NGD :) 2017 MIJ Tokai Love Rock LS150 HDC

What's Hot
SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
As mentioned in the thread about haggling, I picked this up yesterday.  I'd been looking around at various Les Pauls, tried a 2018 Gibson Classic and Traditional but this blew them both out of the park both in terms of aesthetics (IMO, obviously) and playability.  QC is flawless on this, lovely fret work and finishing. 

As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong, any Tokai experts out there - keen to know as much detail as possible about it) it's an unchambered 1 piece back, solid AAA maple top and rosewood board.  The neck has a lovely shape which I would describe as medium to chunky.  I believe the pickups are Tokai's own Vintage Mk II PAFs and it has a Gotoh bridge with brass saddles.  Not 100% on what the nut is. 

It has the UK style headstock with the "nipple" but I actually don't mind it at all.  I'm sure it will be less desirable if it came to resale, but I think it is the least offensive non-gibson shape LP headstock there is. 

Definitely worth mentioning the excellent service I got from Martin and his sidekicks (apologies if you're on here gents, I can't recall your names!) at the Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham.  Cups of tea and good chat for a couple of hours, pulled all of these out of the back so I could try each individual guitar as much as I wanted and I was trying various models too - no hard upsell to the higher models.  I will certainly be using them again.  Really knew his stuff with MIJ guitars and had some lovely Tokai Strats and 335s in too.  I managed to bag a deal that I was happy with and even after the deal was done, Martin threw a couple of sets of strings of my choice in a nice little guitar calendar too.  After a couple of years of mainly online or big shops for most of my purchases, this was a little reminder of why the little shops are still great. 

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Ah, managed to find a spec online on another site: 

The Japan Custom Tokai LS150 Love Rock features include a solid mahogany body; True AAA carved maple top; Long tenon deep set '59 rounded one piece mahogany neck with premium dark rosewood fingerboard; Tokai Vintage MKII PAF humbucking pickups; CTS pots; orange drop Sprague capacitors; Switchcraft switch and jack; Gotoh hardware including aluminium tailpiece, ABR1 with brass saddles; vintage style Kluson tuners; full Nitro-cellulose lacquer finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful! Happy NGD :)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Nice finish too! Great guitars
  • Very nice. Big Tokai fan here. I think your top is probably veneer over a solid cap and the back is 2 piece by the looks of things. The fretwork and playability out of the box of new MIJ Tokais is top notch
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24850
    Very nice indeed - though I was surprised this wasn’t an @ellwood thread.... :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice. Big Tokai fan here. I think your top is probably veneer over a solid cap and the back is 2 piece by the looks of things. The fretwork and playability out of the box of new MIJ Tokais is top notch
    Can't see any evidence of a veneer when I look in the pickup cavity.  It certainly seems to be solid.  Same with the back, I can't see any join to suggest a 2 piece. Can normally tell from looking end on, but I can't see any lines etc to suggest it's not a 1 piece, same with the neck.  Either way, it sounds great :)  
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Very nice indeed - though I was surprised this wasn’t an @ellwood thread.... :)
    Not guilty for a change!

That’s a stunner @SteveF  Happy NGD!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I would have haggled for a pickguard ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Great score!

It was (and is) in the case ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2018
    Thats a bit pretty - that will definitely not be a veneer for the record - on a Chinese Tokai yes, but on a full fat MIJ Tokai like this it is a flamed maple cap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Could be a sycamore cap
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    SteveF said:
    It was (and is) in the case ;)

Stick a Gibson truss rod cover on and it's perfect.

Very, very nice.
  • How much did it set you back? I've found my new Edwards '56-style LP to be all the guitar my USA Gibson is, aside from the finish - and I see this one is nitro?
    How much did it set you back? I've found my new Edwards '56-style LP to be all the guitar my USA Gibson is, aside from the finish - and I see this one is nitro?
    I paid £1600 for it.  It was listed at £1695.  I was happy enough, it seemed to match other prices I've found online for a new one in the UK.  It also blew the spots off the LP classic I tried in a similar price range.   FWIW, I believe this model is a specced as per a '59 (or a '59 reissue?).  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @LaCathedrale_UK I did try the LS128 which is (I think) a 2 piece back and poly finish.  Guitar was very nearly as good as this one to be honest.  I would have been happy enough, but the violin burst wasn't very bursty and I didn't really like the lemon drop they had in. 
    @Philly_Q  I did think about that actually, I was wondering if one would fit - i.e. are the holes the same distance apart?  I might take a punt :)  (If this comment pops up 3 times, I apologise! - I have done it twice now and it hasn't shown for some reason!)

horsehead said:
    Could be a sycamore cap
    From all the specs etc I can find online it is defo maple. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    SteveF said:
    @Philly_Q  I did think about that actually, I was wondering if one would fit - i.e. are the holes the same distance apart?  I might take a punt :)  (If this comment pops up 3 times, I apologise! - I have done it twice now and it hasn't shown for some reason!)

I don't know if the holes always line up, but I put a Gibson truss rod cover on my MIJ Tokai SG-155 and it fits perfectly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great stuff :) I'll take a punt then