modded version out there somewhere?
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Voxman said:
    Marshall Guvn'r II - one of the most under-rated pedals around, very wide EQ controls and gain that goes from mild OD to full out Marshall grind ala JCM800 & JCM2000.  Plus they are built like a tank. 
    You mean the little one, same series as the Jackhammer? If so the two I've had must have been faulty, I never got what you're saying. Mid gain yes, but JCM800/2000, seriously? Jackhammer on the other hand, cranking the OD setting, that's good stuff :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Sorted with the JHS AT Plus!
    edited January 2019
    clarkefan said:
    Voxman said:
    You mean the little one, same series as the Jackhammer? If so the two I've had must have been faulty, I never got what you're saying. Mid gain yes, but JCM800/2000, seriously? Jackhammer on the other hand, cranking the OD setting, that's good stuff
    I have both and I concur that yes the od cranked is way better than the distortion setting. But the Guvn'r 2 is way better for more typical Marshall crunch.  I initially thought I liked the JH better..I bought it after I bought the Guvn'r as I thought I was missing out because of all the good things I'd heard about it...until I ran them side by side...The Guvn'r was way more classic Marshall sounding, warmer, more harmonic, and more flexible.  From time to time I've swapped and put the JH1 on my board. I really like it for 5 mins but then end up putting the Guvn'r back on.

But hey, both are good pedals and we all like different things.