What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Philly_Q said:
    SteveF said:
    I would have haggled for a pickguard ;)
    It was (and is) in the case ;)

Stick a Gibson truss rod cover on and it's perfect.

Very, very nice.
    I had considered that actually, I was wondering if a Gibson one would fit i.e. if the holes were an identical distance.  Might take a punt :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    SteveF said:

Very, very nice.
    I had considered that actually :) I wonder if it will fit? i.e. if the holes are the same distance apart.  Might take a punt. :grin: 
    Philly_Q said:
    SteveF said:

Very, very nice.
    I had considered that actually, I was wondering if a Gibson one would fit i.e. if the holes were an identical distance.  Might take a punt :)
    Philly_Q said:
    SteveF said:

Very, very nice.
    I had considered that actually :) I wonder if it will fit? i.e. if the holes are the same distance apart.  Might take a punt. :grin: 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 787
    Spec sounds right. I had an LS150 stamped as uls150 in the bridge pup cavity, 2009 model.  They where £1250 at the time.
    The 1 piece back & neck + the long tenon seem to be what accounts for the price difference. At the time it was the bottom of the premium range with numbers lower indicating multi piece backs/necks and no tenon joint i.e just a 'set neck'. I always thought of it as tokai"s R8/9, which it is on spec. Fine guitars. Mine was a tad under a 10 pounder which seems to be the main difference between the gibbo reissues, weight has never bothered me.
    They're not always stamped in the pup cavities; i have a ls145 goldtop unstamped but from new.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6175
    Stunning that is. You can't go wrong with those Japanese Tokai LPs. There QC runs rings around Gibson.
    I picked up a used LS160/VF from Japan a few years ago and it is simply an outstanding guitar. 
    Definitely instruments for people with more sense than money!  ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveF said:

horsehead said:
    Could be a sycamore cap
    From all the specs etc I can find online it is defo maple. 
    It certainly is maple. The top reminds me of the 2015 HLS Supershop model I had. That was a veneer over 2 piece solid maple cap and 2 piece mahog body.

with the 150 moniker (corresponding to 150k yen) the cap is likely to be a veneer. The non veneer flame Tokais tend to be pricier and with less wild flame.

http://www.hibikimusic.co.jp/brand/tokai/hls_170_f.html

Tokai build incredible guitars. My LS1 R4 sounds as good as the four vintage Goldtops I've strummed (and played better than all of them - with frets you can use and lighter weight than one 54 I've played - yep a few boat anchors emerged from Gibson in the mid 50s, not many but some).

a good overview of the current Tokai range here 

http://www.tokai-guitars.nl

The 70th anniversary ones look gourgeousl. A guy in Switzerland (Vintage Inspired Guitar parts?) also gets in some incredible, special run Tokais.
    They had one of the 70th Anniversary models in VF in the shop the other day.  It was amazing. Just felt a good notch above the 150. I nearly bought it, but I maintained some restraint - the 150 was already a fair bit more than I had planned to spend. If anyone wants one I can heartily recommend that particular one. 

http://thelittleguitarshop.com/electric-guitars/tokai-guitars.html (Third one down)

• SteveF said:
    They had one of the 70th Anniversary models in VF in the shop the other day.  It was amazing. Just felt a good notch above the 150. I nearly bought it, but I maintained some restraint - the 150 was already a fair bit more than I had planned to spend. If anyone wants one I can heartily recommend that particular one. 

http://thelittleguitarshop.com/electric-guitars/tokai-guitars.html (Third one down)

Don't tempt me! I just got an 81 LS100 and have sworn that's my only guitar buy in 2018
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    That is beautiful!

And agreed on Tokais, I've got an LS70, so nowhere near top spec, but boy does it beat every led Paul I've ever tried! 2 piece back, with the sycamore and a poly finish. Mid length tenon and it's now got a stormy money in the neck and a Japanese handwound pickup i won years ago!

Best sound and value for money I can think of out there
  • PukiBusukPukiBusuk Frets: 10
    edited April 2018
    Happy new guitar day,
    Found this great video on youtube, comparing Gibson Custom Shop LP to Tokai Super Shop model. 

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Another vote for Little Guitar Shop. Interesting range of stuff and helpful staff.