Favourite Fender Custom Colour from the 60's?

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
in Guitar tFB Trader
I have a vintage refinish project in the offing, a '66 Telecaster. I'm 99.9% sold on a slightly aged Candy Apple Red, like this:

Any other suggestions (must be 'period correct') before I commit to this? :)
http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1468
    Sonic Blue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    I would go for Lake Placid Blue.

But whatever colour you choose, my suggestion would be to not "slightly" age it, if that consists of deliberately chipping the edges in a really fake-looking, ugly way.

That would be really nice if it was just the checking - which is what I would call "slightly aged" - but as it is it just looks a mess and like it needs refinishing again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    can't help on what is best for you but have you noticed how many colours on a Fiat 500 are the same/similar to Fender Custom Shop and original 50's/60's colours

I live Taos Turquoise and ice blue metallic on a 60's Tele - but that CAR looks fine
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I would go for Lake Placid Blue.

But whatever colour you choose, my suggestion would be to not "slightly" age it, if that consists of deliberately chipping the edges in a really fake-looking, ugly way.

That would be really nice if it was just the checking - which is what I would call "slightly aged" - but as it is it just looks a mess and like it needs refinishing again.
    As would I, but having some chips, undercoat showing though is not 'fake', my '65 Tele has genuine chips and wear and that is far from fake looking.

'Fake' ageing to me is the belt sander arm wear that Fender CS/MJT et al seem hell bent on insisting is normal for a vintage guitar.

The guitar in the picture is a 1965 original finish guitar (up for $25,000 no less!), that’s genuine wear.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Fiesta Red on a Strat - or CAR on a Tele....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Inca silver. Uncommon, but extremely nice when well done.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Surf green or sea foam green with a rosewood board.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Burgundy Mist.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited March 2018
    Daphne blue.

This is a useful comparison of them all.

http://curtisnovak.com/restorations/FenderColors/index.shtml
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    Surf green with matching headstock, mint guard, plenty of wear. CAR looks great, though.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Shell Pink as long as the ageing is done well i.e. it's not too bright
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited March 2018
    That CAR is nice, I can see where @ICBM is coming from re the "light ageing", although I have seem plenty much worse. I'd like to throw Sherwood Green into the mix...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Always loved Sea Foam & Surf Green but I think Sonic Blue overtaken them for top spot!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited March 2018
    My two absolute favourite Fender colours are Candy Apple Red for a Tele (so spot on @miserneil), and for a Strat, Lake Placid blue (but only once it's aged and 'yellowed' and turns into that gorgeous metallic teal/turquoise colour) - reverse those for my second favourites for each guitar. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Shoreline gold.
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    can't help on what is best for you but have you noticed how many colours on a Fiat 500 are the same/similar to Fender Custom Shop and original 50's/60's colours

I live Taos Turquoise and ice blue metallic on a 60's Tele - but that CAR looks fine
    Yes, I had noticed this about the Fiat colours. I rather like the 500 and it even nicer when you spot them in teh fender colours. I've even spotted burgundy mist. 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    shoreline gold or sherwood green (if that was around in 66)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    Inca silver
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    scalino65 said:

Yes, I had noticed this about the Fiat colours. I rather like the 500 and it even nicer when you spot them in teh fender colours. I've even spotted burgundy mist. 
    they do look cool don't they - probably best looking small 'around town' car - especially convertible
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Got to be Candy Apple Red for me, but with none of that crappy fake ageing nonsense ;). Really would like a CAR Strat, but would have to have a maple fretboard and vintage specs. Think the only one Fender do is the Classic Laquer?