New prs cases made in Costa Rica

What's Hot
justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
I’ve touched a nerve on the prs forum with this lol anyone here think these new prs multifit cases fall short of the older US made ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    You know how touchy those Dentists are  ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
    I take it you’ve seen lol talk about friendly fire! Even Gibson give you a tkl!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    I used to frequent Birds and Moons back in the day ;)

• justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
    The moderator messaged me telling me to shut my trap or he’d nuke the thread! Lol
    3reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14582
    Revise the title to read "Costa Coffee".
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27259
    Are they saying the case is shit? Or do they just object to stuff made by foreigners? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6834
    Any forum I go on it makes me laugh when they go on about US made stuff as though it was the holy grail of manufacturing.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    That thread is precisely why it is best to avoid a forum dedicated to one brand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24850
    lonestar said:
    That thread is precisely why it is best to avoid a forum dedicated to one brand. 
    Agreed - the Naim Audio forum is akin to a cult. Any detracting comment seems to be met with calls to stone the poster to death....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Are they saying the case is shit? Or do they just object to stuff made by foreigners? 
    Isn’t everything made in the USA made by foreigners if you happen to reside anywhere else in the world?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Not seen the new ones but I never liked the PRS cases much anyway.  Much prefer the fitted kind you get with a Gibson.  Much less bulky.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    you can get the PRS cult arguing amongst them selves pretty easily by saying the SE range is as good as core.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    Anyone got a picture of these new cases?  Is it actually a completely different style of case or just a switch to a different manufacturer?

The standard cases are well made but I find them incredibly heavy (the S2 and SE gigbags, on the other hand, I really like).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    sgosden said:
    you can get the PRS cult arguing amongst them selves pretty easily by saying the SE range is as good as core.
    Don't know about the SE range, but I prefer the Satin finished S2s to all 6 of the main line PRS that I've owned and sold.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Gibson USA and Knaggs have both used the same Costa Rican case maker IIRC. They're fine quality-wise, but they are still just as heavy as they always have been, which is to say they are pigs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339

To sell an incredibly expensive instrument in a cheaper case (we all know it is about profit at the end of the day) seems they are cutting corners.

The best cases I've used are the Fender ones like this (used to be made by another company for the American Standards about 3 years before they switched to the Professional line).

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-deluxe-ata-moulded-strat-tele-case-0996102306?LGWCODE=0996102306;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pTqi_Oi2gIVzZ3tCh0RjQRfEAQYASABEgJFXfD_BwE

Fender have a HUGE buying power though. But PRS should be doing something equally as good.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    In fairness, for a company like PRS, whose USP seems to be consistent quality, never cutting corners, not making the mistakes that have troubled Gibson and Fender; this seems like a poorly calculated choice.

Even if the Costa Rican cases are just as good, or even better, it still looks like the start of some corner cutting, some attempt to drive profit rather than focus on the customer.

This is in no way unusual for a business, but it's something that PRS always seemed to say we would never do, but now they're big, they're doing it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Cases noways should be shaped ABS with retro crap being optional. End of. 
    FWIW Musicman cases are ABS but huge for such compact guitars. Fender vintage style are the worst though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited April 2018
    They switched supplier as the original cases they used are no longer available. The current cases are no less in tearms of quality and most would not even notice as they are almost identical. I own PRS guitars from 80s to current and there is no material difference in the cases other than private stock cases. Whats the problem?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Collings said:
    They switched supplier as the original cases they used are no longer available. The current cases are no less in tearms of quality and most would not even notice as they are almost idrntical. I own PRS guitars from 80s to current and there is no material deffrence in the cases other than private stock cases. Whats the problem?
    Perception really, which is important when you're selling 4 grand guitars to the sort of clientele who notice these things.