Les Pauls: Pickguards?

What's Hot

Comments

• 's'your name Duane Allman?? No?? Then put the pickguard back on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    's'your name Duane Allman?? No?? Then put the pickguard back on.
    Back on? It doesn't even have the holes for it - it's never been on in the first place. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Just dug out my LP pickguard and rested it on the body to see what it looked like.  I felt physically sick and am now going to burn the horrid thing :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Off.  They look like a shit afterthought at best.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I took mine off and then it put it back on. But today my wife told me how ugly she thought it looks. She says they look like orthopaedic plastic. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    People who say “off”, you’re basically saying that Lester William Polfuss was wrong. I think he knew more about guitars than any of us, hmmm?
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Off. 

Unless it’s a custom, when you may be allowed to consider it.

And then take it off anyway.

Good. So we are all agreed and the prophecy has come true - truly @Jerkmoans will actually be correct once.

Excellent.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Off off off!. Al. Day. Long.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited March 2018
    Always off! I bought my '04 standard used a few years ago and the previous owner(s) didn't fit the pickguard so someone had taste.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8766
    People who say “off”, you’re basically saying that Lester William Polfuss was wrong.
    Leo didn’t get absolutely everything right either.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    ellwood said:
    Off. 

Unless it’s a custom, when you may be allowed to consider it.

And then take it off anyway.

Good. So we are all agreed and the prophecy has come true - truly @Jerkmoans will actually be correct once.

Excellent.
    Amen, brother @ellwood.  My Work here is done.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    People who say “off”, you’re basically saying that Lester William Polfuss was wrong. I think he knew more about guitars than any of us, hmmm?
    Les' own Les Paul had low-impedance pickups, a Bigsby and a gooseneck microphone fitted to it, so I think having a pickguard on it is probably the least of his eccentricities :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
     .... same goes for 335s
  • I've left them on all my Les Paul's not overly bothered by visual aesthetics to be honest, more how they sound!

I do notice on some of them there's a rattling sound when doing palm mutes at the bridge end of the guitar so I won't if its a loose screw somewhere near the scratchplate?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I don't mind the look either way, but mine had a scratchplate fitted when I bought it and i was never bothered enough to take it off. Whoever said they rested their pinky on it has identified a good use for it: I haven't played my LP for some time but when I do play a guitar with a raised scratchplate I usually rest my pinky on it. Natch this does not apply to SGs Strats or other guitars where the scratchplate fits flat to the body.

To them that criticise the way it looks (with, without it doesn't matter) I say F__k Off and get a life. Likewise to them that complain because Jeremy Corbyn isn't wearing a tie. Are there not more important things to worry about?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • To them that criticise the way it looks (with, without it doesn't matter) I say F__k Off and get a life. Likewise to them that complain because Jeremy Corbyn isn't wearing a tie. Are there not more important things to worry about?
    No..this is a guitar forum, this is IMPORTANT
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Definitely on. Likewise on any other (electric) guitar - including those that aren't 'meant' to have them.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • I did a similar post a few months ago and I'm still not sure! I prefer the look without but I hate the screw holes more so I opted to leave it on. I also think it looks a bit classier for the wedding band I'm in with it on too, if I was in a propper rock band I'd probably opt for it off.. see what you guys think: 

http://imgur.com/F4RgprE
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4598
    With covered pickups - on.  Uncovered - off.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Off on every occasion