WTB a Bass guitar

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
in Guitar tFB Trader
I’m in the process of finalising some pedals for bass guitar, I’ve been borrowing a bass up until this point, but it’s apparent I now need my own. Any recommendations? Any for sale?

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    edited March 2018
    Thomann have been doing some stonking deals on basses recently 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_m2_whp.htm
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Andertons are doing the new Sire V3 at just over £200 - it can be passive or active and there's a detailed demo vid on their channel
  • https://www.basschat.co.uk/ Is where it’s at for all your bass needs. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    There's loads for sale in the classifieds on here.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    I’ve never heard of the brand Sire, sounds a bit medieval gentry. Any good?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ThorpyFX said:
    Sire was good enough for Madonna and Talking Heads. :)
    tFB Trader
    mart said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Well fair enough then!
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    Basschat has a number of similar threads, with a good level of expertise.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    They are Sire Marcus Miller basses and Thomann have Marcus Miller basses. I don’t know if he endorses both or they are just the same but rebranded or the Sire have replaced the other.
    Andertons say the Sire basses come direct from the factory  to them which helps keep costs down and they are their best selling basses. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited March 2018
    Exciting stuff!

If I was designing a pedal for bass I’d probably want a P and if possible also a J bass.

If it’s a distortion/overdrive the type of bass makes a big difference, but overall a P bass is probably the most popular bass, and J close to that.

I probably would not buy a Stingray as your only bass if you’re aiming at the Fender bass type of market with a distortion, they sound and react completely differently. Though pedals that work for a Jazz can often work well with a Stingray.

IMO it’s not like guitar where you can get away with humbuckers broadly sounding like each other for example. I have 4 basses and there’s very little overlap at all, though the same pedal can work for many of them if the settings have enough range in them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Exciting stuff!

If I was designing a pedal for bass I’d probably want a P and if possible also a J bass.

If it’s a distortion/overdrive the type of bass makes a big difference, but overall a P bass is probably the most popular bass, and J close to that.

I probably would not buy a Stingray as your only bass if you’re aiming at the Fender bass type of market with a distortion, they sound and react completely differently. Though pedals that work for a Jazz can often work well with a Stingray.

IMO it’s not like guitar where you can get away with humbuckers broadly sounding like each other for example. I have 4 basses and there’s very little overlap at all, though the same pedal can work for many of them if the settings have enough range in them. 
    That’s good knowledge, thank you. I’ll have to consider a P bass then as I have a limited budget for this guitar and Don’t want to have to buy more than one or two. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28741
    Would this be an appropriate time to suggest a PJ bass? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    It may be outside your price zone, but I will be selling my Precision soon - possibly parting it out. 1976 Fender Ash body body (stripped natural), US pickups (Mid 90s IIRC) and MiM Jazz bass neck with a rosewood board (slimmer... easier for us guitarist's girlie hands). PM me if you're keen.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339

I'd opt for a P bass. I was and always will be a bassist first and foremost. Most of my basses are Musicman (Musicmen?!) but for a really good all rounder, I would opt for a nice second hand Precision bass.

Whilst it might not be in the budget, a 50s Roadworn Fender P would be great.

Exciting to know you are designing bass pedals! From my knowledge of bass, it seems the popular bass pedals tend to be pre-amp/DI/overdrive/fuzz units.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Can I ask a couple of daft questions? 

If this is about pedals for bass then are active electronics a consideration? To what extent would a pedal react differently to a bass fitted with this?

As 5 ( or more ) strings are more popular now when voicing a pedal do you need to think about how it works down to low B ? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Can I ask a couple of daft questions? 

If this is about pedals for bass then are active electronics a consideration? To what extent would a pedal react differently to a bass fitted with this?

As 5 ( or more ) strings are more popular now when voicing a pedal do you need to think about how it works down to low B ? 
    so... yes they will be, i want to make sure that the pedals work with active and passive (they will)

5 string it is then...  thanks.

ThorpyFX said:
    Turning out to be one of the best-selling bass brands that punch well above their weight.
    mart said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    And Toto
    edited March 2018
    Sporky said:
    Would this be an appropriate time to suggest a PJ bass? 
    And Sire do one of those hybrid models as well but they're over £350 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I would go for a Precision for general use.  

I have a beautiful 1980 Wal Custom, but my Squier P-Bass does more gigs if I'm honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom