Prs singlecut pre lawsuit values?

What's Hot
justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
hi guys, hoping there a few prs experts on here, I’m looking for some advice on the values of pre lawsuit prs singlecuts and also what dates decide a prelawsuit model? Also any differences? Any help would be greatly appreciated as they seem to command a premium and I can’t see why?? Thanks all
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16797
    I would assume the same as post lawsuit, since nothing really changed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
    I thought so can’t understand the price difference? Just people trying to bump the prices up then
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    Because lawsuit innit

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    As far as I recall, there was no specifications changed after the case. They should be the same guitar. Now granted they did do the SC250 and now they don’t do if any of the singlecuts should have a premium it should be this discontinued model. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14583
    I have one. I got it relatively inexpensively because the previous owner had attempted to rectify the extensive buckle rash with a godawful clear coat spray job. (Masking? Wot masking?)

When asked about the pre- and post-lawsuit Singlecut guitars, Smith points out that there is no difference at all. His company complied with the cease and desist order. They stashed the unfinished guitar materials away until the case ended and they were allowed to build and sell the model again. Thus, the last of the "pre-" and the first of the "post-" guitars are as near to identical as it is possible to be. 

Any vendor premium is pure bullshit. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The one I’m looking at was made on the 7/2/2004 and has a 10 top, in whale blue 9.9 out of 10 condition original case and candy, he’s asking £1650 for it, does that seem reasonable?
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    It's in the ball-park/ I've just acquired a Singlecut Trem ( 2006 ) with birds and 10 top for £1600 from a shop. It's in flawless condition and has barely been played.
    Thanks feel a lot more comfortable with the price having heard that, don’t know why but I was initially thinking around the £1200 mark but there’s hardly any for sale to go off, richtone had 1 at nearly £1900 and the last one to sell on eBay went at £967 so I just couldn’t gauge it.
    justtt007 said:
    does that seem reasonable?
    Reasonable pricing is subjective.

Humbucked mentioned bird inlays. These seem to add a little to the asking price. So might gold plated hardware.

The 10 Top thing is entirely dependent on the general quality of the tops used during a given production run. My 2000 Singlecut is a 10 Top and, whilst I happen to find the narrow stripe attractive, it could hardly be described as traffic-stopping. It is just something else that dealers attempt to charge extra for.

justtt007 said:
    what dates decide a prelawsuit model?
    The juice man from Del Monte, he say "2001 to late 2004". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_Guitars#Legal_issues Take this with a pinch of salt. The serial number on my example begins with a zero. Probably means, built late 2000, shipped to the UK in time to be sold early 2001.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This one I’m looking at also has birds, it’s also massively heavy and I mean heavier than my 91 LP standard!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    justtt007 said:
    This one I’m looking at also has birds, it’s also massively heavy and I mean heavier than my 91 LP standard!
    Blimey. And you’re still interested in it?!  :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    justtt007 said:
    massively heavy
    No sissy weight relief from Mister Smith.
    As Boris the Russian said “weight is a sign of reliability and if it doesn’t work you can always hit them with it!” Lol
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    My 2000 non ten top with dots was a.grand a year ago, condition wise it's about an 8. I was happy at that price
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14435
    tFB Trader
    As many have commented no difference between a pre/post law suit  Singlecut model - Shortly after the case PRS discontinued the Singlecut and went SC245 (more for the traditionalists) and SC250 (more for the modern player)

I believe some of the last S/Cut models might have been weight relieved

10 Top + birds will add to the value - as will case/condition - Generally £1200/1600 should cover most options/condition on a private sale, but a bit more for super clean and loaded with 10 top + birds
    Thanks for all the advice guys going to have a look at it after work tonight I think £1650 seem fair giving it’s condition top and birds etc so hopefully will be coming home with it! Thanks again 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    justtt007 said:
    massively heavy
    No sissy weight relief from Mister Smith.

Some of the later "post-lawsuit" guitars were weight relieved, but not all.  If it's "pre-lawsuit" then it will definitely be all solid.

I had a 2001 singlecut for while.  I sold that on consignment in a shop.  I can't remember the exact figure, but after the shop took their commission I think I saw somewhere in the region of £1200 so it probably sold for around £1450.  That was a 10 top, but without birds.  The birds would add a bit to the value.  That was a few years ago though when you could probably find a new PRS advertised for £2.5k.  Now they are around £3k.  Not sure if that has affected second hand prices at all.

£1650 isn't out of the way, but I'd start by offering £1500 for it.

I’ll give £1500 a go, not many out there to choose from that’s why I think he’s so firm on the price 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472

With this one, it would be just under £1500 with shipping, and that's from a dealer:

https://reverb.com/item/9795182-paul-reed-smith-singlecut-2000-sunburst

Don't know if there is any haggle room on that.   Reverb has a Make an Offer button.

Is the one you are looking at a private sale, or a dealer?  If it's a dealer the price is probably not bad for 10 top and birds.  If it's a private sale it seems a bit steep.